Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Ah, I have 2 weekends to report, as last week I was too busy to check in here. But I did sync with no.5 EdT which was all I wore throughout my high school years. It felt like a second skin then, and although it still feels like slipping into a familiar and beloved garment, I now also smell more of the history and the formality many associate with this scent.

This weekend I will wear the scent my sister described as smelling of 'autumn leaves incense', Mitsouko. She adopted it and wears it with great flair, whereas it rarely leaves my fragrance drawer. I love it, but like most Guerlain's, it doesn't seem to suit me. I passed my bottle on, but kept a small sample for this weekend.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm with Alice in thinking autumn scents should be calm and introspective. Time for a break from all those invigorating citrus eaux I've been in all summer.

And I'm with Yellowtone in finding Mitsouko beautiful but not suited to me, like most Guerlains. I do own a bottle of it, but mostly because it seems to be a legal requirement if you want to call yourself a perfume fancier.

My perfect autumn scent, ever since the first moment I smelled it, is the EDT of Chanel Sycomore. A walk through a cypress forest on a crisp grey day, with occasional wafts of woodsmoke drifting across your path. Tragically, they removed the smoke element when they converted it to an EDP, an error which I'll never be able to forgive. I'm going to wear it several days in a row just to make up for all that time it's had to spend in seclusion.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm with Alice in thinking autumn scents should be calm and introspective. Time for a break from all those invigorating citrus eaux I've been in all summer.

And I'm with Yellowtone in finding Mitsouko beautiful but not suited to me, like most Guerlains. I do own a bottle of it, but mostly because it seems to be a legal requirement if you want to call yourself a perfume fancier.

For such fragrance-opposites we do share a lot of common thoughts about fragrances!
I also agree on Mitsouko. I fancy it a lot, but I don't think it particularly suits me as it's a chypre and so on. It does have a certain aura about it though, and I cannot find it not amusing. It also smells autumnal to me, it has that calm, introspective feeling to it that draws even me to it.

I found a tester of Mitsouko EDT for cheap and ordered it (I usually don't buy testers, but I did not want to pay a full price for something I would wear rarely), and am going to join you both tomorrow evening with it. Can I join the serious perfumista's club already? :D

It's so sad that Sycomore is not the same perfume that you love so much anymore. At least you still have a big bottle of EDT to enjoy it during autumns!

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Sycomore EdT also is an excellent fall scent. I agree that the EdP is not the same; it's lovely, but more of a generic sweet woody scent, rather than the bone dry, smokey goodness that is the EdT.

Due to unforeseen circumstances the remodelling of the house has been delayed with a few weeks/months, so today I will spend unpacking part of my carefully packaged belongings. The fragrance box is up first!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Can I join the serious perfumista's club already? :D

Oh, you were definitely there already. You're just in a different wing of it than I am. :)

Due to unforeseen circumstances the remodelling of the house has been delayed with a few weeks/months, so today I will spend unpacking part of my carefully packaged belongings. The fragrance box is up first!

Sheesh. I have never known a single person for whom a remodel went smoothly without big bumps. At least they caught it before you changed residences.

I’m not sure if it evokes falling leaves exactly but I’m sticking with Coromandel for my autumn scent.

Definitely an autumn scent!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Oh, you were definitely there already. You're just in a different wing of it than I am. :)

Aww, you're too sweet! I'm still a newbie in my own mind.

Like I planned, I am synching with you ladies with Mitsouko this evening. The melancholia, the calm introspective thoughtfulness, the complexity, the beauty and ugliness in just one scent. There is something pungent to my nose in Mitsouko, and that correlates with fallen and slowly rotting leaves on the ground very well.

I wore Alaia Nude during the day which to me has that cozy, uncomplicated vibe - probably the opposite to Mitsouko, but still fitting for a sunny autumn day to me. Though I think this one is an all seasons fragrance - maybe except the hottest summer days.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I picked apples and ate a bunch and thought about some sparkling apple fragrance samples I’d like to try.

Many times I've thought that a crisp apple accord would be just the ticket to replace the citrus notes in many fragrances. But I've yet to smell an apple scent that fulfilled the brief in my head, and most of them are ruined by oversweetening.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Many times I've thought that a crisp apple accord would be just the ticket to replace the citrus notes in many fragrances. But I've yet to smell an apple scent that fulfilled the brief in my head, and most of them are ruined by oversweetening.

Agreed! If you find something promising please tell. I’m still eating those tart apples I picked last weekend.

For the Chilly Nights weekend sync I’m planning ahead (for a change) and going with Hermès Eau de Gentiane Blanche.
For me this fragrance has an almost bracing crunchy green vegetable note along with a damp mineral element that gives me a chilly twilight sensation.
I’ll probably want a couple spiced fragrances to wear in the evening to warm me up so I’ll be looking for baking spices, dry vanilla, woods, smoke, booze.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
ohhh, I have the perfect scent for this one, but where on earth did I put it? I'm thinking of Areej le Doree's Russian Oud, which smells like drinking hot chocolate with chilly while sitting slightly too close to a red glowing fireplace...

