what makes a sweetness cloying?

underground

Basenotes Member
Mar 9, 2022
i tried ombre leather. its sweet. ive tried boss private accord its sweet too

these two dont cloy me and smell really like they are supposed to

but stuff like armani stronger with you is an instant cloy for me. unusable imo. mfk 540 is ok but bit its cloying too.

what type of component creates this type of cloying sweetness? what type of component creates the pleasing sweetness?

i cant figure it out

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
The thing that causes a cloying sensation is different for everyone, probably. Based on the two cloying candidates you mentioned, I'm guessing that for you it's some combination of bright woody synthetics and ambroxan, together with the sweetness, and I'd agree.

The two you do not cloy have a bit more heft, and feature backbones of leather and a darker chocolate layer, both of which would offset the full effect of the sweet tones involved.

Basically the former category I'd call sweet + bright, and the latter category would be sweet + dark. So bright/synthetic sweetness might be your trigger. That is also my trigger. I think BR540 is the most obnoxious, cloying thing I've ever smelled and Stronger With You isn't too far behind.

Unfortunately, the core base accord of 540 and SWY is very much "on trend" right now. I think lot of people perceive heaviness, like big vanillas and musks, to be inherently cloying, and to them brightness is the thing that offsets it in an effort to make a "fresh" sweetness. In the end, for me anyway, it's the quality and smoothness of the sweet notes that makes the difference, and the synthetic layers meant to brighten and lighten just come off as harsh and even more cloying that something that's heavier, but uses smoother/better materials.

underground

Basenotes Member
Mar 9, 2022
The thing that causes a cloying sensation is different for everyone, probably. Based on the two cloying candidates you mentioned, I'm guessing that for you it's some combination of bright woody synthetics and ambroxan, together with the sweetness, and I'd agree.

The two you do not cloy have a bit more heft, and feature backbones of leather and a darker chocolate layer, both of which would offset the full effect of the sweet tones involved.

Basically the former category I'd call sweet + bright, and the latter category would be sweet + dark. So bright/synthetic sweetness might be your trigger. That is also my trigger. I think BR540 is the most obnoxious, cloying thing I've ever smelled and Stronger With You isn't too far behind.

Unfortunately, the core base accord of 540 and SWY is very much "on trend" right now. I think lot of people perceive heaviness, like big vanillas and musks, to be inherently cloying, and to them brightness is the thing that offsets it in an effort to make a "fresh" sweetness. In the end, for me anyway, it's the quality and smoothness of the sweet notes that makes the difference, and the synthetic layers meant to brighten and lighten just come off as harsh and even more cloying that something that's heavier, but uses smoother/better materials.
i also tried "huge boss red" along it and it had a weird dusty note to it. i fell in love with ombre leather, gonna sell my unwanteds asap to buy an ombre leather

underground

Basenotes Member
Mar 9, 2022
I'm not sure it's a single note, but usually ethyl maltol or ethyl vanillin are involved.
maybe... but im really happy today because i was able to find a solid frag that i like (lots of ppl liked my other frags because they had less soul unlike The Ombre Leather ive tried today 😀 )

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...