What difference in scent does spraying on you clothes instead of your skin make?

Crema

Mar 20, 2021
Im a total cologne noob I dont know anything. What I've always done is if I want a cologne to last a long time I spray it on my shirt instead of my skin. What does that do to the scent? I've read before you're not supposed to do that if you want it to smell properly.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Heat makes a perfume evaporate faster. So sprayed on clothes, perfumes project much less but last longer. Depending on the perfume, it's possible that clothes will project fewer notes than skin, but overall, I'd say it's more a matter of preference (ie how strong/long lasting you want a perfume to be).

Also, you need to make sure that the perfume doesn't damage the clothes. Usually they don't, but a few perfumes can stain.

cacio

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Heat makes a perfume evaporate faster. So sprayed on clothes, perfumes project much less but last longer. Depending on the perfume, it's possible that clothes will project fewer notes than skin, but overall, I'd say it's more a matter of preference

cacio
This.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
For me the fragrance becomes dead, i.e. it's not being allowed to interact with your skin and natural oils which makes it unique to you.

Jul 20, 2017
I usually spray overly synthetic fragrances on clothing (ie Carolina Herrera) and more natural ones go on skin but there are exceptions. After a while it just became instinctive.
Most citrus-centric fragrances I will usually spray on skin but try to get some on clothing to stretch the longevity a little. Most naturals getting skin time allows them to warm up and pop once they mingle with your own skins oils. Experiment and find what works best for you.

There is someone that comes to mind that would always smell great no matter what fragrance they would wear and it was ALWAYS on skin but they always exuded a lot of heat.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I never put fragrances on skin because anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body and these fragrances contain many toxic compounds. Clothing is safer. I do great with clothing and don't miss fragrances on skin at all.

Beck

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2014
The difference is that the clothes get smelly instead of you.

JK. Fragrances develop differently on fabric and on skin. You will notice this clearly when you’ll gonna like a fragrance on a tester strip and then, when you try it on your skin you’ll notice it smells way different.

Rüssel

Basenotes Institution
Dec 23, 2010
Fabric can't get cancer. Re smell, it will react slightly less to body heat?

I used to spray on skin only, convinced that it doesn't smell quite right on clothing, but changed my mind lately.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Skin and clothing together works best for me. If I apply on skin only, it’s a more casual experience / less immersing.

pluran

Basenotes Institution
Mar 2, 2006
Im a total cologne noob I dont know anything. What I've always done is if I want a cologne to last a long time I spray it on my shirt instead of my skin. What does that do to the scent? I've read before you're not supposed to do that if you want it to smell properly.

Wear it anywhere. On clothing it usually smells best on natural fabrics.

Janjanjan

Oct 1, 2013
Everyone has their own approach so feel free to do what works for you Crema! I personally noticed that I was starting to develop skin sensitivity on my chest where I was spraying perfumes so I had to switch to clothing. I still use my arms to test fragrances but when I am wearing from a spray option I always use clothes. Bonus, the scent also lasts longer.

new but older

Basenotes Member
May 13, 2020
here is my take on it and it is approaching it at a different angle. The fragrances I don't like, the ones I will not wear. I put a few sprays on towels that I don't use. Maybe, I will spray some on clothes hanging in the back room too.
I don't have a problem with that. This gives the room a nice fragrance. I avoid wearing the ones I don't like but I am utilizing the fragrance as an air freshener.
The question is how much should we use on our skin? That answer is different for every each one of us. : ) and it depends on the fragrance absolutely.

Last edited:

BloodKils

Mar 31, 2021
I never put fragrances on skin because anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body and these fragrances contain many toxic compounds. Clothing is safer. I do great with clothing and don't miss fragrances on skin at all.
Same here. But not because of toxic compounds, but because all fragrances smell better to me when put on clothing. Maybe it got something to do with my skin..

Last edited:

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016

I usually spray on my hair after I'm done styling it and then again on my clothing.

I do try samples on my skin and on paper though. I will also state that many perfumes I love don't play nice with my own skin and have an 'off' smell, but are great when on paper or clothing or sprayed on a scarf or in my hair. Chanel's Cuir de Russie is a prime example here.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Fabric can't get cancer. Re smell, it will react slightly less to body heat?

I used to spray on skin only, convinced that it doesn't smell quite right on clothing, but changed my mind lately.

Yes I'm with yer on this. Skin felt like the ultimate experience. However, I'm enjoying under and over shirt sprays. Immersive is a good description.
Big baws fragrances I've been using lately, been working very well on under shirt.

Plus do you feel more liberal when applying to clothes? I must say it feels this way, been upping the dosage to at least 5 sprays this way.

Subhuman

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 21, 2010
There's nothing inherently wrong with spraying your clothes (unless you wear particularly delicate fabrics and/or spray particularly dark juices). If it works for you, keep doing it.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020
Whatever rules you hear, I'd break them just to see what the other way is like and what works best for you.
I also had read the advice not to spray on clothes and only sprayed on skin. Now, my skin is dry and eats up fragrance like no tomorrow. One day I tried directing one spray on the clothes, et voila! I could finally enjoy the fragrance throughout the day.

richmilton

Jun 9, 2016
Old thread but if you reapply throughout the day you're probably best to spay on clothes to avoid rashes and nasty chemicals
getting into your blood stream. If you're a 1 application kinda guy then probably not an issue. For me, I found 1-2 sprays on the inside of my undershirts gets me the best of both worlds. Body heat projection and longevity as well as the ability to reapply without the negatives. Sometimes I apply before I put on the undershirt. YMMV

EDIT: My suggestion is primarily for self enjoyment. Not if you want room filling projection. In that case, outside of shirt on shoulders and sleeves.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Frag-head science, similar to stoner science!
No official data to support, yet I get the feeling, you'll experience in most cases, better longevity (won't burn off as quick as skin?) And what I really like, is a "slo-mo" evolution.
Personal experience: the top notes will hang on, everything is slowed down, mids and bases open up, and base will hang.forever!

Try a furry throw/blanket. Even better! The juice hangs Offa the fibres, and even further slow and magnified evolution.

Finally.for those of us who infrequently sport a blanket,shawl or throw as part of our daily get up... Spraying on clothes that will get some body heat is a good halfway ! For this, mostly chest sprays, warms u throughout the day giving the best of both!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...