what to look for in a collectors perfume store

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Seconding what other people said.

Jules is extremely rare and precious in the US. It pops up now and then in France, but 80 is more than worth it. It's an aromatic fougere, with a distinctive note of sage.

Old Monsieur Rochas and Monsieur de Givenchy are also classics, as is vintage Eau Sauvage. Insense' is also worth it, it's a sharp floral, not impossible to find online, but becoming more and more rare.

caci

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Great collections, thanks for posting the amazing photos of equally amazing fragrances. As for the possible shopping recommendations, can only second pretty much what was already said- would definitely get Coriolan, some of the Eau Sauvage flankers/less usual editions, One Man Show, GFF by Gianfranco Ferre, along with almost any fragrance by Jaguar, Jacomo, Givenchy and Dali on offer, especially if they happen to be vintage.

Especially if the price is affordable too, given the more than decent value for money ratio, considering the outstanding quality of the fragrance output achieved by many of these vintages.

The store itself, right down to the display/presentation of the bottles and boxes is, again in my opinion, a keeper.

rybot

Nov 21, 2012
For a second I thought you were talking about Fritsch Fragrances since you are in Kitchener (A great store and the gentleman who owns it is knowledgeable and great to chat with). You say this store is in Toronto - Whereabouts?

scent_king

Jan 27, 2015
Can you guys confirm that these scents such as jules or coriolan will be acceptable for a 29 year old. I won't be able to try before i buy

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Jules and Coriolan are both herbal, Jules perhaps a touch fresher than Coriolan. So they should be fine, neither is particularly musky or powdery (which seems what young people consider "grampa"). That said, they're neither aquatic nor gourmand, which is what most of the shelf at Sephora or the like is.

cacio

rybot

Nov 21, 2012
Can you guys confirm that these scents such as jules or coriolan will be acceptable for a 29 year old. I won't be able to try before i buy

Have not smelled either - However I would hazard a guess that they are not what the typical 29 year old is wearing these days. Hard to find to be sure, but does that mean they're worth buying?

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
To the OP,

speaking purely for Jules, let's just say there are 29 year olds, and there are 29 Year olds.

Jules is similar to Kouros, Yatagan and Lauder for Men. These are regarded as "skanky" scents by some, meaning that they have animalic notes, that don't follow the current fresh, aquatic trends. If you are the "typical" 29 year old, that likes the current best sellers and not much else, then you probably won't like Jules. But if you have experience with scents from the 70's and 80's, then you might like Jules.

Best I can offer. I hope it is of some use.

martinijo

Sep 20, 2011
I doubt these will be quite what you are looking for, but you won't have any problem selling them here if you don't like them. Maybe Dolce and Gabbana's "BY" would be more for the younger man, it is extremely sought after.

scent_king

Jan 27, 2015
I own pour monsieur and enjoy it. And i think thats older than those two (justifying buying to myself)

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
I own pour monsieur and enjoy it. And i think thats older than those two (justifying buying to myself)

Pour Monsieur is more (to borrow a frowned upon term here) "old manish" to a young man's nose, as opposed to skanky. It also depends to some extent whether you have the vintage Pour Monsieur or the current, and it definitely matters whether or not you have the Concentree.

Paul P

Dec 9, 2012
Also, as others have mentioned, you can buy a bottle of Jules for your self, and splash or spritz a little on, and try for yourself. If it's not for you, you can always sell it. I doubt very much you will lose money, and some buyers actually prefer this, as they know another nose has tested the fragrance to see if it off. If you sell it, just describe the history honestly - i.e bought new and sealed from old perfumery, tested a tiny amount, not for me, smells perfect and still 99%+ full, virtually new. You simply cannot lose IMO.

roro

Nov 21, 2012
I would be tempted by the following:

Charles Jourdan - Un Homme
Azzaro Pour Homme
Rochas - Eau de Rochas pour Homme & Monsieur
Givenchy - Gentleman & Monsieur de Givenchy
Christian Dior - Jules & Eau Sauvage Intense
Salvador Dali - Pour Homme

Not sure if you would enjoy any of these, since I don't know your tastes. I can say I would have a tough time choosing just two.
Your photos give the sense that there is a lot more great stuff on the shelves.

heperd

Jun 29, 2011
Please do not buy any of those without smelling first. People on here are very excited because there are a few rare bottles but if you are just looking for something to wear yourself it will be a huge mistake to buy Jules or Coriolan or any other of those vintage bottles. 95% chance that you will not like them.

