Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Surprisingly, I found several references to crushed ants in reviews, and in these two pieces:

Thread: What causes the "crushed ants" smell?
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/375352-What-Causes-the-quot-Crushed-Ant-quot-Smell

Back when I climbed, I would occasionally top out on a formation with a lot of ant nests, and I would occasionally sit on or otherwise smash some ants. The note I always perceived was formic acid, which I remembered from the lab. It's the aspect of crushed ants that smells sharp and a bit like vinegar. But the fact is, crushed ants smelled *better* than formic acid, and I never knew why. Citronellal explains that nicely.

Article: I Like a Big Stink
https://www.basenotes.net/features/117-i-like-a-big-stink
refers to "finger-crushed ants" as smelling like "sweetened almonds".

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I just love the ant posts! And after reading the last few of course I had to go follow the ant trails.
Not a surprise it turns out there may be a genetic component to how one perceives that ant smell, and there’s variation in odor depending on species.
Someone might experience ant chemistry as being sharp and vinegary, or like lemon verbena, or citronella, or may get blue cheese notes as in the case of odorous house ants.
_________

Don’t know what I’ll sync with for a picnic. First thought was vintage Estée Lauder White Linen but I’m looking around for others. A fragrance I do not have currently that reminds me of the ever present celery and carrot sticks we had at every picnic would be Caron Yatagan. If only I had something with paprika and sulfurous notes I could conjure up the olfactory ghost of deviled eggs past.

Other thoughts -
Rochas Femme EDC - plums and sweat
Bombay Sapphire Infusion - drunk picnic

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
If only I had something with paprika and sulfurous notes I could conjure up the olfactory ghost of deviled eggs past.

Much as I adore deviled eggs, I don't think I'd want to smell like them.

Rochas Femme EDC - plums and sweat

Mmm, sexy picnic.

I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the ants, so I decided to go with Bois Farine, J-C Ellena's ode to yeasted almond pastries and a little (wink-wink) bready iris. Throw in an ice-cold gewurtztraminer and you'd have my idea of a good picnic.
img_4.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Love the ant threads! Thanks for finding those, Cook.bot!

To me, B&BW Gingham is the ultimate picnic fragrance. And I also find Tiffany & Love For Her to be similar in a more "Tiffany" way - sort of an overdressed picnic. But I'm wearing the men's version now, because it really matches the feel! The light spices are perfect, too.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I slipped into a deep reverie imagining my Perfect Vacation, and finally decided on the Amalfi Coast of Italy. I've never been there, and I'm not a beach person, but it just looks like the perfect place to idle away days of doing nothing but lounge and eat and swim and just... be. Plus I love all the Italian perfumes from that region, and it's famous for its citrus-scented air.

My plan was to wear Azzurro di Capri by Bruno Acampora to illustrate that fantasy holiday, but I couldn't find my bottle of it! So my stand-in will be Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès, an ideal bright summery citrus with a soft, mossy base. My Amalfi villa will of course have a swimming pool, and after a dip in it I can splash myself with the refreshing eau and wait for Sofia the housekeeper to bring out some melon and cheeses for lunch.

149fa58cf67ff2653a9a99baafdd0199.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
ah, this is the Labor Day one; suntan lotion, beer and bbq, right? I was planning to break out my husband's bottle of Hyde for this one (bbq galore), but the weather is unexpectedly lovely and too warm for such a heavy hitter. Now what do I have that smells of beer?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Now what do I have that smells of beer?

Probably anything yeasty or bready would do.

I grew up in California, and Labor Day always meant pool parties and end-of-summer cookouts, so I'm going to try to find something that emulates that crisp chlorinated sensation of pool water. I used to love that wide-open sensation in your nose after a day of swimming.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
We are having ideal weather today - High of 78F, low of. 62F, with puffy clouds floating by.
Perfect weather to sit in a beach chair at the edge of the lake with toes dug into the sand.
But today I’ve enjoyed a wooded arboretum walk where flowers are still blooming for all they’re worth and the leaves are just starting to flame.
I feel conflicted. I have a weird area in my back yard where a palm tree occupies the same airspace as a maple beginning its fall show. I love the fall but it jumbles me up with the juxtaposition of light, heat, and colors.

