What did you try today? (2022)

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
Wore Tom Ford Noir EDT for the first time, it feels like an ethereal version of Habit Rouge with a hint of milk chocolate.

Tempted to also pick up Grey Vetiver and Beau de Jour.
I thought of Habit Rouge when trying Noir as well. I think it was two years ago now. Do try the other ones! :) Worth a shot

I tried Tom Ford Extreme recently. Mmm, loved it. Maybe not the most suitable for this summer but I doubt the decant will last through the fall.

Will1968

Jun 12, 2022
Please use this thread to discuss which fragrance you tried for the first time, or that you sampled today.

Try and add a bit more context than just the name of the perfume - perhaps a few words about what you thought about it, or what led you to try it?

If you have a lot to say about the fragrance you've just tried, please consider starting a new thread about it as well :)
Just as we came out of lockdown last yr I bought a bottle of Ted Baker XO from the perfume shop outlet store as it was on offer around £15.00. I wore it once but I have a habit of thinking all scents now are beginning to smell the same, so it went to the back of my tray. HOWEVER I tried it again and WOW I actually love this scent as it has a very pronounced Musk scent on the drydown, as well as vetiver and other spicy notes and accords. This is now vying for top spot in my signature scent list.

mixerscent

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 9, 2013
I thought of Habit Rouge when trying Noir as well. I think it was two years ago now. Do try the other ones! :) Worth a shot

I tried Tom Ford Extreme recently. Mmm, loved it. Maybe not the most suitable for this summer but I doubt the decant will last through the fall.

Extreme or Noir Extreme?

I'm liking these lighter TF's like Noir EDT and Grey Vetiver, and have the new Beau de Jour on the way.

Did you try TF Extreme or Noir Extreme?

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
Extreme or Noir Extreme?

I'm liking these lighter TF's like Noir EDT and Grey Vetiver, and have the new Beau de Jour on the way.

Did you try TF Extreme or Noir Extreme?
Now I tried TF Extreme, the discontinued one. Too bad I liked it that much :) Could be tricky to buy more. I have a decant of Noir Extreme as well and that one is nice too!

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
Now that the weather's warmed up a bit, l'll return to the remaining three "warm weather fragrance" samples from Ebenas' fabulous giveaway earlier this year, starting with Citron Citron by Miller Harris:

This opens with a burst of refreshing, zesty citrus, mostly lemon with a twist of lime, to my nose. And although other notes come along to join this accord, l find it's sustained for the duration of the fragrance on my skin, something that few citrus fragrances manage to achieve. Mint & basil come along within the first five minutes, & all of these notes are very clear & natural-smelling, with not a hint of household cleaning products or air fresheners. One hour in, the cardamom adds a subtle spicy warmth without ever turning curry-like, & then later the cedarwood grounds it all without obliterating the freshness of the citrus-herbal accord. Others have remarked on poor longevity here, & it's true that it settles quite close to the skin after the first few minutes, but for me it's still clearly present for many hours when l sniff my arm, only beginning to fade around nine hours in.

l very much enjoyed this, & l think it would make a perfect pick-me-up to cut through the sluggishness that hot & humid days can bring. Thumbs well up!

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Revisited several things in a quick run through the mall:
From Louis Vuitton:

California Dream: I dunno there's something woody/scratchy in this that recalls floor cleaner, my least favorite of the bunch.

Cactus Garden: the notes sounds great but I have trouble getting much from this. If I sniff hard I get a vague herbal greenness. I've tried this several times and still not sure what it smells like, I guess it doesn't leave an impression.

Afternoon Swim: a really happy fragrance, smells like sweet orange candy with a "designer" ambrox base. I don't mind this one but it's just too generic for the price.

On the Beach: didn't like this when it was first released, but after trying it a few more times it has become my favorite of the range. The mix of sweet and fruity with herbal and woody is more interesting than the others and doesn't smell like anything I've smelled before. Sometimes it smells like fruity candy or herbal essence shampoo and then I get a contrast with herbs and woods which makes me keep smelling.

