What Is Your Favorite Smell?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Freshly cut grass, heated by the sun.

Night-blooming jasmine.

Epoisse de Bourgogne. (Eye-watering, but also mouth-watering.)
Yes, I’d forgotten freshly cut grass!

I’ve just come back from Googling Epoisse de Bourgogne (remember when we were kids, and had to run to find an Encyclopedia Brittanica volume or a dictionary instead?), and it looks like a freshly baked cheesecake … beautiful.

It definitely doesn’t smell like one, though!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Rouge Trafalgar reminds me of a candy store while drinking a juice drink.
Lucky walking in a fresh field of flowers.
Vanilla Diorama a vanilla cake with some spices.
Eden-Roc walking on a beach with the smell of sea salt.
I love these descriptions!

They make me want to smell them all.

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
I love the smell of my loved ones' skin, as well as the smell of trees and grass (not freshly cut grass though). It does manifest in my perfume preferences as I tend to gravitate towards musks and green scents.

I had to laugh at the “creepy in a perfume” baby skin remark 😂 I do love that scent, though. I held my boys a lot as babies (perhaps too much, but they came out fine so no regrets), and would just breathe in their hair and their scent while they slept in my arms.
Yes, that is the best ❤️

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Yes, I’d forgotten freshly cut grass!

I’ve just come back from Googling Epoisse de Bourgogne (remember when we were kids, and had to run to find an Encyclopedia Brittanica volume or a dictionary instead?), and it looks like a freshly baked cheesecake … beautiful.

It definitely doesn’t smell like one, though!

Simplest way to describe the smell of Epoisse de Bourgogne cheese: week-old dead mouse.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I'm happy for you! I so love Habit Rouge. As I write, am enjoying lovely wafts 12 hours later. Applied before work this morning. To think I didn't like this classic at first!
Thank you!

12 hours, wow - that’s amazing! I don’t think I own anything with that kind of performance. Well … I will, soon 😁. Very, very excited. I believe a Lolita Lempicka is due to arrive on the same day as well.

I had no idea that you didn’t like it at first! mikeperez23 had also mentioned that he hadn’t liked Shalimar at first … and now, he’s incredibly passionate about it. Funny how that works out sometimes!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I love the smell of my loved ones' skin, as well as the smell of trees and grass (not freshly cut grass though). It does manifest in my perfume preferences as I tend to gravitate towards musks and green scents.

Yes, that is the best ❤️
Musks are so nice, and I’ve really come to love green scents over the years as well.

And yes, it definitely is ❤️

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
I love all of these! Rain is one of my favorite scents as well. Falling asleep next to a slightly open window (given the wind is blowing in a favorable direction) during a rainstorm or thunderstorm is my absolute favorite.

I had to laugh at the “creepy in a perfume” baby skin remark 😂 I do love that scent, though. I held my boys a lot as babies (perhaps too much, but they came out fine so no regrets), and would just breathe in their hair and their scent while they slept in my arms.

I must try Nuit de Noel!

Also, thank you for the kind remark ❤️
I still hold my lil guy for a bit when he sleeps - so that's how that came to mind. You can't love them too much :D

It's been raining here and it has been nice.

Hope all have a wonderful day.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Coffee

Old wooden fixtures, think oak furniture, fireplaces etc (reminds me of walking into Santa Maria Novella)

Lillies, although the flower eventually gives me a headache after a few days the smell reminds me of Florence (Honeymoon in 2011)

Warm and Dry coniferous trees

All of your favorites sound beautiful.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Trust me --it's DELICIOUS!
Oh, I believe you!

There’s a store in the city that’s famous for their cheeses … I’ve never been, but my husband has brought home plenty of their offerings over the years. One of his favorites is an incredible, aged Parmegiano Reggiano (I truly hope that I didn’t just butcher that) that stinks like ripe, sweaty men’s feet fresh out of a 10-day-old gym sock after running through a cow pasture.