187F25C9-FD04-455D-903D-C5FC1C8B4D28.jpg

So now after walking I’m thinking about the last camping trip we can squeeze in on the last long weekend before school time - plants/woods, campfires, hot chocolate and s’mores, and all the wild blackberries you can pick and eat. I ended up getting a bottle of CK One Shock for Him Street Edition superduper cheap after reading about it during a “hate the bottle or packaging” Friday sync and thinking my son would like it, which he does. I’ve put some on and have to say this is going to be great to wear when I go berry picking this afternoon.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Your garden looks EPIC Earlyn! As a Dutch city dweller with an outside space the size of a matchbox, I am very much in awe. I like the '2 climate zones clashing' vibe of the fall colours with the palm tree. Picking berries also sounds like a very picturesque way to spend your Labor Day weekend.

I, on the other hand, will be packing up my entire house this weekend. We are going to renovate the house drastically and have decided that rather than living in a construction site for the next 3-4 months, we will be moving to a temporary place and let the builders do their thing. Dear lord the stuff one collects in 7 years! I will be wearing Iris Nazarena, as it's the closest thing to a yeasty iris I can find, and its cerebral quality seems appropriate for sorting out and packing up everything I own.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I, on the other hand, will be packing up my entire house this weekend. We are going to renovate the house drastically and have decided that rather than living in a construction site for the next 3-4 months, we will be moving to a temporary place and let the builders do their thing.

Whew, that's huge, Yellowtone. Especially since "3-4 months" is contractor-speak for "9-12 months".

I couldn't find anything swimming-pool-ish in my scents, but I did find my Azzurro di Capri so I'm back to something beachy. If anyone knows of a pool-like scent, I'd love to hear about it. It seems like the kind of thing Imaginary Authors might compose.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
CK Escape is a little bit pool-like to my nose.
I have a decant but I didn't want to wear it today and wore Mandarine Basilic today - it's my go to holiday/free day/ beach time/vacation scent. Nothing watery, just tangerines with a little bit of aromatics from basil and tea.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I've been wearing the Usher scents, first UR (the second masculine) and now Usher For Men (the first, and IMO the best).

I think the first masculine was technically named or aliased "Usher HE", and the feminine "Usher SHE", with the letters of HE and SHE artistically joined on the bottle, but websites rarely use those names.

These are quintessential Macy's celebrity scents, but not bad, IMO.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Whew, that's huge, Yellowtone. Especially since "3-4 months" is contractor-speak for "9-12 months".

I couldn't find anything swimming-pool-ish in my scents, but I did find my Azzurro di Capri so I'm back to something beachy. If anyone knows of a pool-like scent, I'd love to hear about it. It seems like the kind of thing Imaginary Authors might compose.

Haha, I included an adjustment for 'contractor time' in my planning; the contractor says it's going to be 8-10 weeks, I rented an apartment for 4 months, let's see if that's enough!

I remember from the Turin/Sanchez sample pass that some people think Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise has a swimming pool vibe. I can't personally attest to that; my sample had turned and was absolutely vile.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
NCal's idea is great, for me I think it also could be something from late 90s/00s when I went to school :)
CK, Moschino and Lolita Lempicka, I'm looking at you!

I'm so old that the smells I associate with back-to-school are pencils and paper. Pink rubber erasers. And library paste -- the kind that attracted at least one weird kid in class to want to eat it.

Also the smell of new plastics: pencil cases, vinyl binders, etc.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm so old that the smells I associate with back-to-school are pencils and paper. Pink rubber erasers. And library paste -- the kind that attracted at least one weird kid in class to want to eat it.

Ooooh, that, yes!
And also the smell of ink. It was mandatory to use ink pens instead of ballpointpens in lower grades because ballpointpens "spoil the handwriting" (and I think I agree somewhat). We ended with ink on our hands so often.
And the smell of chalk. They don't use chalk boards anymore or they became much rarer I think.
Oh, and the stink after the physical education class, haha.

