What Is Your Favorite Gourmand?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I’ve recently ordered two Shalimar minis to try (thanks to a wonderful recommendation in a previous thread), and am now combing through the internet, ogling the vast mini selection available online. I’m itching to try some new things.

What is your favorite gourmand, or a gourmand that you would recommend to a person who is convinced that she despises them?

I’d love to broaden my horizon and challenge my supposed dislikes. I equate “gourmand” with sickly sweet cotton candies, cloying caramels, teenage marshamallow scents and heavy vanillas - and after some time of reading through old threads on BN, I’m quickly learning that I’ve had a very closed view of what “gourmand” really is.

What should I try?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
My surpreme gourmand is Fzotic Ummagumma. Nothing juvenile about it.
Oh wow, what an intimidating name!

I’m very intrigued - off I go to the BN Directory.

Edit: It sounds so interesting! I see that it’s a unisex scent, but do you think that it would suit a woman just as well as a man? I wonder if I would be “enough” for it.

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
These are mine, many of them skew into vanilla territory:

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Guerlain Tonka Imperiale
Guerlain Iris Ganache
Guerlain Heritage EDT
Indult Tihota
Chanel Egoiste EDT/Cologne Concentree
Dior Homme Intense
Dior Feve Delicieuse
Diptyque Eau Duelle
Givenchy Gentleman
Chanel Coroandel EDT
Thierry Mugler AMEN
Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Ambre narguilé is a gourmand I would recommend to anyone! No marshmallows or whipped cream is sight.
About to look this one up as well, thank you!

I don’t mean to speak badly of marshmallows and whipped cream - they are lovely scents at certain volumes, and I like to consume copious amounts of both - I believe Kilian makes a very popular marshmallow-centric scent, if I’m not mistaken. But!

I think I’ve just smelled a pretty bad dose of something-or-other one too many times that was way too much for me at the time (there was a time when clouds of Ariana Grande or something of that nature was constantly hovering by the check-out section at Target - where the cosmetics section stood).

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
I don't think I have a single gourmand fragrance in my wardrobe but I love Histoires de Parfums 1725, it's like a fougere/gourmand hybrid and the drydown is like someone cooking almond, lavender and vanilla cookies somewhere close in my neighbourhood!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
These are mine, many of them skew into vanilla territory:

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Guerlain Tonka Imperiale
Guerlain Iris Ganache
Guerlain Heritage EDT
Indult Tihota
Chanel Egoiste EDT/Cologne Concentree
Dior Homme Intense
Dior Feve Delicieuse
Diptyque Eau Duelle
Givenchy Gentleman
Chanel Coroandel EDT
Thierry Mugler AMEN
Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
Thank you for taking the time to write all of these out!

I’m going to look every single one of these up after I’ve put the boys to bed, and the house is finally still. Can a woman wear a man’s gourmand, do you think - but wear it well?

Also- thank you again for the mini bottle suggestion.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I don't think I have a single gourmand fragrance in my wardrobe but I love Histoires de Parfums 1725, it's like a fougere/gourmand hybrid and the drydown is like someone cooking almond, lavender and vanilla cookies somewhere close in my neighbourhood!
Oh my goodness, this sounds heavenly. Almond, lavender and vanilla cookies? I’m absolutely looking into this one. Thank you!

I’m also proud of myself for recognizing the Histoires de Parfums, thanks to Toxicon 👍🏻

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Hands down, Calvin Klein ck one Shock for Him. It's an evening meal-in-one: starts fruity, moves to herbal/spicy, and finishes with dessert and a cigar. "And by the way, she'll like it, too."
This sounds incredibly satisfying.

So many layers!

Edit: Looking this up as well, purely based on your appetizing description.

perfumer86

Basenotes Member
Feb 16, 2020
I’ve recently ordered two Shalimar minis to try (thanks to a wonderful recommendation in a previous thread), and am now combing through the internet, ogling the vast mini selection available online. I’m itching to try some new things.

What is your favorite gourmand, or a gourmand that you would recommend to a person who is convinced that she despises them?

I’d love to broaden my horizon and challenge my supposed dislikes. I equate “gourmand” with sickly sweet cotton candies, cloying caramels, teenage marshamallow scents and heavy vanillas - and after some time of reading through old threads on BN, I’m quickly learning that I’ve had a very closed view of what “gourmand” really is.

What should I try?
Jako by lagerfield. incredible

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Vanilla Diorama (Dior)
Bonbon Couture (Victor&Rolf)
Le Belle (JPG)
The Only One (Dolce & Gabbana)
The Scent Private Accord (Hugo Boss)
Thank you! I recognize some of these 😊

I can’t wait to read about everything that’s been suggested tonight. Hopefully most of them have coinciding minis or samples!