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
I'm not in the mood for Vol de Nuit, which would be pretty on-the-nose for today. In keeping with the "night" theme, I'm going with The Different Company Une Nuit Magnetique for some ginger and tuberose to warm me up this evening.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Our nights aren't yet what I'd really call chilly -- they're still around 60F/16C -- but there's a definite difference from the worst of summer, and a palpable lack of humidity. So even though I'm wearing a summer scent for daytime today, tonight I plan to sync in something that can at least remind me that flannel pajama weather is within sight:

Tea For Two (L'Artisan Parfumeur) -- the warm spices keep it cozy, but the smoky lapsang souchong tea makes it kind of intimate and sexy to me.

(I'm still very curious about why our sync thread host disappeared, and wondering if that anticipated baby appeared.)

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Our nights aren't yet what I'd really call chilly -- they're still around 60F/16C -- but there's a definite difference from the worst of summer, and a palpable lack of humidity. So even though I'm wearing a summer scent for daytime today, tonight I plan to sync in something that can at least remind me that flannel pajama weather is within sight:

Tea For Two (L'Artisan Parfumeur) -- the warm spices keep it cozy, but the smoky lapsang souchong tea makes it kind of intimate and sexy to me.

(I'm still very curious about why our sync thread host disappeared, and wondering if that anticipated baby appeared.)

Tea For Two is one of the scents that turned me into a BNer. I burned through my sample, and then went on to my sample of Safran Troublant, which really wowed me.

I went with Bel Ami tonight. It's truly my first fall scent - something to warm me up.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I've been interested in Tea for Two since I signed up here, but the store that stocks L'Artisan in my area never seems to have it to try it out and I haven't seen it in online discounters either. Is it discontinued and long gone?

Like I said, I'm going with cozy and autumnal scents.
On Saturday I wore a sweet, powdery and incensy John Galliano. I admire the scent. The bottle is a little bit gaudy gothic dress, and the scent really fits it.
Today I wore one of the coziest vanillas imaginable (well, to my nose) - Orchidee Vanille by Van Cleef and Arpels. It's a chocolate-y vanilla that's sweet yet not overly sweet, but just super mega cozy. It stayed with me during the lazy morning and noon, and then a loooong walk in the woods. Back and showered, I am synching with La Petite Robe Noire Black Perfecto EDP by Guerlain - quite an understated and introverted gourmand to my nose, the cherry, almond, dusty rose and Guerlinade are tamed and darkened a bit by leathery notes.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Like I said, I'm going with cozy and autumnal scents.
On Saturday I wore a sweet, powdery and incensy John Galliano. I admire the scent. The bottle is a little bit gaudy gothic dress, and the scent really fits it.
Today I wore one of the coziest vanillas imaginable (well, to my nose) - Orchidee Vanille by Van Cleef and Arpels. It's a chocolate-y vanilla that's sweet yet not overly sweet, but just super mega cozy. It stayed with me during the lazy morning and noon, and then a loooong walk in the woods. Back and showered, I am synching with La Petite Robe Noire Black Perfecto EDP by Guerlain - quite an understated and introverted gourmand to my nose, the cherry, almond, dusty rose and Guerlinade are tamed and darkened a bit by leathery notes.
I like Orchidee Vanille although to my nose it becomes a bit flat at the end - it becomes a little powdery and floral, looses some of the oriental/gourmand feel.

Have you tried Indult Tihota or Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille?

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I like Orchidee Vanille although to my nose it becomes a bit flat at the end - it becomes a little powdery and floral, looses some of the oriental/gourmand feel.

Have you tried Indult Tihota or Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille?

I haven't tried Tihota, unfortunately. I have sniffed SDV and it is gorgeous boozy vanilla. I haven't tried it on my skin though - I postponed it and postponed it partly on purpose - as I felt I do not want to fall in love with it as it's way above the budget that is comfortable to me. Now after Guerlain changed the bottles and raised the price even more it became even more unobtainable to me.

I really love Orchidee Vanille (drydown, too) and Diptyque's Eau Duelle (only have a sample yet, but it will become a bottle eventually) and I think these will be my best vanillas :)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I haven't tried Tihota, unfortunately. I have sniffed SDV and it is gorgeous boozy vanilla. I haven't tried it on my skin though - I postponed it and postponed it partly on purpose - as I felt I do not want to fall in love with it as it's way above the budget that is comfortable to me. Now after Guerlain changed the bottles and raised the price even more it became even more unobtainable to me.