It literally makes my eyes water and the kitchen will hold the smell for hours after it’s been sliced and tucked back away into its airtight container - but it tastes divine!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I still hold my lil guy for a bit when he sleeps - so that's how that came to mind. You can't love them too much :D

It's been raining here and it has been nice.

Hope all have a wonderful day.
That’s so sweet, Tea_Lilly. I agree ❤️

Hope you and your little one have a wonderful day as well!

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Freshly-sawn Lumber
Tobacco leaves
Licorice

I think these aromas are all used in perfumery, especially niche. The only time I consciously sought out a particular favorite smell was when I had a redwood fence built a couple of years ago. I tried several perfumes that listed 'redwood' as a note and Odin Tanoke came closest.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Freshly-sawn Lumber
Tobacco leaves
Licorice

I think these aromas are all used in perfumery, especially niche. The only time I consciously sought out a particular favorite smell was when I had a redwood fence built a couple of years ago. I tried several perfumes that listed 'redwood' as a note and Odin Tanoke came closest.
These are all scents that I don’t think of often, but now that they are mentioned, they all seem familiar and nice 🙂

I’ve experienced tobacco in fragrance, but have yet to come across cut lumber or licorice. A mini bottle of Lolita Lempicka is on its way to me, so I will be able to cross licorice off of my list tomorrow. I’ll be thinking of your reply!

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
So many great replies!

Among the non-fragrance (or at least only partially, sporadically, incompletely rendered/shown/taken up in perfumery) especially, but not limited to: fir, pine, oak wood and woody notes in general, most spices (excluding too pungent-animalic ones), fruit excluding perhaps a few apple varietals, florals if not too oily/intoxicating/rose domonated smelling, most incense if not too smoky, citrus under almost any both shape and subsequent preparation, mint and several aromatic herbs, earthy lavender.

And while not always a conscious choice, most of these are usually reflected in the current wardrobe.
Simply by enjoying the scent of something previously tested and realizing in hindsight, after the purchase, that at least one or a few, if not more of these notes are obviously noticeable in the respective fragrances.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Simply by enjoying the scent of something previously tested and realizing in hindsight, after the purchase, that at least one or a few, if not more of these notes are obviously noticeable in the respective fragrances.
That’s a great point!

I love mint as well. There is a B&BW Mint and Eucalyptus scent that is so soothing and calming to me.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016

Outside of commercial products designed to smell/taste good, A few years working at a hardware store made me realize I adore the smell of fresh cut pegboard, a weird hyper-treated processed particle board aroma with an oddly spicy chemical facet that comes across as almost oatmeally to me, like porridge made Awith pine dust and noxious solvents. It joins hands with gasoline and sharpies in the “want-to-but-definitely-shouldn’t” side of the olfactory landscape lol.
Am with you on gasoline, although probably not a lot of us. And hate to say vintage again, but you know the vintage gas smelled better before all the additives!!! Or at least memory thinks so.....

For example, some of my most favorite smells are scents reminiscent of the holidays … spicy gingerbreads, cinnamon, cloves, warm chais and crisp pines - however, I am not brave enough to own any perfumes that have these notes within them.
I know you weren't asking for suggestions, but it sounds like you really need to sample Burberry London!!! It's got most of those notes plus some wine or port... very holiday-ish.....

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Favorite smell? I don't know.....too many. But something happened the other day that made me so appreciative of my sense of smell.

I ordered a beer in a restaurant and the waiter brought a lime wedge to go with it. I don't usually put lime in my beer, but it sounded good, so I squeezed the fresh lime into my beer. Later on, I consistently noticed the fantastic lime smell on my fingertips. It smelled so good! Nothing in perfumery can really match it. 🙂

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
Smell is so powerful it elevates the mood in seconds, I learned this as I spent more time in the fragrance hobby.

Gas burning on a speed boat haha that smell is phenomenal I remember it quite well growing up spending time on the lake with the grand parents.

Freshly cut grass smells good imo not sure what I enjoy about it.

Fried foods and grilled food so pleasing to the senses, also homemade pasta just smells excellent.

Leather the smell of leather is excellent.