If you are buying to resell it is a different story. You will be able to make a little profit flipping a few bottles if you want to get into that. Please do lots of research first though. Dont just buy up a bunch of bottles mentioned in this thread because they are going to be much harder to sell than it seems. Jules would be the easiest to resell probably.

Look for YSL M7 and buy it if its there.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I suppose Coriolan could be considered a 'mature' scent. I see 'By' there -- I'd def blind buy that one.

My heart is pumping very fast just looking at the photos!

Master-Classter

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 14, 2009
well, whenever you're done buying.... let me/us know (PM if you prefer) where the shop is. Might be a couple of things I wanna pick up! Thanks

scent_king

Jan 27, 2015
it has come to my attention that I can only get one bottle at this store. I need to get a backup for one of my Chanels so the budget is for one vintage. Now I don't know what to do and its an emergency. Which one should I get out off all of these. So torn

HackerX

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 21, 2004
Just get vintage Egoiste if they have one.

It's so obvious where this store is, just gotta pay attention to details ;)

martinijo

Sep 20, 2011
it has come to my attention that I can only get one bottle at this store. I need to get a backup for one of my Chanels so the budget is for one vintage. Now I don't know what to do and its an emergency. Which one should I get out off all of these. So torn

Is buying another Chanel really that much of an emergency ?
Presumably you still have some and it's readily available anywhere.
Bottom line for me seems to be that whatever anyone recommends here will have practically no bearing on whether you end up liking a scent or not.
I suggest that you try and test the current formulation of anything you are considering buying (if there is a current formulation obviously).
At least you should have a reasonable idea then.

SmellyFinger

May 21, 2014
Later this week i will be going to a cluttered, little perfume store that has been in business since the 60's. Not saying that everything will be old but the place is known to have vintages. Any suggestions of classic vintages or recent vintages to look for and what a fair price would be?

Buy something YOU like and not something WE like or because it happens to be "vintage".

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Bottom line for me seems to be that whatever anyone recommends here will have practically no bearing on whether you end up liking a scent or not. I suggest that you try and test the current formulation of anything you are considering buying (if there is a current formulation obviously).At least you should have a reasonable idea then.

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
If I made a quick visit to a fragrance shop like this, I would rather just buy something valuable and well rated than try to sample dozens and try to determine what I like in such a short time. For two reasons, first of all, this is in my experience better way to score great frags in such situations. Secondly, if it's a miss even after several wearings, you can call it an investment.

littlered

Oct 20, 2012
We have asked the OP the store's location; now can u share if u are willing to?

Sure, it's Fritsch Fragrances in Kitchener, Ontario. It's been owned and operated by the same gentleman for decades. I have found some rarities there for reasonable prices compared to various places online. Going into the store is like stepping back in time. This place is a treasure trove, there are years and years of accumulated fragrances in every nook and cranny. Also, the owner is very kind and helpful, and he knows interesting little tidbits about a lot of the older stuff.

Last edited:

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Sure, it's Fritsch Fragrances in Kitchener, Ontario. It's been owned and operated by the same gentleman for decades. I have found some rarities there for reasonable prices compared to various places online. Going into the store is like stepping back in time. This place is a treasure trove, there are years and years of accumulated fragrances in every nook and cranny. Also, the owner is very kind and helpful, and he knows interesting little tidbits about a lot of the older stuff.

littlered - Thanks for sharing!!!

scent_king

Jan 27, 2015
Well the jules was just aftershave so even though the cats out of the bag now i went there and got a few things i wanted before anyone tried to get it before me

littlered

Oct 20, 2012
Well the jules was just aftershave so even though the cats out of the bag now i went there and got a few things i wanted before anyone tried to get it before me

I'm glad you got what you were after, scent_king :)
I only named the store because I have thought the same thing, but I think a lot of people in the area already know this place well and would have already bought those bottles if they really wanted them.
I hope you enjoy your fragrances!

rybot

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks littlered for sharing, finally! Lol. Guess my suggestion at the thread's start wasn't so far off. Not sure the op had to worry about people flocking to the store to snipe all the bottles. Good store but the prices are not very discount.

Latest News