What are your favorite dry downs - and why?

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Wonderfully enjoyable topic, thanking you all for contributing so far!

From a personal viewpoint alone, irrespective of gender, price category, discontinuation status etc. mainly but not exclusively:
the vast majority of Knize-especially if Ten and/or Forest, most of the Bogarts including but not limited to Furyo, Signature and Force Majeure, a fair share of Creeds like REL and BDP, Hugh Prsons ones like Yellow, Amouage Bracken

to name only a few, with no further particular order.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Wonderfully enjoyable topic, thanking you all for contributing so far!

From a personal viewpoint alone, irrespective of gender, price category, discontinuation status etc. mainly but not exclusively:
the vast majority of Knize-especially if Ten and/or Forest, most of the Bogarts including but not limited to Furyo, Signature and Force Majeure, a fair share of Creeds like REL and BDP, Hugh Prsons ones like Yellow, Amouage Bracken

to name only a few, with no further particular order.
Still so very much want to blind buy Knize Ten. You have great taste that I completely trust. :)

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Indeed, the mossy Caron base of the past was quite something. Too bad Caron went down the drain (for the feminines). Too bad also that many old base materials (oakmoss, sandalwood, nitromusks) are no longer available.

In current perfumery, I think some leathers continue to have a good drydown, eg my recent favorite Synthetic jungle, which has a green dry leathery drydown (and similarly I've come to enjoy Rose Cuir).

cacio

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
Vintage Carons really did have exceptional dry downs. I remember specifically those of Tabac Blond and Poivre (haven't tried Nuit de Noel). Tabac Blond was, of course, pure bliss from its leathery top notes to its deep, earthy-mossy base. Poivre was memorable in that I found the top notes shockingly aggressive for a few hours, yet when it dried down, it morphed into such an incredibly smooth musky amber.

So for me, vintage Tabac Blond, as well as vintage Opium, vintage Mitsouko and Onda extrait, for my favourite dry downs.

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Shalimar and Angel. Non-linear, so you get at the end is much different from the beginning.

In Shalimar there’s that sharp opening of bergamot and smoky petrol, while the base is all plush vanilla and resins, Guerlinade style.

Angel is front loaded with herby patchouli then softens into a praline-dark chocolate-caramel dream.

And the drydown for both of these beautiful perfumes goes on forever.

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Indeed, the mossy Caron base of the past was quite something. Too bad Caron went down the drain (for the feminines). Too bad also that many old base materials (oakmoss, sandalwood, nitromusks) are no longer available.

In current perfumery, I think some leathers continue to have a good drydown, eg my recent favorite Synthetic jungle, which has a green dry leathery drydown (and similarly I've come to enjoy Rose Cuir).

cacio
Sounds really nice.

Feb 15, 2022
Hope today finds you well.

What are your favorite dry downs and why?

I like vintage Caron dry down, especially Nuit de Noel. Amber, vanilla, oakmoss, musk, powder. There is just something classy, introspective and comforting about it.
Currently, my favorite dry down is Cartier's Baiser Vole parfum. It's a beautiful lily fragrance with a hint of tonka in the base. This isn't a lily-of-the-valley type of lily; it's a creamy, white lily with a hint of green in it as well. I own the edt version, which is more green and less creamy, but the parfum version is perfect for colder months, the tonka giving it warmth and interest. I'm in love with it!

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Currently, my favorite dry down is Cartier's Baiser Vole parfum. It's a beautiful lily fragrance with a hint of tonka in the base. This isn't a lily-of-the-valley type of lily; it's a creamy, white lily with a hint of green in it as well. I own the edt version, which is more green and less creamy, but the parfum version is perfect for colder months, the tonka giving it warmth and interest. I'm in love with it!
That sounds lovely - thank you. I will need to check that out.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...