What do you really think of BYREDO??

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
My goodness, this house has been put to the sword here! All intentions of buying Bal d'Afrique is in the gutter now!!!!
Is it really that bad this house???????????

Bal d'Afrique is perfectly fine. I have that one and, while nothing mind blowing, it's a very easy and pleasant, safe in all situations, pick. I also like Gypsy Water but it's been a while since I tried it, so I'm not sure if I feel the same today. My partner wears Mojave Ghost and that's another pleasant, eminently wearable, scent.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
My goodness, this house has been put to the sword here! All intentions of buying Bal d'Afrique is in the gutter now!!!!

No, it isn't and I'm sure Byredo could care less -- no publicity is worse in Houses eyes, I'm sure

Bal d'Afrique is lovely but a little too fem for me

ccdan

May 7, 2017
Bal d'Afrique is a superb vetiver fragrance. Quality is very high, well above average in niche. Unisex in my opinion.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

Fragrances have no gender, and I wear undistinctively fragrances labelled as male, female, or unisex, but as of today haven't found a single of their fragrance that would fit my personality. That said, I would like to smell a few of their fragrances on a woman or a metrosexual person, even if there are way better options around imho.

In a nutshell (for me): not bad, but to my nose, this brand targets primarily the women crowds in the asian market (where people dislike heavy smells).

As for Bal d'Afrique specifically, I found its base overly fruity/sweet, and the fragrance overall forgettable. A very similar great quality fragrance, that leans a bit more masculine and can be found for under $100 online is Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal, that I would recommend any day over BdA.

ccdan

May 7, 2017
A very similar great quality fragrance, that leans a bit more masculine and can be found for under $100 online is Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal, that I would recommend any day over BdA.
It's not very similar, actually it's quite different. The opening is superb in this one too, but in about 1 hour it turns soapy and slightly cheaper smelling. Not bad, but the initial goodness is kinda gone. True, it's a great option for the price it can be had,

FCM415

Jan 25, 2018
Bal dAfrique is a really nice one. Safe and pleasant isn't everyone's favorite descriptors here but it's a good choice for that one go-to that you can wear anytime without feeling like a sellout because as great as it smells, it's not a cheap designer chemical mess. It's a nice woody floral, good vibes scent. I highly recommend it. It's my safest fragrance that I can look forward to wearing. Reflection Man by Amouage while smells different (stilla woody floral though), fulfills the same role for others I notice.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
None of their scents appeal to me. Sellier is OK, but it's is a clone of Malin+Goetz Leather. Bal d'Afrique/Mojave Ghost/Gypsy Water are fine feminine-leaning scents for those who aren't into conventional florals.

Their packaging is very Instagram-able, which I think is where most of the hype comes from.

Janjanjan

Oct 1, 2013
Tobacco Mandarin is a great (if pricey) fragrance that I would own if I was more of a tobacco fan. I have used almost a full bottle of Encens Chembur (now called just "Chembur"). While not ground breaking, the pop of ginger is uplifting and I love a gentle incense note. One of those scents that doesn't wow you with complexity but find yourself reaching for over and over when you need to smell nice and practical. Love the round magnetic caps too, so satisfying.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Patrick Nagel images seem like the perfect visual representation of a Byredo scent.

I can't help noticing that there seems to be a mini-trend of people using Nagel images as avatars. Are we about to have a resurgence of that '80s fad?

(When I looked him up I learned that Nagel died at age 38 of a heart attack after participating in an aerobics fundraiser for the American Heart Association. Can't get much more ironic than that.)

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I think M/Mink is really good, and perfectly straddles that line of shocking art, but also wearable perfume. Most of the time with niche you get one or the other. Byredo sucks, but somehow something great got through.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Patrick Nagel images seem like the perfect visual representation of a Byredo scent.

I can't help noticing that there seems to be a mini-trend of people using Nagel images as avatars. Are we about to have a resurgence of that '80s fad?

(When I looked him up I learned that Nagel died at age 38 of a heart attack after participating in an aerobics fundraiser for the American Heart Association. Can't get much more ironic than that.)

Yeah -- black hair, white face. I hope any resurgence doesn't include Duran Duran

Dying like that though -- ouch! It's like a Jim Fixx syndrome

galbanum09

Mar 17, 2021
Bal d'Afrique is one of the most beautiful fragrances for women on the market. I haven't met a single person who doesn't either love it, are crazy about it, or at least like it.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Tobacco Mandarin is a great (if pricey) fragrance that I would own if I was more of a tobacco fan. I have used almost a full bottle of Encens Chembur (now called just "Chembur"). While not ground breaking, the pop of ginger is uplifting and I love a gentle incense note. One of those scents that doesn't wow you with complexity but find yourself reaching for over and over when you need to smell nice and practical. Love the round magnetic caps too, so satisfying.

I need more than just 'nice and practical' in order to buy a fragrance priced at $7/ml...

I agree it's nice, but to my nose, it's nothing more than a dignified AC Tobacco Nuit (which is already very good on its own), with an extra drop of orange. Noting that I bought my 200ml bottle of TN for $100, that is: $25 for 50ml (vs $330 for 50ml of Byredo's). Just 14X more expensive, for an 'orange twist'... :lolk:

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
For the most part they are just OK. I like that they do have a couple more challenging things in the line like M/Mink, the new Mixed Emotions and Pulp. The only one I own is M/Mink but I've come close to getting Oud Immortelle but something about it bothers me.

The popular ones from the house are pretty boring. I might like Bal d'Afrique if I hadn't tried Vetiver Tonka first. I don't necessarily think it's a dupe, but the scent profile is very similar and the Hermes is so much better. Bal d'Afrique is like a pale photocopy of a photocopy of Vetiver Tonka.

I like the brand enough to usually try new releases, but usually not enough to ever buy anything. I also don't find them particularly overpriced compared to a lot of what else is out there now.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
Bal d'Afrique is one of the most beautiful fragrances for women on the market. I haven't met a single person who doesn't either love it, are crazy about it, or at least like it.

I totally agree. Nothing else I wear gets as many compliments or attention as
Bal d'Afrique. I wear it over the body lotion and it is magical.

Latest News