What did you try today? (2022)

CharonLRdraws

Ledi Perehodov Arts
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2022
1 Million Elixir- Reminded of apple pie which was nice, and a love at first sniff.

Invictus Platinum- I love how this is smelt on a test strip and I need to get round to trying on skin.

1 Million Parfum/Wanted by Night- Putting these two together because they reminded me of certain sweets and I can't put my finger on which one.

Only the Brave- Similar ballpark to Invictus Platinum but I liked it.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Berceuse - Alegretto 7.2

How does melancholy become beautiful? Listen to the stirring, sombre second movement of Beethoven’s 7th symphony and imagine how it might smell. Dark, sweeping, poignant: this is Allegretto 7.2.

A study in theme and variations, Allegretto 7.2 is built around Haitian vetiver that brightens and darkens as it develops, layering earthy scents, smoke, and lavender.

Allegretto 7.2’s notes recede and repeat rhythmically. A fresh mint top note poises in the air like a conductor’s baton, soon giving way to swirls of smoke, roots, and moist green leaves. Aromas of fresh-turned earth and wild vegetation join lavender and herbs at the heart. Then, as it falls from its crescendo, Allegretto settles on a warm base of cedarwood, vanilla, and benzoin. With its dynamic, seductive pulse, Allegretto is vetiver transcendent.

Florid marketing prose aside, this is a handsome bouquet of vetiver and herbs. I await the drydown, which I hope will be less centered on vanilla and benzoin than on a naturalistic cedar.

My hopes were realized: the vanilla and benzoin were barely even bit players.

Last edited:

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Made a trip to Hollywood Scent Bar. They recently got Roja Apex in stock.

My nose wasn't in a very good mood...maybe the scent I was wearing twisted things. But I tried Apex on a card and got little to hook me. It didn't smell bad by any standard, but there was nothing I could hook onto.

Picked up a small bottle (10ml) of Bois Imperial and it wasn't pricey but not really connecting with this one yet.

Tried Vacation and though it probably leans a bit feminine, I kind of like the suntan oil type scents - no idea why. I am so not a beach guy.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Berceuse - Alegretto 7.2

How does melancholy become beautiful? Listen to the stirring, sombre second movement of Beethoven’s 7th symphony and imagine how it might smell. Dark, sweeping, poignant: this is Allegretto 7.2.

A study in theme and variations, Allegretto 7.2 is built around Haitian vetiver that brightens and darkens as it develops, layering earthy scents, smoke, and lavender.

Allegretto 7.2’s notes recede and repeat rhythmically. A fresh mint top note poises in the air like a conductor’s baton, soon giving way to swirls of smoke, roots, and moist green leaves. Aromas of fresh-turned earth and wild vegetation join lavender and herbs at the heart. Then, as it falls from its crescendo, Allegretto settles on a warm base of cedarwood, vanilla, and benzoin. With its dynamic, seductive pulse, Allegretto is vetiver transcendent.

Florid marketing prose aside, this is a handsome bouquet of vetiver and herbs. I await the drydown, which I hope will be less centered on vanilla and benzoin than on a naturalistic cedar.
I loved this one. Dark vetiver done well. Didn't notice much vanilla, though.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Amouage - Al Andalus Attar

Intense and magnetic, Al Andalus penetrates with force in the most hidden desires of the imagination. Fresh, pungent and aromatically seductive, Al Andalus enchants with the sighs of orange flowers, corolla jealous that you catch only at dawn, coupled with radiant touch of lemon and rosemary. A mixture of odorous substances that play with light and dark. Intensely bright in the head notes, has a heart full of lily of the valley, clary sage and geranium, sparkling essences of sophistication that tickle, inspire, enlighten olfaction. The base of Al Andalus fades on a nocturn harmony filled with sensuality and notes of sandalwood, oak moss and musk.

Unlike Tayyiba, the orange blossoms in Al Andalus don’t dominate, nor does the floral heart. The primary accord I get is of lemon-freshened rosemary, a somewhat unusual and throughly refreshing aroma supported by a lovely but subtle mossy-musky base. Superb longevity, too. Thumbs up!

