what do you wear when the world turns white?

gido

May 31, 2008
the outside world looks like a christmas tale! the forest are as pretty as any great spring or summer day. the city is covered in a thick layer of snow for the last couple of days. this happens about once a year, maybe twice, which makes it seem all the more wonderful.

snow (and frost) changes something radical about the world around you, and all of a sudden, wearing white outside (especially when the sun shines) looks like a great option again!
i might have to dig out white linen and find out how that feels. no.5! so many things to try and so little time!

so there it is, my question, you've probably guessed it: what is you favorite perfume to wear when the snow has fallen, and why? what would you take on a skiing-trip? and so on..
let the answers snow down.

Twolf

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 26, 2005
Check my SotDs since December 03 -- we are living here in a White Winter Wonderland since then. Scents are staying pretty much same as the whole year round.

Amit

Dec 7, 2005
It snows at various places in North India but not around where I like. It does get cooler sometimes and it's then that scents like Ambre Sultan, Noir Epices, L'Air du Desert Marocain and L'Ombre Fauve get maximum mileage from me :thumbup:

AnnaSa

Feb 10, 2008
Everything is covered in snow here too, it's beautiful and oh so quiet. I'm wearing Cristobal by Balenciaga, my cold weather favourite. To vanilla warms me up, the incense makes it interesting and the sweet fig makes me think of the dried fruits that I love for christmas.

Merlino

Dec 25, 2007
Anything containing a healthy dose of iris and/or heliotrope. I've been wearing a lot of Après L'Ondée lately!

Jane Daly

May 29, 2008
Lately I have been loving sandalwood and incense in the cooler weather. SMN Melograno, LV Musk & Sandalo, Bois des Iles, and vintage Samsara, my latest obsession. They make me think of fires and a warm cozy house. I think I might try Chanel Coco again, as I used to love that one in the winter as well. Last night I wore Monyette Paris which is gardenia (normally a summer choice for me) but I wanted to see how the incense note changed it in the cold. It was perfection.

Everything is covered in snow here too, it's beautiful and oh so quiet. I'm wearing Cristobal by Balenciaga, my cold weather favourite. To vanilla warms me up, the incense makes it interesting and the sweet fig makes me think of the dried fruits that I love for christmas.

I have been thinking of revisiting this beauty but its been a long time since I wore it. Do you wear the edt or edp?

Anything containing a healthy dose of iris and/or heliotrope. I've been wearing a lot of Après L'Ondée lately!

Funny I never thought of Apres l'Ondee as a cold weather scent and tend to hoard it for warmer weather. Seeing as how we are hovering around -20 C I will give it another try. What other heliotrope scents do you like in the cold?

Merlino

Dec 25, 2007
Well, I agree with you that the fragrance structure and ingredients probably work better in warm weather. But the smell of Après L'Ondée is so melancholic and reminds me so much of snow that I still think of a white Christmas even when I'm wearing it in the summer!

Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver is a favourite of mine as well.
Cuir Beluga is good, although not a real heliotrope fragrance.
Serge Lutens Daim Blond (iris and heliotrope with leather).
Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi (which I own) supposedly contains heliotrope though I've never detected it. Will wear it again tomorrow to find out.
Teinte de Neige (again by Lorenzo Villoresi) is another heliotrope favourite of mine (contains a lot of ylang-ylang too) and one of only two fragrances women can wear to really turn me on (the other one being Chanel No19). :eek:

LedByMyNose

Jul 17, 2008
PotL Luctor et Emergo. I don't think frag will ever get old for me. And I wear it enough that it should.

Have also got some CB I Hate Perfume November on the way that I'm eager to try.

Where are you 3xasif? Hope not the prairies. :) Also just noticed your sig is the exact same one I had when I first joined here. :beer: (that smiley is supposed to be saying "cheers" but I'm not sure if it means that or not...just to clarify)

musse

Oct 14, 2005
I tend to wear my most powerful frags in the cold season, to mention a few:

Hypnotic Poison, Angel, Obsession, Shalimar, Un Bois Vanille, Coco (parfum), KM Loukhoum.
Sometimes it can feel rmalplacé but still "right" to wear something like White Linen or Diorissimo too.

Jane Daly

May 29, 2008
Where are you 3xasif? Hope not the prairies. :) Also just noticed your sig is the exact same one I had when I first joined here. :beer: (that smiley is supposed to be saying "cheers" but I'm not sure if it means that or not...just to clarify)

Hi fellow Canadian :wave: I'm in Ottawa. We've had some wicked cold lately with nasty wind chill. Boo!

