What Smells Like Original Obsession (Womens)?

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
I was obsessed with Obsession and wore it constantly in the 1980s. I received a bottle of the contemporary version a few years ago and it didn't have that old magic. Can anyone suggest something currently on the market that is similar? Yesterday I wore a sample of Grand Soir and it rekindled my memories and longing. I might get it next autumn if I don't find something closer. Thank you!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
There are quite a few nice bottles on eBay for not much money right now. Nothing compares, you'll spend as much hunting substitutes as buying vintage.

Jardanel

Jul 3, 2008
If you can obtain an older bottle of Must de Cartier, it might fill the gap for you. The current version has, unfortunately, been gutted in similar ways as Obsession. Both Must and Obsession came out in times when people were not afraid to smell and be smelled, unlike today.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
How about Madame X by Ava Luxe?

Sadly, Madame X is discontinued and not currently available.

I assume you've scoured eBay for vintage bottles of original Obsession, no?

Try Fendi (the original) by Fendi. Or Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior.

Would you believe I've never shopped on eBay? Yeah, you would probably believe it.

There are quite a few nice bottles on eBay for not much money right now. Nothing compares, you'll spend as much hunting substitutes as buying vintage.

Maybe I will break down and buy vintage some day. I am hoping to find something new. Grand Soir gives me a similar feeling as Obsession, although it's not the same.

If you can obtain an older bottle of Must de Cartier, it might fill the gap for you. The current version has, unfortunately, been gutted in similar ways as Obsession. Both Must and Obsession came out in times when people were not afraid to smell and be smelled, unlike today.

I did some more research on the other perfume website and circled back to Basenotes and Must de Cartier is recommended on both. But since the current version is also gutted, forget about it.

Thanks, everyone!

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Anné Pliska is a niche scent that is very close: https://www.luckyscent.com/brand/359/anne-pliska

From LuckyScent:

The Scoop
What makes a niche fragrance a classic? It must be timeless, beautifully crafted, sophisticated and sexy. Anné Pliska has it all. She is that little black dress - your secret weapon. Confident and sexy, the world at the tips of her fingers. When she walks into a room people take notice. Bergamot takes the opening bow while a warm opulent amber envelopes orange, vanilla and musk folding them into sheer amber perfection. Geraniums take center stage flushed with a touch of patchouli. Make no mistake, Anné Pliska is one confident charmer with presence and elegance. A classic.

Anne Pliska - Eau de Parfum Notes
Bergamot, amber, patchouli, geranium, musk, vanilla

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
ineespenes;4312ww444 said:
I hope you find it or a good replacement... I've heard that Madame X is suppose to come back in production, but aparantly not yet :/

I will keep my eyes open for the re-release. Thank you.

Anné Pliska is a niche scent that is very close...

Oh wow, Oviatt, it looks like Anne’ Pliska has great potential. It has avid fans and sounds very special regardless of its similarity to Obsession. Thank you so much!

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
You might really love it. The juice is pink, but don't be put off by that! Several reviews here on BN.

Oh wow, Oviatt, it looks like Anne’ Pliska has great potential. It has avid fans and sounds very special regardless of its similarity to Obsession. Thank you so much![/QUOTE]

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Anné Pliska is a niche scent that is very close: https://www.luckyscent.com/brand/359/anne-pliska

From LuckyScent:

The Scoop
What makes a niche fragrance a classic? It must be timeless, beautifully crafted, sophisticated and sexy. Anné Pliska has it all. She is that little black dress - your secret weapon. Confident and sexy, the world at the tips of her fingers. When she walks into a room people take notice. Bergamot takes the opening bow while a warm opulent amber envelopes orange, vanilla and musk folding them into sheer amber perfection. Geraniums take center stage flushed with a touch of patchouli. Make no mistake, Anné Pliska is one confident charmer with presence and elegance. A classic.

Anne Pliska - Eau de Parfum Notes
Bergamot, amber, patchouli, geranium, musk, vanilla
I was going to recommend Anne Pliska, as well. It’s a bit sweeter than I recall Obsession being in the 90’s, but I think they have nearly the same base.

Latest News