Byredo Pulp: I tried this long ago and didn't like it, but I think my tastes have opened up to more adventurous things and I'm appreciating this now. First off, it makes the LV feel like meek and mundane in comparison. Synthetic fruit syrup, but there's something woody and something tart that balance the sweetness in a good way for me and lend a juiciness. I might have to pick up a 50ml of this.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
A061ED14-DEA4-45D3-BF43-5869ACBE7705.jpeg

Sous le Manteau - Vapeurs Diablotines

Cinnamon, vetiver and clove: a succubus’ sillage heralds your coming. Dominant even when subdued, you quench your thirst to the essence, to the fleshy, carnal substance of love. An animal wreathed in styrax and castoreum fleece, your gaze pierces through lies and disguise, your desire ever yearning for the most intimate, to taste naught but the naked truth of each one. Forgiving nudities, you know the ways of love, you charm away through life…an aromatic spicy scent based on a 19th century love potion.

Vapeurs Diablotines lives up to its description as "aromatic and spicy," as well as "devilish." No brimstone, though: rather, the initial animalics and spices are joined by incense and citrus to sustain the naughty with ever-flowering nice. That's the sort of devilry I can easily embrace. FB worthy, for sure—and I'll be seeking out more samples from SLM.*

*Just bought a set of five.

Last edited:

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
3A3519FF-5E8C-47B4-BAF3-C65D034C2962.jpeg

Libertine - Smoked Bloom

We bask naked in the nectar of the island’s golden treasure. Amber glints of splintered sunset rise from rolling waves. A sentry wisp of smoke rises from our growing fire. They came claiming conquering but their names now whisper forgotten and their ash feeds our supple soil.

Perhaps this was reformulated, as the one BN review before mine claims it’s all smoke and no bloom, whereas my perception is diametrically opposed. Smoked Bloom opened for me with a blast of jasminesque osmanthus, after which the floral “smoke” cleared to reveal stone fruit and citrus. My wife picked up synthetic sandalwood that I didn’t get; neither of us noticed smoke or fire.

In any case, the scent is a hard pass, which goes double for the inane “poetic” description.

Jun 10, 2022
went into the store a little worried, had a short list of fragrances to smell I kept hearing about (nothing new, but new to me) and was worried I'd love and want them all. I ended up not getting any of them :)

First up was Terre D'Hermes both EDT and Parfum. reviews aren't lying when they say Woody, it's VERY Woody! I don't know if it was because it was a hot day or maybe I just don't like it, but it was a little much and didn't make me say WOW. I'll try it again in a few months but don't think it's for me.

Next up was Replica Jazz Club. To be honest I don't remember what it smelled like but I remember thinking I don't care for it much. It was different, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it. It was just OK. Horrible description I know, maybe I'll have to try again or similar to above, maybe it's just not my style.

Grabbed a few random others off the shelf to smell but nothing that caught my eye (nose?).

Apr 8, 2021
Freckled and beautiful. Scrubber. That "milky" note and a vague biscuity smell made me queasy. Yuck, sorry.

Better luck with Mon Vetiver (Essential Parfums). Fresh, nothing powdery or earthy here. Slightly masculine-leaning but wearable for a woman. Actually I'd love to smell this on a man in summer. Lasting power was not fantastic.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
D9BB8929-34A6-4A25-8F01-6F2F189ACC30.jpeg

Commodity - Leather

This rich composition shuns the usage of real leather, but utilizes the best natural raw materials to evoke the supple texture and raw sexiness inherent to new leather. An aromatic blend of balsamic labdanum, an animalic black leather accord, and a spicy, woody Akigalawood® accord.

“Leather is a very personal and passionate source of inspiration for me. I wear black leather almost every day. I love the feeling of it, the way it sounds, the way it smells, its magnetism. My preference for leather is luxe, thick, ultra-shiny, velvety to the touch and very redolent. I measure my leather by a mixture of shine, thickness and suppleness and, of course, its sensual scent." - Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Commodity’s Leather was launched as part of the Platinum Collection back in 2017. Commodity shut down in 2019, but was rebooted in 2020, with the original scents rebranded as the Archive Collection.

