What should I buy myself for my 50th Birthday in April?

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Hey all,

I was doing my finances and projecting expenses and most years I will splurge and buy myself a nice fragrance. People I know likely won't buy me a fragrance because I'm fussy about it and they probably don't want to buy something I don't like. So, that's why I buy myself what I want.

So.......what should I buy? I figure it could be something special and I have enough time to buy samples and evaluate.

Here's a list of fragrances that are my "want list" for 2023:
L'Artisan Timbuktu
L'Artisan Premier Figuier
Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur

Here's a list of my "to sample":
CH Bad Boy
Versace Eros Parfum
Fahrenheit 32
Amouage Fate Man

Price is no object for this type of buy, but also, it's far more important that the fragrance be a great smelling one that I will keep on the shelf for life and remember it as a 50th Birthday fragrance. You can recommend anything, it doesn't have to be on my list.

Last edited:

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011
What do you think of Timbuktu? I think it's a solid incense fragrance, but there's so many out there that I prefer more. But if it rocks your world, then go for it.

I'm not a huge L'Artisan fan, but Passage d'Enfer is fantastic if you're after an incense scent with a twist. There is an Extreme version with more emphasis on a wood accord, but it's not harsh as many scents are that amp up the cedar / sandalwood aromachemicals.

Premier Figueur is pretty great, however, quite light. It would layer phenomenally well over the Roger & Gallet Feuille de Figuier (not Fleur the Figuier!) shower gel if you can find it in your neck of the woods.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
From your list, I'd go with Timbuktu - but only if you've had a chance to sample it. The green mango note is fascinating, just perhaps not for everyone.

I took a peek through my own wishlist for fun, trying to think what I'd pick for a milestone birthday where money is no object... I think I'd go with Serge Lutens' Fille en Aiguilles. Dark pine resin, balsam fir, frankincense, holiday spices, and dried fruit. Serge Lutens is my favorite house, and this is my favorite from the house, but I've never picked up a bottle due to the prohibitive pricing--it's only available in the US direct from the Lutens site, for $375/100ml. (I eventually picked up a bottle of Parfum d'Empire's Wazamba instead; not a direct replacement, but the vibe is similar.)

From the bottles I own, my best recommendation would be Chanel Sycomore EDP. Stunning blend of vetiver, cypress, juniper, sandalwood, and a smidge of violet. One I wear frequently and cherish every time. This was actually a birthday present to myself a couple years back.

Pippin06

Life is good.
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Hey all,

I was doing my finances and projecting expenses and most years I will splurge and buy myself a nice fragrance. People I know likely won't buy me a fragrance because I'm fussy about it and they probably don't want to buy something I don't like. So, that's why I buy myself what I want.

So.......what should I buy? I figure it could be something special and I have enough time to buy samples and evaluate.

L'Artisan Timbuktu

CH Bad Boy
Versace Eros Parfum
Fahrenheit 32
Amouage Fate Man

Price is no object for this type of buy, but also, it's far more important that the fragrance be a great smelling one that I will keep on the shelf for life and remember it as a 50th Birthday fragrance. You can recommend anything, it doesn't have to be on my list.
Anything you want! You're 50🙂👍 I'd go with Timbuktu if it were me though.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Hey bud, my first thought is also knowing your love of wet shaving and of older Creeds, I’d throw in Mountain Man by Stirling Shave Company, which is an excellent replica of Silver Mountain Water in my opinion. Smells great and you could get an expensive fragrance, “and” purchase Mountain Man for your 50th too!👍

CeeTee

Dec 30, 2022
Hey all,

L'Artisan Timbuktu

CH Bad Boy
Versace Eros Parfum
Fahrenheit 32
Amouage Fate Man

I know zilch about masc-targeted fragrance, so I will just say Things you probably already know. 😄
Make sure it’s something you still love after 10ml.
Buy the one that will likely disappear/get reformulated soonest.

I bet half of us start debating with ourselves about which fragrance we’re going to get ourselves months in advance of our special days. 👍👍👍

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Early wish to an amazing 50th! Much joy, blessing and honour!

I agree with StylinLA and those who have mentioned your penchant for the classy traditional barbershop style... Regional conditions may be a factor and might take away the full enjoyment with a few of these warmer numbers... Generally speaking of course.

From your list, I would suggest Dominique Ropion's Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur.

Personal suggestion would be MDCI Parfums Invasion Barbare, that is if you don't already own it...

Invasion Barbare.jpg

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I just learned that Guerlain discontinued the rerelease of Derby. How sad! I thought it was still available in the price range of Malle (already pretty high) :(
No. It hung around longer than I thought it would. I sold a bottle about two years ago and it is one of my few regrets.
When I realized I really missed having it, it was gone gone gone.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
No. It hung around longer than I thought it would. I sold a bottle about two years ago and it is one of my few regrets.
When I realized I really missed having it, it was gone gone gone.
I missed the boat. Planned to buy it after using up my decant. This is the risk of that strategy!

Luckily I have found vintage Perry Ellis for Men to be a pretty decent riff on the same theme. Still. There was something special about Derby.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I missed the boat. Planned to buy it after using up my decant. This is the risk of that strategy!

Luckily I have found vintage Perry Ellis for Men to be a pretty decent riff on the same theme. Still. There was something special about Derby.
I have a delusional fantasy that I will go into one of LA area discounters and sweet talk an SA into finding a dusty bottle of Derby on a back shelf.... right next to some vintage Antaeus.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Have you tried Chanel Boy or Le Lion? Those two might appeal to you. You have boutiques in town, so testing is possible!

If you try Bad Boy, be sure to try Bad Boy Le Parfum. I was much more impresed with that one.

Thanks. You are right. I must plan a trip to the Vegas malls! Then order samples for what I can't find here. Luckily I already have samples and know what the 3 on my wishlist smell like. Keep the suggestions coming.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
From L'Artisan I'd go with - Dzing! No other scent have I found FBW from them.

I found Geranium to be "elderly", I myself (being 62) wouldn't buy it.

Fahrenheit 32 - simply put, too sweet, suffocating. I found Eight & Bob Original to be rather similar, yet way better.

Now my great favourite is Clive Christian Timeless - of course just from a sample. But if you can afford, it's a really great, noble scent, worth for a birthday - just as it IS a birthday scent :)

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Obviously, get your nose on stuff to see if anything at retailers strikes you. Having said that, I just looked through your wardrobe. I’ll say two things: (1) I always regret not buying Timbuktu. Not sure the current prices, but if you can find a deal then it might be worth a shot. (2) get you some Guerlain Vetiver Eau De Cologne. It’s vetiver crack, and IMO the best of the Guerlain Vetiver versions.

VanAllan

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 6, 2008
If already tested, both Timbuktu and Geranium PM are very good options (slightly favouring the later...). Not sure about Fate though (you def. need to test it).
Highly recommended (based on your wardrobe' s high rankings): Clive Christian V for Men.
Seconding @Toxicon 's wonderful suggestions: PdE Wazamba / SL Fille en Aiquilles, and, if I may add another favorite of mine: TF Vert d'Encens.
Hope you'll find something memorable for this great upcomming pillar in a man's life. All the best to you.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...