What are your top 5 leather fragrances?

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I love Cuir d'Ange, but the hawthorn doesn't wear too well on me. Cuir de Russie is a masterpiece that doesn't last at all on me. That new Ombre Leather Parfum is quite nice, but I'd rather smell it on a woman. I personally find Chanel's EDT version of 31 Rue Cambon to be as worthy of being called a leather as anything else that's not strictly IBQ styled leathers, so I'd rate that #1 for it's both its abstract quality, and it's beauty.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Halston Z-14
Cuiron
Fahrenheit
Bel Ami
Knize Ten
Hon. Mention: Pierre Cardin Cuir Fougere

I changed my position swapping Devin for Bel Ami. Not that I can say I prefer Bel Ami over Devin but the leather is more obvious in Bel Ami IMHO. I think Halston Z-14, Bel Ami, Sienna and Dunhill for Men (1934) are on the same plane leather & spice plane making it hard to not plug all of them on there.

Last edited:

Trauerkraut

Nov 14, 2009
01. Derby (1985) by Guerlain
02. Habit Rouge (1965) by Guerlain
03. Knize Ten (1924) by Knize
04. Parfum d'Habit (1988) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
05. Cuir Pleine Fleur (2008) by Heeley

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Never tried it .... is it really that good?

AdO Cuir Sacre is a suede/cypress/vetiver/incense fragrance. It shares some similarities with Initio Divine Attraction (but better blended than Initio) and DS&D Bowmakers (without the sweet base of DS&D). Also, more remotely with Gucci Guilty Absolute, Vilhelm Smoke Show and Bel-Ami Vetiver. I love that olfactory profile, but it might feel somewhat redundant if one already owns any of the ones I listed.

In a nutshell: a very dry, soft and elegant suede and vetiver fragrance. It's not unique, but it's my favourite of the bunch.

VanAllan

Nov 6, 2008
In no particular order:
Dior Homme Parfum
DK Men
Memo African Leather
AdP Colonia Leather
LM Hard Leather
Honorable mentions: Bvlgari Black, PdM Godolphin, Carner B. Cuirs, Davidoff Leather Blend

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Dior Leather Oud
Eau d'Hermes (deep vintage)
Guerlain Derby (vintage)
Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne
Hermessence Cuir d'Ange

Also loved Hiram Green Hyde lately. Let's see how that one stands the test of time.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
I was also curious about ES Fraicheur Cuir but never got to try it. It's quite poorly reviewed, so don't think have missed much. K10 is interesting but not a favourite of mine. I find that the gasoline accord dies down too quickly and the base leaves me feeling unfulfilled.

Yeah I was underwhelmed by Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir. Its not a bad frag by any means, but not something Ii would have hunted down if I could reverse time. Since my bottle of Eau Sauvage is depleted I use that or more often Eau Sauvage Extreme instead.

Knize Ten I like quite a bit but totally get what you're saying with the base being disappointing, though I find it a lot more wearable than some other leathers. IMHO Royal English Leather and Knize Ten are kissing cousins but give Knize Ten the edge. I wouldn't have hunted REL if I knew it was fairly close to Knize Ten.

Gucci Guilty Absolute and Parfums d'Empire Cuir Ottoman I find have no development on me but appreciate the raw leatheriness of them . If dolks wanted something that was a pure leather I'd recommend those. If I wasn't so lazy I'd find the right way to layer those especially Gucci Guilty Absolute, finding it the least complex between the two. I just don't find them all that wearable.

Two I like that are bring to mind the "saddle soapy" type of leather are Equipage and Worth pour Homme. I think it is the carnation (or clove) that bring to mind the saddle soapiness in those to me.

Lovescully

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 2, 2010
From my wardrobe:
1. Dior Cuir Cannage
2. Armani Prive Cuir Noir
3. Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste
4. Keiko Mecheri Cuir Cordoba
5. Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque

Honorable mentions: Armani Prive Cuir Zerzura, Knize Ten Toilet water, Mugler Pure Leather, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
• Cuir de Russie parfum by Chanel
• Cuir X by La Parfumerie Moderne
• Black Knight by Francesca Bianchi
• Black No.1 by House of Matriarch
• Cuoio by Odori

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Santa Maria Novella Peau d’Espagne
Nishane Unutamam (although leather is not listed in the official notes)
Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
Knize Ten
Krizia Moods Uomo

I could have mentioned Fahrenheit, but I don't think of it as particularly leathery.

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
1) Creed Royal English Leather
2) House of Matriarch - Blackbird
3) Bruckner - Aoud 2
4) Dior - Cuir Cannage
5) Juicy Couture - Dirty English

L'Aventurier

May 8, 2008
Hard to find:

Gomma - Etro (vintage EdC) - Old books and powdered leather, rubber
Or Black - Pascal Morabito (vintage) - mossy fougere shaving cream leather
Tabac Blond - Caron (vintage) - badass powdered leather - Cuir Cannage is a good replacement
Cuiron - Helmut Lang (vintage) - plum flesh and vintage brown couch leather

Readily available:

Bel Ami Vetiver - Hermes - candied brown leather and spice
Equipage Geranium - Hermes - old school soap, books and weathered horse saddle. Mature.
Cuir d'Ange - Hermes - brand new perfumed leather gloves
Comme des Garcons 2MAN - animalic leather and snuffed candle

Latest News