What did you buy today? (2022)

Goldweave

Jan 14, 2018
Yikes! This thread MOVES! I can't keep up. o_O

Since I'm perpetually behind, YESTERDAY I got a few new ones. I got some Chypre-Siam, which I like quite a bit. Not entirely sold on the lime note, but it is fleeting enough to my nose and it may be growing on me, and it has a really lovely drydown. I'm sad at how quickly this one goes through its paces and is then gone, but that could be a lament for most of my perfumes nowadays. I strongly suspect it says more about ME and the sorry state of my skin than what I'm wearing. Anyway, I also got a good deal on a slightly used Chanel perfume wardrobe. It's the one with No 5 (the rest were full, that one was almost empty but I have enough No 5 after all), Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, Allure, and No 19. So far I'm not a fan of the Coco, like Allure and Mademoiselle, and need to work on the No 19 and do some comparing of it to my old vintage EDT at least. I did test the No 5 and wow, compared to my old vintage, it smells like a flanker, and not a terribly good one at that. It's not bad but it's so....thin, and if I smelled it on someone I'd never go, "Oo! You're wearing No 5!". I'll try it again and see what I think, since this is my first heads up comparison of new to old, but right now, I'm thinking the new stuff has lost a lot over the decades. (A real shocker of an opinion for the vintage hounds around here I'm sure).

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Aphelie by Trudon 100ml EDP

375x500.69727.jpg

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I went to my "dealer" and ordered another two 10ml decants of Franck Boclet Tobacco (with this one, a 30ml bottle will be fine... for a good while); also, a 30ml decant of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (same 30ml bottle strategy).

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021
No purchase, just swaps:

Serge Lutens - La Fille de Berlin, because it was on my wishlist since a long time

Lalique - Ombre Noire, despite I first thought 'great but not for me', I got another sample at the Lalique store that I drained, and when offered a swap, I just said 'yes'

Paloma Picasso - Minotaure, a nice one to 'round' a swap, that I would not dislike trying

Oriza Legrand - Vetiver Royal Bourbon, one that I eyed since a long time, can;t wait to try it

MPG - Ambre Dore, requested to round a swap in view of the reviews describing it as an 'Ambre Precieux with added oud and animalics' I was intrigued

Olympic Orchids - 9-samples discovery set. I alwasy wanted to try the 'Dev' series

Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo Profumo in Olio, a rare oil version of Uomo Parfum (that I wanted to own given my love for the original EDT)

Lorenzo Villoresi - Garofano (decant), to round a swap, and because it's one of the few LV fragrances that I still need to try

Mona di orio - Vanille (decant), because I always wanted to try it and Brooks's ongoing 'vanilla quest' threadmade me want to go for it
Ombre popped up on a few discounters before Xmas, almost grabbed it but I procrastinated a Lil too long & it disappeared overnight...Haven't seen it since. There's one bottle on eBay & was still on Lalique's site last time I checked. Hoping for another restock 🤞

Sep 7, 2021
Two blind buys arrived last week:

Providence Perfume Co Sedona Sweet Grass - impulse buy on sale at Tigerlily. This is pretty, but reminds me more of a candle or potpourri, rather than a fragrance. Meh.

Parfum d'Empire Le Cri - gorgeous floral. I usually don't go for rose, but the rose here is clear and aldehydic, almost woody, and is blended perfectly. PdE continues to be one of my favorite houses.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Olympic Orchids - 9-samples discovery set. I alwasy wanted to try the 'Dev' series

Have you tried these yet? What did you think?

Big OO fan here but the dev series was not a fast like as much as others from the line. Takes quite a few wears to really get a good handle on those for me......

naylor

Oct 24, 2011

Big OO fan here but the dev series was not a fast like as much as others from the line. Takes quite a few wears to really get a good handle on those for me......
I'm also curious about this. The Dev series has always piqued my interest from this house above all else, but I still haven't tried them. They get compared to some other fragrances that I quite enjoy.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

I'm also curious about this. The Dev series has always piqued my interest from this house above all else, but I still haven't tried them. They get compared to some other fragrances that I quite enjoy.
Not yet. Will devote 3-4 days this week to focus on these ones, and will report back in the OO thread.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Not yet. Will devote 3-4 days this week to focus on these ones, and will report back in the OO thread.

Well there's 5 in the dev series and quite complex. For a like/not like plenty of time, but to really get a read on all that quick is too much for my nose!!! But interested to hear your thoughts......

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016

They are quite dark and many notes, it may be the insense that makes them a slower appeal for me. Now Bat, Woodcut, those are genius, and Olympic Rainforest, Salamanca, and others are very good. None of the Dev series quite at that level yet but enjoying and still trying them.

Dec 29, 2021
I have never tried Al Haramain (or any of the “higher end” clones) and am curious if it is even close to Aventus, so bought a bottle as it is cheap. I haven’t bought anything from Sephora in years but for under $40 for 10 x 2ml shipped of MM Replica to try seems like a no brainer and my wife wants to try them. AdP Colonia… I ran out of. 👍
  • Al Haramain L’Acenture (100ml)
  • Replica - Lazy Sunday Morning, Jazz Club, Beach Walk, Sailing Day, Autumn Vibes, By the Fireplace, Bubble Bath, Under the Lemon Trees, Springtime in the Park and Coffee Break (2ml)
  • Acqua di Parma Colonia (100ml)

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Chanel La Pausa EDP. I finally gave in to this because it's just so lovely and I'll get a lot of wear out of it.
It should come with some samples... I was hesitating between La Pausa and 31 Rue Cambon, so that one might well be next on the list, whenever "next" is.
Rue Cambon is an interesting one, it took me awhile to like it. But one day it just clicked and "like" turned to "love". Before you know it, I'm in possession of a 200ml of the stuff.

It is like a chimera, made of of elements of all the others that reveal themselves as it dries down. It has the patchouli/amber of Coromandel, a touch of labdamnum from Le Lion, iris of La Pausa, the ambrette from No. 18 and zingy top notes of Eau de Cologne. If you had only one I feel like Rue Cambon would be a great choice, but previously my thinking was that it's redundant because I do have all those others. But I came to really love the journey it takes you through and found it worth having as its own creation.

It also has that black pepper which isn't found anywhere else in the line. The power of suggestion is strong. I never expected pepper from an Chanel fragrance so I totally missed it, I just thought the top was quite aromatic. Until one day I read the notes and now I can't miss the pepper in the first couple hours of wear.

Latest News