Last edited:

darakhshan12

Basenotes Member
Aug 6, 2022
Please use this thread to discuss which fragrance you tried for the first time, or that you sampled today.

Try and add a bit more context than just the name of the perfume - perhaps a few words about what you thought about it, or what led you to try it?

If you have a lot to say about the fragrance you've just tried, please consider starting a new thread about it as well :)
tried my penultimate Shauran fragrance - Baroque,

firstascent

Jun 10, 2022
Fragrance Du Bois - Oud Bleu Intense

i got this as a free sample with a recent order earlier this week, it’s quite a lovely scent! Something in it gives me a Gris Charnel vibe (which I love but don’t own), not a clone in any way just some similar notes, yet this one is much more pricey!

anything with oud in it I’m still hesitant but I really like this one! I did read that the oud is light in here though so maybe that’s why? Haha

the first oud fragrance I smelled was Tom Ford Oud Wood, not a fan by a long shot and unfortunately it literally reminded me of Ajax, the cleaning product. So now I’m all hesitant when I see oud in the name :)

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
the first oud fragrance I smelled was Tom Ford Oud Wood, not a fan by a long shot and unfortunately it literally reminded me of Ajax, the cleaning product. So now I’m all hesitant when I see oud in the name

That was a particular synthetic oud that’s not even fairly representative of synth ouds, let alone real ones. So, don’t let the word scare you. There are some wonderful oud scents out there, natural and otherwise.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
CARNER BARCELONA Palo Santo (2015, created by Shyamala Maisondieu)

The name is curious. This is boozy-milky-toffee-woods, through and through (maybe a *hint* of some of the creamier tones of palo santo, but you really have to squint). Predominant feeling is warm milk dosed with rum.

I can't decide if it's repulsive or appealing. A bit of both?

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Beaufort London - Coeur de Noir

Inspired by the relationship between the sea and the art it has inspired. Pen and ink drawings of yachts, libraries of nautical fiction and tattoos are all referenced here in this enveloping, dark fragrance.

Accords of black Ink dominate; spiced rum; papers lost and found; the familiar dry accords of leather bound books balanced with warm enigmatic notes of vanilla pipe tobacco. All finely based around a dark heart of birch tar and labdanum.

I did enjoy the strong birch tar and leather notes, my principle reasons for this selection. However, the composition could’ve breathed more. While I’m not on Team Vanilla, vanilla makes sense as a balance to all that dirty, dry manly-man stuff. Alas, this vanilla was nearly as dry as the rest—and not terribly enigmatic, I’m afraid.

Understandably, this is a hit with those seeking testosterone in a 50ml bottle. For a fragrance inspired by art and the sea, though, Coeur de Noir seems a rather earthbound exercise. Lime and ambergris might seem too literal, but a smidge of each would’ve gone a long way here.

Last edited:

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Givenchy EAU de : cologney.
Dior Homme Sport latest... Mmm... nah..
Prada L'homme water splash : loving original, this is a nice lighter alternative.

Estee Lauder's "exclusive to John lewis' line... Seemed fairly simple, perhaps built.to be layered. Nice bottles and magnetic cap. The floral leather and spicy amber are th two that stood out.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Beaufort London - Vi et Armis

Described variously as 'chaos in a bottle' and 'an alchemist's Christmas party,' this addictive fragrance is a celebration of that which is smoked: lapsang souchong, heavily peated whisky, dark tobaccos, spice, and opium combine to produce an intensely provocative fragrance using heavily ‘overdosed’ ingredients. Paradoxical and challenging—singular and narcotic.

Vi et Armis is indeed “a celebration of that which is smoked.” Fortunately, it doesn’t emulate the smoked meat smorgasbord of Le Labo Patchouli 24. Instead, it opens like a pine forest on fire, all camphor and cinders. Once this forbidding phase fades, the lapsang souchong and Islay single malt come to the fore, though the barrel for the latter is still flame-licked.

The net result is unbalanced by anything smoke-free, but at least they didn’t try to put out the fire with vanilla ice cream. Masculine to the point of self-parody, methinks the fellas at Beaufort could use a woman’s touch—even if it’s Ronda Rousey’s.