Perfumer Flores-Roux has done a fine job of evoking leather, combining old-school ingredients like IBQ and labdanum with newer aromachems like Akigalawood. The net result should please leather purists well enough—it even softens with time like leather.

It might read as a bit two-dimensional to those who prefer leather as a component of a more expansive composition, However, its price of $125/100ml is inexpensive as niche goes, so I suppose folks with an upscale budget could use it just for layering.

I like it as it is: cheaper and, to my nose, better than Tom Ford Ombre Leather. Thumbs up.

Last edited:

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
From my trip to Ulta today:
Dior Homme by Christian Dior - I finally got my nose on this, I really like it, adding to the list.
Polo Cologne Intense by Ralph Lauren - I like it.
Polo Black by Ralph Lauren - I love it.
Ombre Leather by Tom Ford - Exact same as my Vintage Suede by Cremo.
Sauvage Elixir by Christian Dior
Acqua di Giò Absolu by Giorgio Armani
Armani Code Absolu by Giorgio Armani
Y EDT by Yves Saint Laurent
Y EDP by Yves Saint Laurent
Y Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent
L'Homme Le Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent
Bad Boy Cobalt by Carolina Herrera
Invictus by Paco Rabanne
Invictus Platinum by Paco Rabanne
K EDT by Dolce & Gabbana
K EDP by Dolce & Gabbana - Adding to my to buy list.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Test run with my blind bought bottle of Quorum Silver. Lovely stuff. Bright, airy take on spiced woods. Opens with ginger, bergamot, and mandarin, but there's a very present cedar note from the get-go. Sniffing the bottle cap, you get a hint of "freshly cleaned hamster cage", but it's much more pleasant on the skin. There's a bit of cardamom, very light nutmeg, and pink pepper swirling around in here, too, but it's light enough that it doesn't feel like a cool weather fragrance. All in all, this has a lot in common with Azzaro Visit (which I love) - very similar notes, and the cedar accord is nearly identical, but Visit wears quite a bit darker and heavier due to the incense and increased sweetness. Quorum Silver has some of the same sweetness, but it's dialed back a bit and feels lighter and brighter overall. We'll see how it does on longevity - it lasted quite a while when sprayed on paper, but I suspect there's some hefty ISO E in the base because I'm noticing it drift in and out. (Probably sprayed too close to my face and went a bit nose blind.)

Last edited:

du57in

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 21, 2014
Smelled Radio Bombay by DS Durga last night. A long time ago I bought a bunch of aroma chemicals to assist in identifying them. One of them was Timbersilk. That is all I smell in Radio Bombay. And I'm not a fan.

Oct 22, 2021
Last Spiritum Paris
9 - Final Spirit: Spicy opening with a slightly fruity undertone. As it dries the fruitiness gets a bit stronger, but is overtaken by the woody, spicy base. After a while it reminds me a lot of L`air du désert Marocain, but is still different. There is less spice and some leftover sweet fruitiness. The dry woods and spices with incense are done very well.

I was going to pick up a bottle of L`air du désert Marocain, but now I'm considering picking up this instead.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
That’s a fair point, and I thought about that when I was writing it—though apparently not enough. I should have qualified it more carefully. Thanks, and I’ll fix it in a bit.
No problem, not every day you get to write a Mark Twain comment. I guess I would word it "those of us who find it at TJ Maxx for $25 can layer"....:LOL:

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
9C15AC51-CC06-402D-B183-D2AE3287C98E.jpeg

Oriza L. Legrand - Horizon

After the shock of the First World War, the fashion and decorative arts of the Roaring Twenties reflected a burning desire for exotism and a fascination for far-away lands.

Asia offered new Horizons. The frenzy for transcontinental travels inspired artists to transcribe Asian cultures in their creations: new works of silk embroidery, pearl dresses and necklaces, heady, woody, suave fragrances…

In the euphoria of the Roaring Twenties, females unveil their bodies, drop the corset, tomboys come out of their closets and women languidly smoke. People start getting naughty in private Parisian clubs.

