What did you try today? (2022)

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
OK, I lied.

As part of a disorganized attempt to get organized, I managed to dig out my other Tauer samples, including one of L’Eau that I hadn’t added to my wardrobe. So, onward.

Andy Tauer - L'Air des Alpes Suisse

Inspired by the beauty of the Swiss mountains.

The head notes are fresh like a breeze from treeless mountain summits: rough granite ground, the cool air from the glacier, and bitter alpine herbs.

The heart notes are fresh, green with hints of spices. Floral delicacies such as the red Alpine lily bloom on lush meadows, powdery, spicy, green.

The body notes are inspired by alpine forests on cliffy slopes: the woody warmth of timber, larch and beech, with the sweet amber perfume of dry earth in the sun. notes are inspired by alpine forests on cliffy slopes: the woody warmth of timber, larch and beech, with the sweet amber perfume of dry earth in the sun.

Some interesting, quasi-alpine notes go whizzing by as the opening carves its way down through the heart, but soon enough it snowplows to a surprisingly generic, tonka-laden woody amber—more Swiss Miss than Swiss Alps. It’s fine as such things go, but it’s not what one comes to Tauer (or spends Tauer money) for.
Yea I remember really disliking the base of this one. Further evidence that tonka might be the note I dislike in the base of a lot of indie/artisanal brands.

Is tonka a prominent element of the "taurade"? I've tried several Tauer and the dry down never jived with me. The only one I really liked was Incense Rose.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Is tonka a prominent element of the "taurade"? I've tried several Tauer and the dry down never jived with me. The only one I really liked was Incense Rose.

I don’t think tonka is prominent in most Tauer scents. To my nose, it has a musky texture and a nut-like smell. A little goes a long way; a lot goes in the recycling pile.

d r e

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 24, 2018
Le Monde Gourmand La Vie Positano:

Smells like a mixture of Sol de Janeiro 62 and LMG Sel Ocean. If you haven't tried those, it's kinda like a fresher, less salty version of Stronger with You. That salty caramel sweetness with a mild aquatic fresh note.

It's a bit thick for a LMG, but still thinner than most gourmands, decent nose feel as usual. Smells nice, unisex, mild performance.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Andy Tauer - L’Eau

L’Eau is inspired by a lemontree in bloom on Andy Tauer’s veranda in crisp Zurich morning air. Clean lemon blossom joined with crisp shimmering iris flowers. Bright musks and ambergris with a hint of timber and sandalwood.

Really nice. I can't speak to longevity yet, nor any surprising changes in the deep drydown, but for me, what separates this from your run of the mill eau de cologne are the iris and ambergris notes. The lemon is also a particularly pretty one, neither a super-sweet lemon drop nor a sharp Lemon Pledge, but closer to the combination of blossom fragrance and rind oils that might indeed have been carried on the word to Andy Tauer's prodigious nose. Too bad it's discontinued; it's leagues better than L'Air des Alpes Suisse.

Last edited:

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Andy Tauer - L’Eau

L’Eau is inspired by a lemontree in bloom on Andy Tauer’s veranda in crisp Zurich morning air. Clean lemon blossom joined with crisp shimmering iris flowers. Bright musks and ambergris with a hint of timber and sandalwood.

Notes forthcoming.
This one is short-lived but I admire its delicate, precise construction.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I don’t think tonka is prominent in most Tauer scents. To my nose, it has a musky texture and a nut-like smell. A little goes a long way; a lot goes in the recycling pile.
Yea, I need to revisit the house. I tried a few of the classics (LADDM, Lonestar) on a trip to Twisted Lilly back when they had a store in Brooklyn but I was relatively a noob then. I've tried a few random ones since from Luckyscent. Off the top of my head: Incense Rose, Alpes Suisse, Sundowner, Phtalo Blue, Cologne du Magrheb. Didn't find anything I really loved but Incense Rose comes close. Maybe I also need to try a larger decant or from a spray bottle.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Andy Tauer - Phi—Une Rose de Kandahar

Phi is a luxurious scent, inspired by a natural extract of roses produced in Afghanistan's rose region, Nangarhar. This rose oil is extremely rare and of highest quality. Inspired by these roses, growing in a dry and rough land, Phi is a rare gem, complementing contrasting lines, rich in natural raw materials that add depth and authenticity.

