What are your blind buy regrets?

Jun 19, 2022
Thought this would be a fun discussion, admittingly most of my blind buy regrets where during the time I was buying fragrances in earnest and others where when it was started to become more of a passion project.

The ones I regret buying:
Hugo Boss Deep Red
Hugo Boss Orange
Hugo Boss Femme
Roberto Cavalli Just Cavalli
Roberto Cavalli Acqua
Lancome O de Lancome
Calvin Klein Eternity Aqua
Chanel No 5
Jeanne Arthes Boum Sweet Lollipop
Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy

Which fragrances do you regret blind buying?

Last edited:

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
More than I want to list, but with maybe one or to exceptions, they were not deep "I hate this scent what was I thinking" kind of regrets.

Just regrets such as - this is ok...I like it...but I'm rarely reaching for it to wear it.

Actually gave more thought and MDCI Cuir Cavalier and Mancera Cedrat Boise really teed me off. Ugh.

Last edited:

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
CK Contradiction
Harsh and synthetic.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
Overrated and too sweet, imo.

VC&A Tsar
Too heavy and too sweet.

@JBHoren You saved me a blind buy on New West. It was only $20, and I vaguely remember enjoying the top notes a few years back. But yeah, I'm worried it's actually going to be a very dry, brittle scent, more like CK's Escape.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
@JBHoren You saved me a blind buy on New West. It was only $20, and I vaguely remember enjoying the top notes a few years back. But yeah, I'm worried it's actually going to be a very dry, brittle scent, more like CK's Escape.
I'm not familiar with CK Escape. I also paid around $20 on eBay for my 100ml bottle of New West, so the damage was sensory, not financial. I occasionally wear it, but I'm always disappointed. I know... Albert Einstein and "insanity". I guess the problem is "how to let-go of the memories from the original?" (not that I care to). Perhaps try a sample or decant?

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I'm not familiar with CK Escape. I also paid around $20 on eBay for my 100ml bottle of New West, so the damage was sensory, not financial. I occasionally wear it, but I'm always disappointed. I know... Albert Einstein and "insanity". I guess the problem is "how to let-go of the memories from the original?" (not that I care to). Perhaps try a sample or decant?
Escape to me smelled like dry Eucalyptus. It wasn't at all refreshing to me.

From what I remember of new New West was that it had a nice opening, but that it dried down to something resembling an 80s woman's fragrance. But this was around 2015 so my sense of smell wasn't too sophisticated at the time. It was enough to have me write it off at the time.

Fragrantica says that Escape, and Guy La Roche's Horizon are the most similar fragrances to New West. Again, I didn't like Escape, and it didn't smell ANYTHING aquatic or fresh.

Horizon on the other hand, while very odd, was actually an interesting scent. I think it's been discontinued but bottles are apparently easily available and cheap. It probably still has the original ingredients, so unless you get a spoiled bottle, you're likely to at least get real oakmoss. Maybe Horizon can scratch that vintage New West itch.

LL Cool Spray

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 24, 2008
One Man Show.
After reading so many reviews of people calling it a power scent, the version I have is not that at all.
I actually don't mind it as a casual knock around kinda thing, but it just doesn't live up to the hype.

Jul 9, 2021
Recently, it’s been a 100 ml bottle of Arrogance pour Homme. I had bought a smaller (deep) vintage bottle of the same seller, and, as it turned out, wrongly assumed that this also would be deep vintage. I therefore did not bother about asking for more pictures of the bottle, which would’ve revealed that the bottle I thought was a bargain, in fact was from 2002 and thus not only subject to IFRA-restrictions, but also reformulated. Consequently, while still being very wearable (probably even more compared with the heavy OG), it cannot hide the fact that it is a watered down version of the original and also stripped of several key notes, most notably florals (rose), civet and leather (castoreum) compared with the original.

The moral is, one cannot be enough careful when investing in vintage fragrances; trust noone, not even yourself!

DoctorM81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
Not that I regret blind buying them as such, but I do regret certain choices I made. For example I blind bought Creed Windsor, but passed up similar opportunities on Vintage Tabarome and Aubepine Acacia. I'm glad to own Windsor, but I'd happily go back and swap my buying choice for either of the other two now that I'm familiar with them...