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
I dislike most gourmands as well, especially anything with a candy note, but there are a small handful of gourmands I do love. Hypnotic Poison, especially in the EDT, has a slightly bitter edge that cuts the sweetness nicely. Serge Lutens' Fumerie Turque, a bit harder to get, is a narguile-type scent with tobacco, honey and roses.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Sometimes struggle with whether a scent is really a gourmand or just leans that way... so some might not consider all of my mentions as gourmand but here goes..

Do you like Fig? There are many great fig scents but my top 3 are Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme, Goutal Ninfeo Meo, and Acqua Di Parma Fico d'Amalfi (Should mention Phylosokos also, like it but not as much as the others, but many others do like it best...it's a bit sweeter).

For a couple more varied options, the Acqua Di Parma Blu Meditteraneo line have a few besides Fico. Arancia di Capri is very much an orange scent with other citrus - some compare it a bit to orange cream soda. I don't find it too sweet but could see how some might. Mandorlo di Sicilia is a nice almond centric scent with a few other food-ish notes also. I find both of these very much summer type scents.

Finally, one that from the notes seems very gourmand but comes across very mature to me, Cafe V by Olympic Orchids. It's got coffee, vanilla, and dark chocolate, but comes across fairly dark. They also have two chocolate scents, Seattle Chocolate and California Chocolate, that are very much more like smelling a high % dark chocolate than a candy bar. Samples are not expensive to give them a try.....

( edit - ok, realize your question was favorite...... but was looking at it more like what are some things that you "might" like...!! If I had to pick one of these I would go with the Ferragamo as it's a little more flexible and an old favorite....)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I dislike most gourmands as well, especially anything with a candy note, but there are a small handful of gourmands I do love. Hypnotic Poison, especially in the EDT, has a slightly bitter edge that cuts the sweetness nicely. Serge Lutens' Fumerie Turque, a bit harder to get, is a narguile-type scent with tobacco, honey and roses.
Ah, yes - I agree! Hypnotic Poison never worked well on my skin (which was sad, because 20s Me deeply wanted it to), but on paper I’d noticed that it wasn’t as intensely cloying as I’d thought it would be. Now that you point out a bitterness, I can see that. Maybe the almond?

I am not familiar with Fumerie Turque, but the combination of tobacco, honey and roses sounds so enticing and attractive.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Sometimes struggle with whether a scent is really a gourmand or just leans that way... so some might not consider all of my mentions as gourmand but here goes..

Do you like Fig? There are many great fig scents but my top 3 are Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme, Goutal Ninfeo Meo, and Acqua Di Parma Fico d'Amalfi (Should mention Phylosokos also, like it but not as much as the others, but many others do like it best...it's a bit sweeter).

For a couple more varied options, the Acqua Di Parma Blu Meditteraneo line have a few besides Fico. Arancia di Capri is very much an orange scent with other citrus - some compare it a bit to orange cream soda. I don't find it too sweet but could see how some might. Mandorlo di Sicilia is a nice almond centric scent with a few other food-ish notes also. I find both of these very much summer type scents.

Finally, one that from the notes seems very gourmand but comes across very mature to me, Cafe V by Olympic Orchids. It's got coffee, vanilla, and dark chocolate, but comes across fairly dark. They also have two chocolate scents, Seattle Chocolate and California Chocolate, that are very much more like smelling a high % dark chocolate than a candy bar. Samples are not expensive to give them a try.....

( edit - ok, realize your question was favorite...... but was looking at it more like what are some things that you "might" like...!! If I had to pick one of these I would go with the Ferragamo as it's a little more flexible and an old favorite....)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! It was so beautiful to read.

I adore figs - I’d recently tried baked figs, honey, caramelized onions and a mild goat cheese on an artisan pizza, and it was glorious!! I honestly can’t imagine what a fig scent would be like, and am very, very intrigued.

Both the orange and almond scents sound lovely - and coffee and chocolate notes are ones that I’ve yet to try, but am very curious about.

I will absolutely be reading up on these as well!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
This may be an ignorant question …

Is bitter almond a whole different scent than almond? Or are they relatively similar … or even the same?

Most of the time something with almond, to me, smells rounded, and comforting, and smooth; and other times a bit bitter with a slight edge. I’ve just realized that there is almond, and then there is bitter almond?

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Thank you!

Many Guerlains to look into tonight 🙂
Guerlain is really the "house of vanilla" in some ways. Guerlain has its own, unique, high-grade vanillin that runs throughout many of their scents.

I'd say sample 'em. I'm not particularly fond of any of the expensive Guerlain gourmands. For me, things like Spiriteuse Double Vanille very polished but lack the "X-factor" appeal.

That said, I am a big fan of Guerlain's more classic, opulent scents in the "amber" family. Despite being a vanilla-centric fragrance, I don't think Shalimar is particularly edible, really, but it's a rapturous, rich experience. Despite its mention in this thread, I think Habit Rouge, Guerlain's masculine-marketed Shalimar equivalent, is even less edible-smelling; it's more of a vanillic, rosy barbershop powder thing.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...