I think I’m going to have to try Phi again—lots of mask-on, mask-off today. Still, I did cram in as much nose time as I could, and what I got was something that smelled good and eminently wearable, yet that intrigued me more than it moved me. The rose was elusive, not in a “not present” way, but a “hide and seek” way. Even at its most prominent, it felt standoffish, like a beautiful stranger who looked away every time I tried to catch their eye.

I don’t normally associate roses with aloofness. Perhaps Une Rose Chyprée will be more engaging.

Last edited:

firstascent

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 10, 2022
A bunch (every one on display) of Tom Ford Private Blend’s

I was on the hunt for a TF Fall fragrance to add to the collection. I already have Tobacco Vanille, and F’ing Fabulous although I don’t really consider that a Fall scent.
There wasn’t a single one that really impressed me, at least for the vibe I was going for. And I was trying hard, I wanted to buy one since there was a sale and I had a gift card. I tried… no luck though.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021

Silex Ys-Uzac​

Sprayed it on and recoiled at the familiar wall of minerals similar to that of Ganymede somewhat nauseating however underneath it’s the scent of hot rocks was present ,as I give everything a fair chance I resisted the urge to scrub this shit off and will update later when I have a chance to sniff again and see it’s development

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
amber-fever.jpg

It's quite a soft scent compared to the other Manceras I have tried, but am intoxicating scent all in all. I really like the note pyramid. This one will be good for early fall and late spring weather.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Andy Tauer - Une Rose Chyprée

If a chypre can brood, Une Rose Chyprée does. Spicy and dark, this references vintage chypres without the musky heaviness they sometimes have in the base, but also without the full-on vibrancy I associate with the genre—a rose in moonlight rather than under the sun (a là “Spanish Harlem”). It’s a beauty, but alas it’s discontinued and subject to unicorn pricing when you can find it. Which won’t stop me from looking.

I'm going to pick that rose
And watch her as she grows
In my garden

Last edited:

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Received an unsolicited sample of Paragon by Initio, I think it's their most recent release.
Very lactonic and creamy scent. Reminds me of 21 by Costume National (which I have and prefer). Nothing to write home about, should cost 1/5th of the asking price.

Saffanad by PdM
This is a funny one. Ironically I kind of like it because it made me think "this is what those rich ladies on the yacht in A Triangle of Sadness smell like" :D Wouldn't wear, wouldn't buy.

CharonLRdraws

Ledi Perehodov Arts
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2022
Very Good Girl Glam- I'm reminded of candied cherry sweets.

Eternity Moment- On my skin I'm reminded of walking in a field of flowers and I finally found an Eternity fragrance that works for me.

Musc Noir- I will be getting a bottle of this next month because it works really well on my skin.

Opium EDP- The older formulations where way too clawing this one I can actually see myself wearing.

J'adore Parfum d'Eau- To me this is light and airy and very pleasing need to test this on skin.

Last edited:

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
@Toxicon talked about SL Fils de Joie in the Feminine Cheapies thread. I blind-bought a bottle because I like how SL does jasmines and I was not disappointed. It bears a resemblance to Tauer's Le Maroc Pour Elle, but I find Andy's heavier and spicier. This will hold a nice spot in my wardrobe between the jasmine light of A La Nuit and the dark Sarrasins. Thanks Toxicon!

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Retested Tropical Musk by Jovan after a very long time - a minimal musky, a very sweet yet clean, even soapy rendition of an inoffensive, almost laundry like rendition of this note type (luckily do personally like this particular fragrance, as well as its more general category and most of the scents from Jovan)

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Last night I tried Profumum Roma Antico Caruso.

The resemblance to the Le Male DNA is strong, but I also had a sample of MFK APOM which is also a cousin to Le Male and this is really similar to the Profumum.

Side by side I preffered Antico Caruso because it is slightly fresher and more natural smelling where APOM is a little more powdery and musky. I also noticed for the first time the slightest bit of skank in APOM , like a tiny drop of civet behind the cloud of powdery musk.

On the dry down the two became nearly identical to my nose. I'd highly recommend the Profumum to anyone mourning the discontinuation of APOM.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
80759EFA-190F-44B5-A6E5-A9266DD6D5CA.jpeg

Bravanariz - Bosc

The closest thing to a walk, at dawn, through the bowels of a humid forest of oaks and holm oaks. Cozy as a bed of freshly fallen leaves. Warm and fresh at the same time, it seduces and envelops you with its greenery and woody heart.