Last edited:

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Not many, some have become redundant because I've found a better alternative in the same category. I'm lukewarm towards Gucci Guilty Absolute but I'm glad to have it in my collection. I've never grown to love it. I appreciate the blend but it somehow smells too close to how bandaids feel to touch – skin toned and smooth, I don't get any dark vibes from it. Oh, I remember – Azzaro Visit was unbearable to my nose. I'm glad it was so cheap. Ettui Noir by Miller Harris is another one, it's not a scrubber but I never feel the urge to wear it. I guess I'm not a fan of fougeres, since my Beu de Jour and Sartorial get very little love – great fragrances but I don't see myself wearing them often.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
Off the top of my head, I can only remember
Missions Le Couvent Maison de Parfum

It was cheap, and I still regret it haha. It has such high praises, that I think mine must have been fake or exposed to the sun (bought it on amazon).

EDIT: Perry Ellis M too, too sweet for me.
EDIT2: Lempicka Homme too. Fortunately all regrets were cheap ones.

Jasha Bunchek

Mar 8, 2022
One Man Show.
After reading so many reviews of people calling it a power scent, the version I have is not that at all.
I actually don't mind it as a casual knock around kinda thing, but it just doesn't live up to the hype.
I wanted to try an oud fragrance. Some YouTube channel suggested Jacques Bogart One Man Show Oud. Horrendous! All I got was dirty hippie patchouli. I had to throw it away.

Jul 25, 2022
I luckily don’t have any regrets for blind buys yet, bear in mind I’ve only made one blind buy so far which was Lalique Encre Noire, but I rather enjoy that, not my favourite by far but is a nice scent that I can use day to day as it’s not as expensive as some of my others lol.

I doubt I’ll make too many blind buys as i always feel it’s best to test them out and try them on skin for a few hours to see how they go on you.

Don’t know if you’d class ordering samples and blind buys but I’ve just ordered a few to try out and see if I’d be interested in the proper bottles; BR540 Extrait, LV Ombré Nomade, Clive Christian X Masc, and two Acqua di Parma fragrances, Colonia Oud and Colonia Leather. I’ll see how I like them before making a full decision, got them all on a good deal from Scent Sampler, for anyone in the UK, as they have a half price promo on atm for orders over £50, I got all the above for just over £30. 👍🏼

tessera

Mar 14, 2007
Thought this would be a fun discussion, admittingly most of my blind buy regrets where during the time I was buying fragrances in earnest and others where when it was started to become more of a passion project.

Hugo Boss Deep Red
Hugo Boss Orange
Hugo Boss Femme
Roberto Cavalli Acqua
Lancome O de Lancome
Chanel No 5

Most of my blind buys are lower priced things where i can justify throwing out $20 or $30 ( so it doesnt happen often!). But Hugo Boss Pure Purple was a thin, barely there fail, as well as three different Playboy colognes that sounded so good but are boring and samey, a sample set of women's English Laundry scents ( i find i prefer their mens scents), and a very expensive sample of Delina Exclusif, which smells like synthetic oud and rubbing alcohol on me.

Perfume_Addict

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 19, 2002

Roberto Cavalli Acqua

I saved myself from regret by getting samples of Just Cavalli and Viva La Juicy, but I still want to try Robert Cavalli Acqua because it has been compared to Chant d'Extase (which I like).

Harley_84

Jun 22, 2022
One of the worst blind buys would have to be Gian Franco Ferre Fougere Italiano,
It could be called a shower gel fougere, it has a similar washed out note that is found in Tom Ford Solei Blanche, but quality is deminished, comes across as a cloying odour. 😑

tessera

Mar 14, 2007
Almost all of my blind buys have been cheapies. Of those, the one I regret most was Nautica Voyage. It's one of those that everyone tells you to try when you first get into fragrance, so I did. Can't stand it. Smells like melon water and tire rubber.
I like the smell of tire rubber but the melon i could skip. Ypur review made me laugh!!

argogos

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 4, 2008

Hugo Boss Deep Red
Hugo Boss Orange
Hugo Boss Femme
Roberto Cavalli Acqua
Lancome O de Lancome
Chanel No 5