I really love Orchidee Vanille (drydown, too) and Diptyque's Eau Duelle (only have a sample yet, but it will become a bottle eventually) and I think these will be my best vanillas :)
Tihota is significantly cheaper than SDV at $220. It's a must sniff for any vanilla lovers. I consider it the holy grail.

Eau Duelle is a good choice. It's more on the lighter side for a vanilla but still really nice.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Tihota is significantly cheaper than SDV at $220. It's a must sniff for any vanilla lovers. I consider it the holy grail.

Eau Duelle is a good choice. It's more on the lighter side for a vanilla but still really nice.

I won't miss out trying Tihota when I have a chance! It's still over my budget but sniffing a holy grail vanilla is probably a must anyway :)
I get a lot of cardamom in Eau Duelle and really enjoy it.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I won't miss out trying Tihota when I have a chance! It's still over my budget but sniffing a holy grail vanilla is probably a must anyway :)
I get a lot of cardamom in Eau Duelle and really enjoy it.

If you like cardamon with vanilla another one to look at would be Carner Barcelona D600. Personally I wasn't too thrilled by it but you might think differently.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This weekend's theme: October 2 & 3: Pumpkin Spice Everything!

I have a sample of Etat Libre d'Orange's Like This which is a no brainer here. The sad part is that I don't really like it that much, but I think this will provide a good opportunity to retry and maybe reevaluate it.

I don't think I have anything else with pumpkin in it... But I have an affinity for sweet spices. What spices are usually used in pumpkin spice stuff? Vanilla and cinnamon?

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
What spices are usually used in pumpkin spice stuff? Vanilla and cinnamon?
Pumpkin pie spice often has ginger, nutmeg, clove, and allspice as well.
I don’t have anything that smells like straight pumpkin spice, but Vintage Coty L’Origan is very much like chai or spice cake.
Your recent exchanges with N.Cal are getting me thinking about a vanilla. If it were coupled with a smooth and creamy sandalwood then that would be fitting.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Pumpkin pie spice often has ginger, nutmeg, clove, and allspice as well.
I don’t have anything that smells like straight pumpkin spice, but Vintage Coty L’Origan is very much like chai or spice cake.
Your recent exchanges with N.Cal are getting me thinking about a vanilla. If it were coupled with a smooth and creamy sandalwood then that would be fitting.
Thank you, Earlyn!

That gives me something to think about. Many of my beloved orientals or florientals have some of these spices, but probably none has all of them. Organza and Habanita come to mind for nutmeg, Bapteme du feu for gingery-spicy-gingerbready-dried fruity feel, Coco and Opium for clove and an assortment of other spices... Hmmm.
Sandalwood and vanilla... this should be easy, but it would be easier with Wardrobes and Directory open!

I also just found out (as in, googled) that allspice is not some name for some specific spice blend but actually a berry. Who names a berry like that?! :D
(Oh, I have just googled some more and found out I know very well what an allspice is, and I have some in my cupboard, too. We call them fragrant peppers...)
Okay, I have shown enough that I'm a savage from Europe already, I can show myself out :D

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
(Oh, I have just googled some more and found out I know very well what an allspice is, and I have some in my cupboard, too. We call them fragrant peppers...)
How interesting, Alice! I love allspice, and am dimly remembering that it's actually a member of the pepper family (as in peppercorns, not chile peppers). I need to go read up on that.
Went for just spices, no pumpkin with a sample of Chai by Baruti. Notes: Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Cardamom, Pepper, Black Tea, Steamed Milk, Cocoa, Roses, Vanilla, Musk, Leather.
Holy moley, if that smells half as good as it sounds, CuddleCat, I need to give that a sniff. I've had an occasional cup of chai that made me think "this should be a perfume" (but I've had many bad ones too).

The first thing that leapt to mind for this first October spice sync was the obvious ELDO Like This, but like some of you I'm not overly fond of it either. I decided on vintage Halston Z-14, which has pronounced cinnamon and less pronounced clove to spice up its leather. It's fairly manly, but I really love it and its Elsa Peretti bottle, one of my very favorite designs in all of perfumery.

HalstonZ14andI12.advert.jpg

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Just showered and am wearing Like This as my SOTE. Even though it's still a tad too warm for it here, I'd feel remiss not to wear it at least once this weekend, given it's such a pitch perfect choice for a pumpkin and spice scent.

I enjoy this one quite a bit, but because of the pumpkin it only works during Autumn. I don't know if I've come across another scent that is more 'seasonal'. Something else I've noticed about Like This is that the composition is quite lively and energetic, yet the sillage is completely negligible. You could sit a couple feet away from someone and be wearing Like This, and you would be able to smell its sweet pumpkin pie latte floral/spicy/gourmand accord, but the other person wouldn't be able to smell anything. The upbeat composition combined with little to no sillage seems like a bit of a marriage of opposites to me.

Latest News