Materials, colours and shape symbolised a newfound sense of freedom and herald the hope of a new Horizon. An ambery fragrance for boys and tomboys,

At the height of its glory, Oriza L. Legrand created Horizon in 1925, to celebrate the Roaring Twenties and the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts, an Amber fragrance for boys and tomboys full of Precious Woods and an Ambergris showcasing its Blond Tobacco and Leather facets.

Horizon’s got a heap of notes, and the opening wraps them in amber and fairly whacks you on the nose with all of them at once. Talk about putting the “roar” in the roaring ’20s. But, just like WWI, the shock wears off after a while, leaving an almost tame accord of patchouli and pale tobacco. I would wish for it to ramp down more slowly so one could fully engage with more phases along the way, but perhaps I was just distracted.

While I don’t think it’ll be a FB for me, it’s pretty decent for the low end of the niche price range, so I can see how it would have its devotées.

Last edited:

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Mancera Gold Intensitive Aoud - This is obviously related to Montale Black Aoud, and any number of rose-oud combos from Montale/Mancera. I'd held off sampling too many of these thinking they would be superfluous and... well, they are lol. It doesn't have the kind of woody/scratchy patchouli of Black Aoud, and the lemon/saffron take it in a smoother and brighter direction. But it's still 90% rose/oud and 10% whatever differentiates it from the next Montale/Mancera oud creation.

CdG 8 88 - I like CdG a lot, and I enjoy avant-garde fragrances, but this is a bit too much. The opening smells like a drawer full of stale, expired spices. The combo of coriander, turmeric and saffron is incredibly pungent, and makes an odd contrast to the powdery, warm base. After an hour or so the spice drawer finally settles down into said warm base, which is actually quite pleasant. I got an 8 ml mini of this partly because it was $10 and I thought the bottle was cute. I'll give it a few more wears but man it's a weird one even for CdG.

Le Couvent des Minimes Palmarola - As a JCE superfan I've been curious about this house for a while. Even though this was not created by JCE, it still feels like something that could be part of the Hermes Jardins collection. Soft, cool, calming jasmine and woods with a nice, if fleeting citrus top. It reminds me of something like Banana Republic Neroli Woods but much higher quality, and subbing jasmine for neroli. But the same nice balance of unassertive woods and fresh, slightly sparkling florals. Kind of an MFK dryer sheets freshness to it. Unisex but leans feminine, with good staying power for what could be a quiet scent. The white musk in the base gives wings to the rest of the comption. Looking forward to exploring more from this house.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
F8C277E5-B136-4E09-A960-B9EF9CF4463D.jpeg

Le Galion - Snob

During the 1950s, fashion photos showed women with a cold, hard side, vaguely haughty and not to say…snobbish. Typically, the models were shown considering a Manhattan skyline or the top of the Eiffel Tower with blank expressions. The magnitude of the New Look gave them some attitude. This is the time of twin sets, pearls and high heels. The films of the time also reflected this upscale attitude: “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “High Society,” “The Barefoot Contessa” and “How to Marry a Millionaire.”

Reflecting the times, Paul Vacher created “Snob,” with its fruity spicy floral bouquet. Sumptuous and with a big personality, it is a fragrance for all trendy women, perfect for parties and gatherings.

Snob has a floral bouquet of white flower, paired with rose, to give a sensual effect. Spices including Iranian saffron bring a heat that is sublimated by precious woods: Australian sandalwood and Virginian cedar, surrounded by white musk.

I’m often struck by the way people frame history itself and the people, places, and things within it. Le Galion’s copywriter presents Snob as the olfactory companion to the New Look, which I suppose is fair enough, though it’s worth noting that Dior’s New Look arrived in 1947, while Snob debuted in 1952. Also, the copy blithely name-checks four period films about “upscale attitude” without considering what they say about it.

What the writer carefully omits is that Snob is widely regarded as a response to, if not a downscale copy of, Patou’s Joy. Much of what perfumer/proprietor Paul Vacher created for Le Galion reworked hit perfumes from other houses. Le Galion scents could be dismissed as knock-offs were Vacher a lesser artist (see his more original scents for Lanvin, Dior, etc.); instead, they are at the very least thoughtful commentary on the craft of his predecessors and contemporaries.