I blind bought Rochas Moustache recently. I’m disappointed in the fragrance itself. However, it’s just too similar to Belheim Bouquet, the new Raquets, Eau Savage, etc… I just thougt maybe it would be more of a fougere from the description I read. It’s a lovely, peppery lemon… I just already have plenty. 🫤

argogos

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 4, 2008
I blind bought Rochas Moustache recently. I’m not disappointed in the fragrance itself. However, it’s just too similar to Belheim Bouquet, the new Raquets, Eau Savage, etc… I just thougt maybe it would be more of a fougere from the description I read. It’s a lovely, peppery lemon… I just already have plenty. 🫤

Roan

May 8, 2015
M7, which I had hoped would smell like oud, was overwhelmingly harsh, synthetic and almost instantly gave me a headache. Being impossible to wash off was not a virtue,
Cartier’s Declaration was hailed as having a ‘sweaty’ note, which I thought might be interesting. This proved to be merely cumin oil, which, while an important component of a good curry, stood out like a sore thumb in the cologne and to me made it sickening.
Now I always get a sample or tester before purchase.

voula

Jul 12, 2016
'Secret Oud' by Caron. I love oud fragrances, but this didn't do it for me. It's still in the box in a cool, dark, dry place, until I'm able to muster up the energy to try to sell or trade it.

eric.hope

Apr 8, 2022

Hugo Boss Deep Red
Hugo Boss Orange
Hugo Boss Femme
Roberto Cavalli Acqua
Lancome O de Lancome
Chanel No 5

I blind-bought Encre Noir Sport a few months ago, and ended up regretting it. I was really sold on it’s description, and thought I’d love it, as I had just gotten Tom Ford Grey Vetiver a bit before that, and loved it, but something in the Encre Noir Sport - the signature “Dark Ink” essence -really turned me off. And I got a BIG OL’ bottle of it, too! Figured I’d shelve it & revisit it later in the year. Maybe by then, it will have grown on me. If not, I’ll see if I can trade it for something else.

Alex F.

Nov 29, 2019
Most of my buys (and probably all of my vintage perfumes) were blind buys. So far, the ones I wish I hadn't bought were:
- Bleu de Chanel which was recommended to me by a friend as the best men's fragrance,
- Quorum Silver, because it was cheap and I'm a big fan of my Quorum from c. 2019,
- Uomo? by Moschino of which I'd read favourable reviews and which was on sale at the time I bought it,
- Knize Ten which is recommended as a legendary leather,
- Uomo by Krizia, 2000s vintage and
- Devin by Aramis, 80s/90s vintage.

The first three are far too synthetic for me. I've tried mini-dosages, but the scents annoy me, and everytime I've tried them, I've had to change the shirt I sprayed them on after a few minutes. Knize Ten is a loud, synthetic nightmare-floral. And the two vintages are part of a larger group of leathery men's fragrances that I just don't get along with. They smell very similar to me, dominated by a cheap and generic soapy-aldehydic smell that may have been put there to cut through the smell of cigarettes. My 2000s Quorum is part of that group, and I'm still struggling with it.

Last edited:

classics4me

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Most of my buys (and probably all of my vintage perfumes) were blind buys. So far, ones I wish I hadn't bought were:
- Bleu de Chanel which was recommended to me by a friend as the best men's fragrance,
- Quorum Silver, because it was cheap and I'm a big fan of my Quorum from c. 2019,
- Uomo? by Moschino of which I'd read favourable reviews and which was on sale at the time I bought it,
- Knize Ten which is recommended as a legendary leather,
- Uomo by Krizia, 2000s vintage and
- Devin by Aramis, 80s/90s vintage.

The first three are far too synthetic for me. I've tried mini-dosages, but the scents annoy me and everytime I've tried them, I've had to change the shirt I sprayed them on after a few minutes. Knize Ten is a loud, synthetic nightmare-floral. And the two vintages are part of a larger group of leathery men's fragrances that I just don't get along with. They smell very similar to me, dominated by a cheap and generic soapy-aldehydic smell that may have been put there to cut through the smell of cigarettes. My 2000s Quorum is part of that group, and still struggling with it.
You just made me think twice about blind buying Knize Ten, which has been on the radar for several years. :unsure:

Latest News