Welcome new-at-DIY-fragrance members! Read this first

Srishti

Jun 13, 2017
Hi Dmitriy,

I read all the topics mentioned in the beginning, I have also made my notes, however, I asked about the water because I was going through the ingredients of famous perfumes like victoria secrets, jimmy choo's illicit etc. and I see all of them have mentioned aqua as an ingredient too. I am just confused as in what is correct? Coz companies are adding water as an ingredient.
About the plastic containers, yes I am sorry. I got the answer. :)

David Ruskin

May 28, 2009
If you hd read all of the introductory information you would know the answer to your question. YOU DO NOT ADD WATER TO YOUR FRAGRANCE CONCENTRATE. There will be some later in the final product, but very little. It is never necessary to add water to your fragrance concentrate,

Dmitriy

Dec 10, 2014
Hi Dmitriy,

I read all the topics mentioned in the beginning, I have also made my notes, however, I asked about the water because I was going through the ingredients of famous perfumes like victoria secrets, jimmy choo's illicit etc. and I see all of them have mentioned aqua as an ingredient too. I am just confused as in what is correct? Coz companies are adding water as an ingredient.
About the plastic containers, yes I am sorry. I got the answer. :)

Speaking about the fact that you see water in the list of ingredients of some perfumes, you probably mean the official list of notes (the pyramid). The official "pyramid" only indicates the character of the ingredients that were used and has very little in common with the real components. For example, when it says "water" it means that certain components have been used that give a sense of wateriness. Real clear water has no smell.

rrrrzai

Aug 4, 2017
Hi there, I am new to this site and would like to start making my own perfume. I have researched perfume making kits but I am not sure which is the best so many options! Natural vs synthetic etc I am willing to spend around $200 on a kit. I would like to familiarize my self with different notes and blending. I am hoping to pursue this as a career and become certified.
Any suggestions on beginner educational perfume making kits would be very much appreaciated!
I keep seeing perfume apprentice or mefrangrance kits online, any good?

Fragosphere

Oct 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

I don't regret my registration on this great site, it's difficult to find better on the internet.
It's really fun to read as many passionate members, beginners or professionals.

For the occasion, i will start by sharing my document that may help some members to learn about the formulation. I use it to formulate on a ratio of 1000 without doing any calculations. You will notice yellow backgrounds in some cells, these are adjustable parameters used for automatic calculations. A little translation effort will be required for the document (xlsx) because i'm french :grin:

Password for open the file: basenotes.net
Download the file here : View attachment Formulation - Assistant Création.zip

Thank you all.

Last edited:

pixiemc1

Feb 12, 2018
Hi rrrrzai, I noticed your post is a few months old and wondering if you ever got an answer to your question? I'm wondering the same re beginner kits... :)

Jan 28, 2018
Hello everyone! I'm new to BN and to this thread since Jan '18. I've got to say that the information on this forum is VAST and overwhelming to say the least, especially for a novice like myself. I've been reading for hours and just beginning to realize how deep this rabbit hole goes...and it's deeeeep! I'm just heading out on this amazing journey and have started to acquire equipment, AC's and EO's etc. Thank you to all who have made fantastically detailed posts over the years, really appreciate your time and efforts in contributing your knowledge, expertise and experience for people like me to learn from. Many Thanks!!!

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Hello everyone! I'm new to BN and to this thread since Jan '18. I've got to say that the information on this forum is VAST and overwhelming to say the least, especially for a novice like myself. I've been reading for hours and just beginning to realize how deep this rabbit hole goes...and it's deeeeep! I'm just heading out on this amazing journey and have started to acquire equipment, AC's and EO's etc. Thank you to all who have made fantastically detailed posts over the years, really appreciate your time and efforts in contributing your knowledge, expertise and experience for people like me to learn from. Many Thanks!!!

Old post, I know. But do let us know how it's getting along[emoji6]
Best,
Martin

Sent from my foil-hat using Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2019
Hello and thank you for this site!
What a great resource.
Is there a post that explains all the abbreviations in use here...I'm getting lost with all the IPM, DPG's etc. :smiley:

Cotsip

Oct 21, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I wanna start making fragrances as a hobby. Unfortunately I can't click on the links above like "100 first supplies (I renamed it) and "DIY Perfume Suppliers ".