It’s still hotly debated what Vacher’s point was with regard to Henri Almeras’ landmark “most expensive perfume in the world” for Patou. Snob may not have been cheap, but it certainly cost less than Joy. And if it doesn’t smell identical, it gets darned close, with the difference being in eschewing some of Joy’s arguably fussy complexity (including the civet) without sacrificing the rich florals. Snob’s artful balance of rose and jasmine is virtually everything I’d want in an old-school floral.

If the New Look exchanged the structured severity of women’s fashions of the mid-1930s to early 1940s for a more severely structured concept of femininity—as men returned to civilian life, expecting their dominant social status back—perhaps Snob, in hewing closely to a model from 1930, was likewise promoting a softer, albeit not newer, feminine image.

So, perhaps Snob was criticism of Joy’s exorbitant price, or perhaps tribute to its notion of womanhood. If tribute was the goal, however, it was not rewarded: Patou had its own fragrance named “Snob,” trademarked in the US in 1951, and while Patou never officially launched it, it still sold just enough bottles (fewer than 10 per year, nobody knows to whom) to block American sales of Le Galion’s Snob from 1952 until 1974.

Last edited:

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
Cartier Pasha Parfum EDP. A creamy, soft, and just lovely woody-amber fragrance. Unfortunately, it's got so little sillage that it would be a stretch to even call it a "skin-scent". The longevity isn't anything to write-home about, either, but perhaps that's more a function of its minimal sillage. Both might also be due to my being indoors, with the A/C set at 77°F (±1°F); after dinner I might respray, then go sit outside on my porch (where it'll be in the low-to-mid-80s) -- it might "open-up". I'm disappointed... I expected it to be somewhat more "present".

Jul 1, 2015
went into the store a little worried, had a short list of fragrances to smell I kept hearing about (nothing new, but new to me) and was worried I'd love and want them all. I ended up not getting any of them :)

First up was Terre D'Hermes both EDT and Parfum. reviews aren't lying when they say Woody, it's VERY Woody! I don't know if it was because it was a hot day or maybe I just don't like it, but it was a little much and didn't make me say WOW. I'll try it again in a few months but don't think it's for me.

Next up was Replica Jazz Club. To be honest I don't remember what it smelled like but I remember thinking I don't care for it much. It was different, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it. It was just OK. Horrible description I know, maybe I'll have to try again or similar to above, maybe it's just not my style.

Grabbed a few random others off the shelf to smell but nothing that caught my eye (nose?).
I was very lukewarm on Jazz Club. Only remember very meh reaction

Jul 1, 2015
I really like Jazz Club layered with something else - but it is a bit meh on its own. I feel like it needs something else to balance it out - something sharp/green, or floral (in my opinion).
That’s interesting, what are you layering it with? I ended up donating the sample to the trash - rarely happens to me but would love to hear your thoughts

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I was very lukewarm on Jazz Club. Only remember very meh reaction
I really like Jazz Club layered with something else - but it is a bit meh on its own. I feel like it needs something else to balance it out - something sharp/green, or floral (in my opinion).

I’m not sure the opening of Jazz Club goes well with anything—including itself. The drydown is meh, so sure, you could layer it, but it wouldn’t be worth the trouble to me.

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Member
Jun 4, 2022
That’s interesting, what are you layering it with? I ended up donating the sample to the trash - rarely happens to me but would love to hear your thoughts
I'm definitely not an expert, but the latest thing I tried it with was aqua allegoria herba fresca - I did it for fun but I ended up liking it. I've tried it with Bloom, but the Bloom wasn't strong enough to cut through the boozy warmness. It was ok but definitely not brilliant. My SIL tried Jazz Club with Flower Market and liked it very well. So I may try some Joy next (because that is a floral I love and have) and see how that goes. The best part is that I've got soap and water - so I can wash away the evidence of my failed experiments :D

Latest News