What perfume do you dislike to smell on a man?

lovetribe

Feb 16, 2016
Arpege Lanvin I read that it has something of cemetery flowers ... which I still love. it would be a blind purchase.

Gucci Bloom Gucci is no blind buy

Jardins de Bagatelle Eau de Parfum Guerlain is no blind buy

Pleasures Estée Lauder is blind buy

thanks really

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
Re: what don't you like about a man?

6ZMAJi2.gif

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006

I think we're dealing with language barrier miscommunication here. OP, you're going to get a lot of confused responses...might want to try rephrasing.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015

Arpege Lanvin I read that it has something of cemetery flowers ... which I still love. it would be a blind purchase.

Gucci Bloom Gucci is no blind buy

Jardins de Bagatelle Eau de Parfum Guerlain is no blind buy

Pleasures Estée Lauder is blind buy

thanks really

On Arpege, I can see the logic. On the other three, I'm not seeing how you got there, but I wouldn't go as far as saying I dislike it.

You're ok by me! Clean slate.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006

I like Arpege pretty well and think a man can pull it off, especially in winter. It has such a nice creamy-soft balsamic tone that it seems unisex. Haven’t tried the others.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012

Well, it depends on the "man". It's a question of fit, whether the perfume in question fits the style, attire, and personality of the "man" in question. Some perfumes I don't like, and I won't like them on anyone, be it men or women.

Among the ones listed, I have only tried Gucci Bloom, which I think works better on women but I'm sure some men could pull it off.

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020

I don't mind anything as long as it's not overpowering and and suits the wearer, it's very individual. It's always great to smell a fragrance you would not expect from someones appearance – be it man or woman (there are exceptions like Sauvage, it never works for me and all I smell is cheap shower-gel).

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019

Nothing in particular, but I strongly dislike when people overspray fragrances in a duty shop, doesn't even matter which fragrance. Just the fact of seeing them pick up the bottle and bathe in it annoys me to no end

cpatrick44

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 7, 2020

This first post (combined with the thread title) might be my favorite of all time.

pikemalarkey

Mar 5, 2020

It's always great to smell a fragrance you would not expect from someones appearance – be it man or woman

This is wonderful to hear. I like to try counter-intuitive (and okay, let's say it - incongruous) fragrance/clothing combinations just to see if they magically work but sometimes I do worry that people judge me.

lovetribe

Feb 16, 2016

I was just asking for advice on what you didn't see well worn by a man. I use everything. excuse me.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011

I dislike if they're a nudist and they chase wild boars.

No really..I can't think of how to answer your question at the moment! XD
There are some specific masculine fragrances I dislike..but possibly they might smell okay on some guys..I'm not sure lol.
I sort of want to say Terre D'Hermes though, for example. It sort of smells like a wild boar to me! XD

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011

Another point I want to make too is:

I very often (or usually) make a lot of posts here on Basenotes where I talk about feminine fragrances, and I often recommend feminine fragrances, right?
You guys know though that when I do that, I'm mostly just talking about myself and what I like to wear (on myself) right?
The exact same way how all of the guys who post in "male fragrance discussion forum" are mostly just talking about themselves and what fragrances they personally enjoy (on themselves) too right? Which is fine, by the way, I don't mean to criticize anyone for doing that! (One thing I will criticize though is that it bugs me when some people here on Basenotes always seem to think all fragrance threads and all frgarance recommendations are always meant for men..because clearly this is a "men's forum!" Like..women post here too right? As far as I'm concerned the "male fragrance discussion" section is meant for male fragrance recommendations only..clearly this whole entire forum isn't just a big sausage party..or maybe it is? lol)
Now..I don't tell anyone that "men should only wear fragrances marketed as masculine" or "women should only wear the most feminine perfumes."
Really..to some extent at least..a lot of what's considered "masculine" or "feminine" in the fragrance world has a lot to do with a whole lot of marketing!
I've heard it said, for example (and I fully believe this might be at least partly true) that some women will buy and wear the exact same scents that are marketed as "masculine" if they are sold in a very pretty and feminine looking bottle! Many people say that the appearance of the bottle (the fragrance comes in) can influence how we smell the scent that's in it too!
I fully believe there might be some truth to that..that being said, there are some scents that I just find odd on men.
Once, the most masculine looking guy walked by me out on the street, and I could clearly smell that he was wearing Marc Jacobs Daisy (or maybe Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for women, which smells very similar.) I know what the scent was because I own Marc Jacobs Daisy EDT, and I wore it practically as a signature scent for years!
To me, though..it just seemed really odd and out of place on this guy. Like..I don't know that I would go so far as to say that no man should ever wear a scent that is marketed to women, but sometimes some scents just seem out of place on certain people. I just felt like a completely different kind of scent should be coming from this guy..like maybe one of the Creed masculines (or unisex scents) or something like Sung by Alfred Sung for men. Just..not something flowery sweet..it didn't match his physical appearance, which was clearly manly!
That said..I think people also should just wear what they like too!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020

Modern candy sweet and anything very feminine (although this depends).

I do own Armani Code Absolu myself and it can get cloying BUT it's not really a candied variety sweetness.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006

Ant male/unisex scents do not like in the first place.
Quite probably but neither exclusively nor inevitably in all/any cases overly sweet choices like for instance CK Crave, among many other various options happen to not be particularly keen on at least presently.

Staff online

Latest News