Do you know why and how I can find these informations ? Sorry if i use your time.

I want to start with a good kit for about 300 euros (live in germany so any good suppliers you know should help)

Thank you all :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N975F mit Tapatalk

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Not all retailers are the same. Here in the US there is exactly one that has been 100.00% in my experience and I am absolutely confident in the due diligence always being performed that the material is the claimed one, one that is very close, and one that I could point to an example right now that the material is not as claimed and from experience while their rate is close to 100%, I believe one should be very awake when buying from.

SDS sheets can be a big aid in detecting problems.

Commonly a retailer will provide a link for the SDS sheet of a product. You may find more precise description of the material than the retailer gave, or otherwise learn something new.

The most transparent and IMO best situation is when the SDS sheet is directly that of the manufacturer. For example, it has the Givaudan logo on it, the IFF logo, etc. This is not necessarily 100%, as the retailer or distributor may have changed material without updating their sheet. If the distributor, the retailer might not be aware of the change. While not perfect for the above reason, this is still better than the below.

The next situation is where someone, whether distributor or retailer, chose to provide an SDS on their own letterhead. Try seeing if you can find the distrubutor and see what their sheet says. For example, John D Walsh is a very major distributor in the US. If they have a product of the same name and the SDS seems basically copied from them, then now you have at least a good idea of the manufacturer if it's given. Do check that nothing important has been changed in the copy-and-pasting. For example, if the JDW SDS reads "ABSOLUTE SUBSTITUTE NATURAL" but the retailer's SDS reads "ABSOLUTE NATURAL" then in that sort of situation rather obviously you would not be getting what you thought.

Likewise, if the retailer lists a product as "Ambroxan," a Kao product, and that's all you see, but when you click on SDS you get Ambermor, well, most likely you would not be getting the brand you expected from the retailer, but this substitute,.

Still further, manufacturer name may be omitted entirely in any SDS you can find. When that is the case, my personal opinion is, do not assume you are getting the branded product.

I do want to be clear there can be legit reasons for the original source not being named, when it comes to naturals. Someone may have only after years discovered a particular small source and they want to keep that knowledge a trade secret that other retailers don't get access to. Fair enough. However on the other hand when sourced from a really major distributor we all know about, or from a manufacturer everyone knows about, that reason would hold little water.

Personal opinion only, in the hope of perhaps saving from getting different than expected or needed. Caveat emptor. SDS's are worth checking and evaluating.

I would like to note that if asked, I will not reply with any vendors in mind though I could. The above is general advice which I believe holds true without need of examples.

EDIT: At Perfumer Supply House, I have 100% confidence that when you see a manufacturer's SDS, you are getting exactly that product. At Perfumer's Apprentice, I have no reason to believe you are not, though commonly you won't get to see the manufacturer's SDS and then it is less certain what you will get. However at Creating Perfume, I now have no confidence that a given manufacturer or distributor's SDS being shown really means you will be getting that product, because I saw a questionable case, I asked specifically, and they evaded answering.

it also should be noted that posts speaking very highly of Creating Perfume prior to August 2020 were actually speaking of a different company (different ownership, different location) than the current one.

ADDED MAY 2021: Perfumer's Apprentice has stated plainly that their SDS's do not necessarily match up to the product you will receive with regards to manufacturer, distributor, etc. In a case example, they claimed that what they have been selling the last 5 years with an SDS showing John D Walsh as their vendor, and Walsh was supplying Ambermor not Ambroxan, they claimed they were selling Ambroxan all along and it wasn't actually from Walsh, it was just the wrong sheet. So, at PA, the sheet does not really mean anything with regard to source or exact identity. Same as at the new CP.

Last edited:

tatka1907

Jun 20, 2020
hi guys, i am newer. i am interesting in perfume making. but other said to me i need perfume school, in my country is not school of perfume, and material. can you share to me information about perfume making, i want to teach myself because online school is very high. if i order materal, school, it woudl be very expensive. plz hep me. thank u.

Logocracy

Jan 11, 2021
With the new Basenotes site and app, I think it might be time to update the links in this Welcome post. A lot of them are broken or lead to sites that no longer exist.

Latest News