Last edited:

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Beaufort London - Vi et Armis

Described variously as 'chaos in a bottle' and 'an alchemist's Christmas party,' this addictive fragrance is a celebration of that which is smoked: lapsang souchong, heavily peated whisky, dark tobaccos, spice, and opium combine to produce an intensely provocative fragrance using heavily ‘overdosed’ ingredients. Paradoxical and challenging—singular and narcotic.

Notes forthcoming.
This is another one that could definitely be described as testosterone in a bottle. One of the most powerful smokey boozy things I've ever smelled, I got a sample randomly thrown in with another purchase when I was just first getting into fragrance and I remember thinking "wtf is this???" 😆

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
MERCEDES-BENZ Man Private (2018, created by Olivier Cresp)

Very similar, particularly in the opening, to Ropion's Oud Malaki, but with less of a "spice market" ambiance. It eventually goes its own way, moving towards a surprisingly satisfying drydown mingling lavender and resinous tones.

Not earth-shattering, but very nicely composed.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Current formulation Samsara EDP, in the new-ish line but actually more traditional, MDM/Eau de Guerlain inspired bottle rather than the initial mono-color red one:

a more clean, soapy and smoother sandalwood rather that the darker, smoky incense style one from its older formulations

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
This is another one that could definitely be described as testosterone in a bottle. One of the most powerful smokey boozy things I've ever smelled, I got a sample randomly thrown in with another purchase when I was just first getting into fragrance and I remember thinking "wtf is this???" 😆

Yes, I deliberately queued it up next as a sort of “pissing contest” (though there’s nothing pissy about either Couer de Noir or Vi et Armis). I’ll edit my thoughts about VeA into my initial post, but it’s certainly different from CdN, although similarly challenging in the opening. Dr. T. was not a fan, but she’s warmed to it a bit since it passed the “punch you in the nose” phase.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Yes, I deliberately queued it up next as a sort of “pissing contest” (though there’s nothing pissy about either Couer de Noir or Vi et Armis). I’ll edit my thoughts about VeA into my initial post, but it’s certainly different from CdN, although similarly challenging in the opening. Dr. T. was not a fan, but she’s warmed to it a bit since it passed the “punch you in the nose” phase.

I'd expect nothing less from a brand started by a member of The Prodigy, firestarter indeed! Although its not to my taste, I give him credit for making a legitimate and pretty interesting brand and not just some tossed off vanity project. I'll always carry the strong memory of my relatively noob nose experiencing this for the first time and being shocked at what perfume can do. The sometimes unexpected glory of random unrequested samples!

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
The sometimes unexpected glory of random unrequested samples!

Most of my ridiculously large sample library was acquired in reasonably priced bulk buys from people who had indulged their eclectic tastes but eschewed hoarding. The result is a wide range of (at least theoretically) interesting scents I might never have sought out individually. The surprise factor alone keeps me entertained.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Beaufort London - Fathom V

A fragrance for the intrepid: challenging preconceptions of what ‘Aquatic’ truly means. In contrasting the above and below, light and shade, we imagine the eternally changing state of the sea—in constant flux between calm and wild.

Salt meets earth, sparkling herbals blend with dark mosses, bright floral notes meet intense dark spices and pepper.

Per the above, Fathom V is not your father’s aquatic, but rather a thoughtful interpretation of what an aquatic can be, and thus quite workable for one as aquatic-averse as myself. The top has green notes that brighten like citrus; the base, an animalic salinity that suggests real ambergris or a really fine approximation. In the middle of all this is lily, though not the off-putting funereal lily that I cannot abide. Not quite like anything else I’ve worn, from Beaufort or anywhere else.

Then again, my wife thinks I just smell like a flower. Go figure.

Last edited:

Texanna

Basenotes Member
Jun 11, 2010
Testing Diptyque Volutes edp today. I quite like this one. Judging by the dabber vial application this could work well as my warm autum weather tobacco scent. Worth tracking down a spray sample/decant and that’s more than I can say for the last several things I’ve sampled.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Several Gloria Vanderbilt fragrances apart from the classic Vanderbilt EDP- good to downright great variations on the fairly traditional Vanderbilt style, but also with solid additional freshness while also keeping up above average performance in each.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News