Pastries and cake I'm not big on sweets but I'm a sucker for these.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Am with you on gasoline, although probably not a lot of us. And hate to say vintage again, but you know the vintage gas smelled better before all the additives!!! Or at least memory thinks so.....

I know you weren't asking for suggestions, but it sounds like you really need to sample Burberry London!!! It's got most of those notes plus some wine or port... very holiday-ish.....
I’m always looking for suggestions!

That sounds fantastic - my favorite seller actually has Burberry London for sale … I noticed it the other day, but didn’t look into it since I’ve never sampled it. Now I definitely want to try it.

Thank you so much!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Favorite smell? I don't know.....too many. But something happened the other day that made me so appreciative of my sense of smell.

I ordered a beer in a restaurant and the waiter brought a lime wedge to go with it. I don't usually put lime in my beer, but it sounded good, so I squeezed the fresh lime into my beer. Later on, I consistently noticed the fantastic lime smell on my fingertips. It smelled so good! Nothing in perfumery can really match it. 🙂
That’s such a nice experience!

I like little things like that. Small things make me happy. A burst of lime on the fingertips for the rest of the night sounds very pleasant.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Smell is so powerful it elevates the mood in seconds, I learned this as I spent more time in the fragrance hobby.

Gas burning on a speed boat haha that smell is phenomenal I remember it quite well growing up spending time on the lake with the grand parents.

Freshly cut grass smells good imo not sure what I enjoy about it.

Fried foods and grilled food so pleasing to the senses, also homemade pasta just smells excellent.

Leather the smell of leather is excellent.

Pastries and cake I'm not big on sweets but I'm a sucker for these.
All of these sound heavenly.

Even the speedboat emissions! We live by the water, so I smell that as well from time to time … it does smell nice sometimes! Kind of like the whole forbidden gasoline thing, I suppose 😆

Freshly cut grass is the best, especially if there’s a little sun shower in there. As for the grilled foods and pastries and cakes - YES. I love the smell of cooking and baking as well!

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
I’m always looking for suggestions!

That sounds fantastic - my favorite seller actually has Burberry London for sale … I noticed it the other day, but didn’t look into it since I’ve never sampled it. Now I definitely want to try it.

Thank you so much!
Welcome..... I just realized I didn't specify I was speaking of London for men. There is a London for women but have never smelled it. Technically I guess they list is as men not unisex, but how can holiday notes be gender specific??? Hope you like it....

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Welcome..... I just realized I didn't specify I was speaking of London for men. There is a London for women but have never smelled it. Technically I guess they list is as men not unisex, but how can holiday notes be gender specific??? Hope you like it....
Gender specific holiday notes 😆

Thank you for clarifying! I was actually wondering the same thing when looked London up online, and realized that there was indeed a men’s and a women’s. I guess I’ll have to aim to try both!

Thank you 😊

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
Two of my favourite smells are walking into a rose garden on a warm mid-June late afternoon and the scent of all the roses mingling to form a gentle cloud of scent is delicious. Sadly, I have not come across a rose perfume that reminds me of it, though I shall keep looking. The other is walking through woodland in Autumn. That cool, damp soil, mushroom'y, dying vegetation with an edge of sweetness is somehow invigorating. Haven't found a scent that reminds me of it either.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Two of my favourite smells are walking into a rose garden on a warm mid-June late afternoon and the scent of all the roses mingling to form a gentle cloud of scent is delicious. Sadly, I have not come across a rose perfume that reminds me of it, though I shall keep looking. The other is walking through woodland in Autumn. That cool, damp soil, mushroom'y, dying vegetation with an edge of sweetness is somehow invigorating. Haven't found a scent that reminds me of it either.
Both of these scenarios have me swooning. I could wander through either of those places for hours if I had the chance.

Please let me know if you find a rose fragrance that echoes these rose gardens! My father grows roses as a pastime and I agree - it must be very difficult to properly replicate both that feeling and that scent into one perfume.

A woodland scent intrigues me as well.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...