(I think Comme de Garcons 2 has an inky undertone, I have a sample of that and will probably wear it)

Edit:
I googled what library paste is and the first thing that came up was this sentence from an article:
"Eating library paste was a popular arts and crafts pastime when I was young. Maybe this explains why I love books so much."

Maybe I have accidentally found that kid from your class?

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

Hey, me too! Fanciest thing we had were graphing calculators in high school. It was all chalk boards and ring binders for me too. Part of why I like "pencil shavings" wood notes.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
34730F14-DFCE-4544-812C-1AF26631E93F.jpeg

The most notable school smell for me has to be the mimeograph paper handouts that we would get in class. Hot off, or should I say cool off the presses, the literally intoxicating smell of the still evaporating purple ink was a must sniff and I remember us burying our faces in the pages as we handed back a stack. Basically huffing. Can’t think of a fragrance to pair with that, just thought I would mention it, and date myself to ancient times.

I remember the buses that smelled of dirty greased axles and exhaust so my sample of vintage Dior Fahrenheit is just right for a sync start. Although I never got to ride the bus (we lived within walking range), I always envied the kids that rode to school.

Also going to pull out Wazamba by Parfum d’Empire for the apple (for the teacher) and the Italian plums that are dropping from the trees in heaps now, and for the filmy incense haze from the fireplaces starting to crank back up.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
The most notable school smell for me has to be the mimeograph paper handouts that we would get in class. Hot off, or should I say cool off the presses, the literally intoxicating smell of the still evaporating purple ink was a must sniff and I remember us burying our faces in the pages as we handed back a stack. Basically huffing.

Yes, yes, yes! God, I'd love to smell that again.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Yes, yes, yes! God, I'd love to smell that again.

It's one of the banned freons - the fluorine analog of chloroform - which is why the mixture has a sweet note, dries quickly, and feels cool to the touch.

In 1938,[SUP][6][/SUP] a nonflammable solvent was invented by Johan Bjorksten to allow the possibility of using electrically driven machines without the concern of the flammability of pure methyl/ethyl alcohol. "A composition composed of 10% of trichlorofluoromethane and 90% of a mixture of 50% methyl alcohol, 40% ethyl alcohol, 5% water and 5% of ethylene glycol mono-ethyl ether.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator

We would need a fragrance called "Kids Demand Ozone Injustice" to fully appreciate the glory of millions of baby dittoheads sniffing freon! :wink:

Would make a great project using "allowed" components, however.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
It's one of the banned freons - the fluorine analog of chloroform - which is why the mixture has a sweet note, dries quickly, and feels cool to the touch.

Lucky that Xerox stepped into the breach before the freon bans destroyed the mimeo.

Would make a great project using "allowed" components, however.

That would be fun, for an O'driu or a Slumberhouse.

I think I'll just stick with the pencils theme today, and wear my favorite for vintage cedar shavings: Ivoire de Balmain. It smells exactly like those times I'd stand at the hand-crank sharpener until I had ground my Ticonderogas down to a nubbin.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019

Ah, the good old days - that is scary! Thanks for the science RP.

I think I'll just stick with the pencils theme today, and wear my favorite for vintage cedar shavings: Ivoire de Balmain. It smells exactly like those times I'd stand at the hand-crank sharpener until I had ground my Ticonderogas down to a nubbin.

I like those old sharpeners. I have one mounted on the wall in my studio that I’ve been relocating and using since I was in elementary school. I am enjoying Wazamba now but it has cranked out enough fumes so I think I will join you in Ivoire de Balmain next instead of doing Fahrenheit.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I like those old sharpeners. I have one mounted on the wall in my studio that I’ve been relocating and using since I was in elementary school.'

Impressive. I don't own a single thing from when I was in elementary school. Nor high school, now that I think about it.

I think I will join you in Ivoire de Balmain next instead of doing Fahrenheit.

Yay! Like No. 19, Ivoire is so cold to the touch that it's one of the few chypres I can really embrace in warm weather.

Latest News