What Is Your Favorite Gourmand?

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I love Serge Lutens - Arabie - sirupy dried fruits + spices.
It's not perfect - a bit (too) heavy on cloves - but it's still my favorite gourmand.

For white chocolate try Coromanel, maybe it's your thing.

6af080eb-1f0d-440e-b565-ed62dd182f54_1.3c35e8fd201330342cf70395996cd7bc.jpeg
Agreed...I love Arabie as well.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I own Ummagumma and even though we don't actually know each other, you seem like you're enough for it to me. (y)

Aww, thank you so much! That is such a huge compliment 😊

It’s so odd that I’m intimidated by a fragrance. I think I’ll put it on my “to try” list, though. I kind of have to, now 😁

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Guerlain L'Heure Bleue : almond pastries, and probably some vanilla in there too.
Etro Heliotrope : white marzipan

I definitely got the vanilla in L’Heure Bleue (which I love), but I don’t recall finding almond. I’ll have to see if I can sense that next time, since almond pastries sound delectable.

White marzipan sounds luscious as well.

I’m getting hungry for desserts.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Since marzipan was mentioned among the latter additions to this thread, also taking the liberty to add (both the feminine and the masculine) Paco Rabanne Black XS and also Cerruti 1881 Black among the quite inexpensive but still high quality darker nutty gourmands worth (re) testing

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Since marzipan was mentioned among the latter additions to this thread, also taking the liberty to add (both the feminine and the masculine) Paco Rabanne Black XS and also Cerruti 1881 Black among the quite inexpensive but still high quality darker nutty gourmands worth (re) testing

Thank you, Ken_Russell!

I’ll be reading up on these immediately.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I'm also not a fan of gourmand perfumes, generally speaking. As someone else said, nothing that smells to realistically of edible things. I love the actual smells of various foods and drinks, fruits etc., but I don't want to smell like a cupcake or a crème caramel, or a cup of coffee.

I do like these:
- Carthusia Terra Mia. This is the most explicitly gourmand fragrance I own. It opens with a strong sweet coffee note and there's hazelnut and vanilla, but also florals and wood. The blend is so nice and well balanced. Sweet, but not too sweet, at the limit of what I can tolerate. I think i like it because it has a certain airy quality to it. As if you are outside and catch whiffs of these things. (I disliked both Awake and Follow, fwiw.)
- Coromandel. Even though the white chocolate note is not my favourite (yes, it's definitely there) the whole is so darn gorgeous and not really foody. Very sophisticated.
- Ambre narguilé. A bit too much redolent of baked apple for me, but absolutely delicious and well done (with a light hand) so I recommend to try it, even though I don't have any.
- Five o’clock au gingembre. This Serge Lutens works for me. A gingery, warm amber that is not too sweet. I guess the tea note is why it does not smell like a gingerbread cookie. I like it like that.
- Santal majuscule. Also from Serge, this one is a little odd: it has a dry dark cacao note, along with sandalwood and rose. I like it in winter, very cozy. Again does not smell like a cup of hot chocolate.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I'm also not a fan of gourmand perfumes, generally speaking. As someone else said, nothing that smells to realistically of edible things. I love the actual smells of various foods and drinks, fruits etc., but I don't want to smell like a cupcake or a crème caramel, or a cup of coffee.

I do like these:
- Carthusia Terra Mia. This is the most explicitly gourmand fragrance I own. It opens with a strong sweet coffee note and there's hazelnut and vanilla, but also florals and wood. The blend is so nice and well balanced. Sweet, but not too sweet, at the limit of what I can tolerate. I think i like it because it has a certain airy quality to it. As if you are outside and catch whiffs of these things. (I disliked both Awake and Follow, fwiw.)
- Coromandel. Even though the white chocolate note is not my favourite (yes, it's definitely there) the whole is so darn gorgeous and not really foody. Very sophisticated.
- Ambre narguilé. A bit too much redolent of baked apple for me, but absolutely delicious and well done (with a light hand) so I recommend to try it, even though I don't have any.
- Five o’clock au gingembre. This Serge Lutens works for me. A gingery, warm amber that is not too sweet. I guess the tea note is why it does not smell like a gingerbread cookie. I like it like that.
- Santal majuscule. Also from Serge, this one is a little odd: it has a dry dark cacao note, along with sandalwood and rose. I like it in winter, very cozy. Again does not smell like a cup of hot chocolate.

I do have and really enjoy the Ambre Narguile, but have yet to try the others.

The Gingembre has been on my “to try list” for ages - and the rest sound refined and very appealing. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for them.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...