Will add Divine L'Infante as a surprisingly nice winter scent.I would have thought this was just for summer months, but the amber, vanilla & tonka are really warming in the cold weather. And I just received some MDCI Promesse de l'Aube which is lovely for cooler weather! The sandalwood in this is slightly reminiscent of Samsara, just gorgeous.

Musse, Coco parfum must be stunning.

cello

Oct 19, 2009
I go one of two paths, depending on my mood. One, a heaping dose of Iris in whatever fragrance I have available. Iris Silver Mist is perfect for this feeling of matching the look of the winter wonderland. Or, second, I want to feel warm and toasty with a rich gourmand, or a boozy, spicy amber or maybe a heavy vanilla. Ambre Narguile or something like Frapin 1270 are often the choices.

Anna_P

Apr 11, 2008
Well, tonight I'm wearing Joy parfum to celebrate the beginning of my two-week vacation :D. I normally go for spicy or vanilla-based scents in the winter. The aforementioned Cristobal is also one of my faves, as well as Organza Indecence, Fendi Theorema, Balmain Ambre Gris, Yves Rocher Cocoon, Youth Dew & Youth Dew Amber Nude, Opium and Cinnabar.

G

Guest 3

For me, anything intensely tropical lush and floral shines vividly against winter white weather. For skiing, I'd probably want something sweet and gourmand - vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa, praline...dessert like scents. I'm more a lodge-lizard than a slopes-bunny myself. ;)

kumquat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 31, 2006
I like to wear White Linen in the cold air, also, Rive Gauche really sparkles.
And it's true for me, too, that cool scents with heliotrope or iris are fun to smell in the crisp air. They just carry well. Iris Silver Mist, and of course L'Eau D'Hiver!
Violets are nice, also. Try Caron - Violet Precieuse. The dry-down is worth the wait.

Last edited:

gido

May 31, 2008
Well, I agree with you that the fragrance structure and ingredients probably work better in warm weather. But the smell of Après L'Ondée is so melancholic and reminds me so much of snow that I still think of a white Christmas even when I'm wearing it in the summer!

apres l'ondee is the one i choose after starting this topic. :)
it felt great.

today my judgement was very sloppy. i choose (the original) feminite du bois, a perfume that made a difference for me, last autumn and before, and i love it very much. but... i does not work at all for me today! what was i thinking to spray this in my sleeves...

i wish i had some more great perfumes with a prominent iris note to put on. someday i will try iris silver mist! even if i have to travel to paris for it. note to self: must go to chanel for cuir de russie.

Clemmie

Mar 27, 2007
Ambre Sultan and Black Cashmere almost exclusively. They're my warm. winter frags. They make me feel snuggled.

Merlino

Dec 25, 2007
apres l'ondee is the one i choose after starting this topic. :)
it felt great.

Great to hear! :)

Kumquat: I wore ISM a couple of days ago and it was very nice indeed. Much better sillage and longevity than in warmer weather, too!

Jane Daly

May 29, 2008
For me, anything intensely tropical lush and floral shines vividly against winter white weather. For skiing, I'd probably want something sweet and gourmand - vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa, praline...dessert like scents. I'm more a lodge-lizard than a slopes-bunny myself. ;)

Me too ;)

And I tested your tropical floral theory with Monyette Paris on Saturday night- it was heavenly. I love it more than ever, and wonder if Coquette Tropique would also work.....

Scentryst

Feb 6, 2009
Occaisionally warm, comforting scents like Maharadjah or Feminite de Bois. Mainly though, when it's frosty or has snowed and it's cold but the sun is shining, I'm with those who go with Iris scents: Iris Silver Mist, Hiris, Iris de Nuit but ususally Bois d'Iris - the warm spices and cool Iris and Vetiver are perfect with snow.

Fragranza

Jan 3, 2008
My favourite snow fragrances are:
Dior Diorissimo (vintage)
Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier
Guerlain Shalimar (extrait)
Cacharel Loulou

anais

Feb 25, 2009
So strange, I'm reading this thread and I have to confess I'm reaching lately for iris frags too. I didn't like Hiris when I tested it in the summer and now I own a bottle and 2 back ups. Weird.
I also like in the winter time Un Bois Vanille or Fumerie Turque (this one particularly in the evening).

Latest News