What other expensive hobbies do you guys have besides collecting fragrances????

colognejunkie2000

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 7, 2011
Fragrances are my newest vice but on top of spending money on fragrances, I also spend a ton of money on supplements for bodybuilding, I play music (drums) and that's a neverending money pit, as well as my interest in photography sucks up a good chunk. What kind of hobbies do you guys have that may be costly other than fragrances???

I've always said, "I'd rather have been born rich, rather than good looking."

Last edited:

hedonist222

Basenotes Institution
Sep 13, 2010
Like what Hednic?

I am just stepping into the world of RC Helicopters.
A medium range one with every costs about $1,500. The issue is each medium crash costs about $150 lol.

Others : watches , kayaking , photography (full frame DSLR).

Crofton

Jan 4, 2012
having a girlfriend in Australia was a VERY expensive pass time lol.

drifting which is a money pit as its never ending fixing / replacing parts & buying new tyres.

Shooting (although thats not so bad really)

Futami

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 1, 2008
Unfortunately I have many. Photography, I DJ, I collect vinyl, sound and light gear, sunglasses, silver biker jewelry. And I just transitioned and made photography my career.

and I have to force myself not to collect vinyl toys, i.e. Qee, Dunnys etc. And I would collect swiss watches if I could afford it. I only have two.

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Swiss watches (also, not just by Swiss manufacturers, but also looking out for the hidden gems among non-Swiss brands), clothes, cosmetics (moving towards the high-end ranges and loving it), traditional shaving and grooming equipment, classical music albums, books, vintage wines&spirits, accessories (especially ties, scarves, bow-ties), and, in between a costly hobby and pricey, but well-spent functionality, also: hardware and software, gadgets, TV and hi-fi equipment, cellphones, but this time, not on the flashy, more on the practical and utilitarian side, befitting far more my work, than my leisure/spare time

Last edited:

chrisbar1104

Basenotes Dependent
May 10, 2011
Not into this hobby much anymore, and was more glorified by my childhood and the thoughts, but I was a numismatic. And yes, this was a very expensive hobby (just like this one :) )

mesaboogie

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2011
I'm into photography. I also play/write/record my own music.

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

Anybody who's not a guitar player, here's where my screen name comes from

DSC_0192.jpg

And I'm into cars.

DSC_0116.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

Last edited:

Carvalho Diablo

Basenotes Member
Dec 30, 2011
Another guitarist.

Been playing in bands for over 20 years, and I have way too much gear. Something like 14 guitars and 6 amps, shed loads of pedals and gear. I need to sell a load of stuff that I rarely use tbh.

I have also weened myself off the audiophile trail; I have a seriously expensive system made up of Arcam and Quad separates and speakers, QED cabling, and some BOSE gear too.

I then found myself sniffing round a Michel Gyro turntable and Cyrus separates. Time to stop !

tonghpafu

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 23, 2011
I collect racing die casts (F1, NASCAR, etc) as well as build model kits of classic cars, jets, and race cars.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Nice, interesting thread!

In addition to fragrances, my main (expensive) hobby is collecting/buying music. That's pretty expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as fragrances. Computers/gadgets also take up a big part of my time and money. Fortunately, most of my biggest interests are free!

del

Basenotes Institution
Dec 23, 2011
Photography. I have the Nikon D90 for two years now. Unfortunately, I still can't afford original Nikon glasses.

noggs

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 20, 2007
Wine, whiskies, DVDs, CDs, books, and high end audio. I also like to cook and have an overflowing amount of cookware and kitchen gadgets.

Living in Saudi Arabia has greatly curtailed my buying of alcoholic beverages (probably why I got so much into fragrances when I moved here), but I still buy wines for the racks when I visit the U.S.

heperd

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 29, 2011
Photography. I have the Nikon D90 for two years now. Unfortunately, I still can't afford original Nikon glasses.
I usually just use the kit 18-105 and I have a couple of vintage Mamiya primes that i bought from an old guy at work for $20. I had Nikon mount adapters made for them. 55mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.8.

heperd

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 29, 2011
Living in Saudi Arabia has greatly curtailed my buying of alcoholic beverages (probably why I got so much into fragrances when I moved here), but I still buy wines for the racks when I visit the U.S.

careful.....

Brenster

Aug 8, 2010
Whatsup, another D90 owner here . I also have for it a Nikon18-200mm, Sigma 10-20mm Wide and a Nikon 50mm 1.8
I also collect guns,knives, pottery, action figures, books,sunglasses, wallets andwatches. oh yea and COLOGNE of course. :tongue:

del

Basenotes Institution
Dec 23, 2011
I usually just use the kit 18-105 and I have a couple of vintage Mamiya primes that i bought from an old guy at work for $20. I had Nikon mount adapters made for them. 55mm f1.4 and 135mm f2.8.
The kit lens is pretty good, but I only use the wide end shooting scenes. I have the Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, and the primes (Nikon 35 and 50mm 1.8). I think that's enough versatility because I mainly shoot indoor family events.

Chanzy

Jan 3, 2012
Watches, wine, cigars, serious eating-cooking-dining, surfing, sunglasses, tailored clothing, and most expensive of all: wife and kid.

heperd

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 29, 2011
Whatsup, another D90 owner here . I also have for it a Nikon18-200mm, Sigma 10-20mm Wide and a Nikon 50mm 1.8
I also collect guns,knives, pottery, action figures, books,sunglasses, wallets andwatches. oh yea and COLOGNE of course. :tongue:
i sold my 50mm 1.8 along w my D200 and i need to get another one. Really great, fast cheap lens.

sarıpatates

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 15, 2010
Painting, photography, bass, headphones. None are that expensive. Cooking is the most expensive by far. More than fragrances, but as always I try to be frugal.

Rüssel

Basenotes Institution
Dec 23, 2010
I don't consider any of my hobbies expensive. When it comes to fragrances I'm only a casual user, sticking to the cheaper end of the spectrum, the ones made for the unwashed masses and stingy bastards.

Latest posts

Latest News