Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Went for just spices, no pumpkin with a sample of Chai by Baruti. Notes: Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Cardamom, Pepper, Black Tea, Steamed Milk, Cocoa, Roses, Vanilla, Musk, Leather.
I didn't have anything that related directly to pumpkin spices so I went with spicy scent - YSL La Nuit de L'Homme for the cardamon note.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I seem to remember allspice is named that way because it resembles many other spices, hence all spice. For the spice theme last weekend I wore Bois des Iles: rather an upscale interpretation of the theme I would say! I'm not the biggest fan of spicy scents, but this Chanel is gorgeous.

For this weekend I will have to bend the rules a little. I have a black tie event, which doesn't go well with dead leaves and incense in my mind. I want to wear something va va voom to go with my sleek dress! I'm thinking of vintage Nuit de Noel, or of a layering combo of some sultry lily scents (I'm still not moving past that phase apparently). Maybe I can sneak in some incense the day after, as penance for the hedonism.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I’m continuing my earthy, incense from Friday’s graveyard sync.
For today I’m repeating Reminiscence Patchouli (1970) for the impression of decomposing leaf litter. Yesterday’s wear was like potting soil mixed with walnut baklava and a few evergreen twigs. Definitely the sandalwood making that dirt a yummy thing. I think a similar sandalwood note is in vintage Miss Dior, and combined with the other notes makes me think of nutty fruitcake.

Haven’t decided if I’ll switch my fragrance up for incense later or hold off for next weekend when we are back in the graveyard.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
As my SOTE I'm wearing one of my favorite incense frags, Archives 69, and this is the best time of year for it. Pepper leaf is mentioned in the notes, so there is a slight reference to leaves as well, albeit not fallen ones.

In looking at the reviews it appears this one has become quite polarizing. I love it, but find it only works in cooler weather. I once spritzed some on in July and immediately regretted it.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
As my SOTE I'm wearing one of my favorite incense frags, Archives 69, and this is the best time of year for it. Pepper leaf is mentioned in the notes, so there is a slight reference to leaves as well, albeit not fallen ones.

In looking at the reviews it appears this one has become quite polarizing. I love it, but find it only works in cooler weather. I once spritzed some on in July and immediately regretted it.
Yeah, I also noticed the review section is quite varied in love and hate for this!😀

I personally envy you that you perceive incense in it. To me it's a pure camphor bomb.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
The most obvious choice for an incense was right under my nose - Guerlain Shalimar. While powdery and somewhat vanilla like, I do pickup on the incense in the scent.
375x500.53.jpg

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
N.Cal, I also wore Shalimar last evening!

This morning I half-synched in quite an interesting layering combo of Incense: Avignon and Pink Sugar... and after I showered at noon I changed into Guerlain Lui which is an introverted, calm and autumnal scent that has something in it that reminds me of falling leaves.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Avignon & Pink Sugar, now that's a combo I would not have put together, what was it like? I was drawing a blank for incense in my wardrobe, until I remembered I have a decant of No. 22, soo it's aldehydes & incense for me today!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Avignon & Pink Sugar, now that's a combo I would not have put together, what was it like? I was drawing a blank for incense in my wardrobe, until I remembered I have a decant of No. 22, soo it's aldehydes & incense for me today!
It's like a new different perfume that has a smoky/incensy drydown and sugary gourmand heart!
Pink Sugar, being a candyfloss/ethyl maltol bomb, also has some darker facets to it - some liquorice in top notes and it has some smoky facet to it, too. So one day I thought I could actually try amping it up, so I combined the two and quite enjoyed the outcome. One is mega sweet and another is very austere so they balance each other out in a way. And since both are very synth-heavy they do not clash to my nose, rather meld into each other. But you must like to combine the opposites to enjoy this, I guess!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I have just not been motivated to jump into the autumnal scents. I hope the urge hits me soon! But we don't really get autumn here until well into November.

Wingie said:
As my SOTE I'm wearing one of my favorite incense frags, Archives 69, and this is the best time of year for it. Pepper leaf is mentioned in the notes, so there is a slight reference to leaves as well, albeit not fallen ones

ClockworkAlice said:
I personally envy you that you perceive incense in it. To me it's a pure camphor bomb.

Archives 69 is some kind of litmus test for noses. I don't smell anything like camphor or pepper in it. To me it smells like a just-opened jar of olives and mildewed citrus fruit peels -- and weirdly, I like it.

But you must like to combine the opposites to enjoy this, I guess!
You are brave, Alice. I would never have the courage to combine those two.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I don't smell anything like camphor or pepper in it. To me it smells like a just-opened jar of olives and mildewed citrus fruit peels -- and weirdly, I like it.
To me Archives 69 is mostly plum and incense, but I also pick up camphor, pepper and what might be orchid. When I wore it in July though all I got was camphor and benzoin, and I finally understood others’ references to Vicks vapour rub, band-aids, and other medicinal ingredients. It was gross and honestly a completely different fragrance. Suffice to say I won’t be wearing it in the summer again.

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I know it should theoretically be Halloween related, but I probably might be a bit too literal at this, because the first thing that comes into my mind when I read "Things that go bump in the night" is APPLES. :D

Now I'm wearing a citrus scent (I guess these go bump too, but maybe not in autumn? I don't know, it's too cold in where I live for citruses) but will probably reach for something apple scented later - maybe ELDO's I'm A Trash or something.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Time to pull out some random samples.

Really stretching on the bump in the night theme, but I thought of heavy fog which might cause some bumping into things. Went to pull out a sample of Henry Rose Fog - from the house Michelle Pfeiffer launched but couldn’t find it.

So going to next sample idea for another kind of bumping.
Noir Aphrodisiaque by Kilian
Got it when I was doing some chocolate exploration and it is definitely that.
This may or may not be Cook.bot‘s chocolate orange.
Here we have a creamy chocolate citrus rather than a bitter dark, and it is stabbed through with multiple pencils. Fun on occasion.

I read that some think this smells like Black Phantom, which adds in a rum note, would seem right for the bumping into things as well.

Think I will look at what I have for boozy scent samples for later in the weekend.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Maybe just foreign and therefore interpreting words and sayings differently. 🤔
My grandpa was a farmer and when I would hear a "bump" sound in the night, it usually was an apple falling off the branch.
For me now, TTGBITN means walnuts, squirrels and skunks, mostly, but also bats and large bugs.

But when I was a teen trying to sneak back into the house, it was ME, so I'm wearing Carolina Herrera Bad Boy (EdT).

Latest News