Bosc, in Catalan, means “woods”. Dead beech leaves, juniper, oak moss and ferns. Plant transpiration and a shelter for wild animals. The forest incites fear, mystery and attraction at the same time. This bottle encloses the enchantment of the Salines mountains or the shadowy slopes of the Bassegoda, where the Pyrenees begin to show their teeth and the tramuntana wind tousles the lush blanket of foliage.

Bosc is indeed a walk in the woods, a journey through changing terrain. One thing it ain’t is linear. Instead, every step of the journey is engaging, whether it’s in the shadows of giant conifers or practically wading through thick moss. Although longevity is a healthy average, I could wish for even more, but that’s hardly a shortcoming.

I bought a 10ml bottle blind from a fellow BNer before I realized I already had this sample. That turned out to be a fortuitous choice!

Last edited:

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
CZECH & SPEAKE Spanish Cedar

Smoky, woody, boozy. Fruitiness and cloves suggest a slight bay rum tone atop a cedar-sandalwood base.

Worst you can say about it is that it's compositionally a bit rudimentary and direct, but sure to appeal to folks who like their barbershoppy stuff to be a bit rugged.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
- Chanel Paris-Paris. Very nice patchouli-rose with a bit of sparkle. However, I feel like I've smelled this many times and it's nothing special, just nice.
- Guerlain Epices exquises. Nope, I really did not like this at all. Not smooth somehow, and there was a slight "oud" smell - which I wouldn't necessarily mind, but for whatever reason I just took a dislike to this one.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Gave the Le Labo City exclusives another sniff today since it's the last day and I was passing by a boutique.

I tried Benjoin, Citron, Mousse de Chene, Tabac, and Musc. They are all pleasant but really forgettable, I said this before but in the late dry down they all start to smell alike. They are just so vague smelling. Citron is a pretty fresh jasmine, Musc is a nice chanel-esque powdery white musk, Tabac is a nice semi sweet tobacco that doesn't go too dark. I find Benjoin really forgettable, I can't even describe what it smells like. Mousse de Chene is my favorite and I was going to spring for a sample of this one but they were out. It is spicy woody green, has a tea like note to me. The dry down for all of them is a vague musky woody thing. I can tell them apart but, but they all smell so flat and boring after awhile I'm temped to take a shower so I can spray something else on. I'm wearing 5 perfumes right now and I'm bored.

I confirmed once again I'm not missing anything when they disappear till next year.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
117FCF20-5800-40A8-8221-FE383C1D098E.jpeg

Bravanariz - Muga

Muga is the most floral and aromatic of our Landscape Scents. Dynamic and ever-changing, vigorous and almost impertinent, like spring. You can feel the buzz of bees and the quiet sexuality of rosemary, immortelle, chamomile and lavender.

Muga is the name of the river that crosses the Alt Empordà, connecting the mountains with the sea. The river plays the role of matchmaker in this strange marriage between two opposing worlds. They say it used the exuberance of spring to bring them together, and the river’s fertile waters helped unleash their affair.

"Quiet" isn't a word I'd used to describe Muga, a lush, steamy concoction of herb-spiked lavender and immortelle. It's not quite like any other fragrance I've smelled, which jibes with the perfumer's story of contracting phantosmia and then trying to render his olfactory hallucinations real to others via all-natural perfumery. I couldn't say if it's true, but it's a great story and a great scent, so I don't care.

Last edited:

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
CARNER BARCELONA Black Calamus

The best scents from this house are almost uniformly authored by Rodrigo Flores-Roux, who seems to have taken the opportunity to flex with Carner Barcelona's budget.

Calamus is perhaps my favorite aside from the magnificent Sandor 70's. It's a dark, herbal, enigmatic, warm take on oud. This reminds me a bit of the aesthetic of Clandestine Laboratories (mix CL's Silver and Assam and you might get something like this).

Last edited:

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
BF26705A-BB15-40D2-BEAB-02B4FF6EF537.jpeg

Diane von Furstenberg - Love Diane

Love Diane is a flirty, feminine fragrance with fruity top notes, hints of jasmine, licorice, and soft praline.

BN has no reviews, so I’m taking one for the team.

I expected to hate Love Diane, but the scent alone is too innocuous for hatred. The fruit, floral, and foodie notes are all so blandly artificial that you could forget how it smells while you’re wearing it: think sugar-free cotton candy.

The worst part is that it’s almost insultingly “feminine.” It’s as if it the fragrance were necessary to remind you and the people around you that you’re female, and yet it has nothing interesting to say about femininity. I expect better from Diane von Furstenberg than Barbie-in-a-bottle.

Pass me the soap.

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...