Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Found a leftover vial of 4160 Tuesdays Sunshine and Pancakes so that will do.
375x500.22852.jpg

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Virgin Island water is a good one! Very pool side appropriate, in my opinion. I will have to get creative as I am away for a weekend of sailing and I don't have much that fits this theme. I think I'll go 'pond' rather than 'pool', and will bring Hermes Le Jardin de Monsieur Li. It's a weird, watery, mineralic jasmine that reminds me of skin after a dip in fresh water, cool wet stones and lazing around in a sun dappled garden on a temperate summer's day.

Oh, good idea! I was thinking of Mugler's Womanity, but I was at my mom's all weekend, where perfume is literally banned, so I didn't get to sync last weekend. I was wondering what people would come up with for poolside. I love what I'm seeing so far!

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I'm wearing Terracotta Le Parfum, the new one. I think it has been around for a while already though.
Voile d'Ete is long discontinued. I read it's different. But it also has its own page as it's a different scent. Have you tried both? Which one do you prefer?

I did try both, and I prefer Voile d'Ete. It's totally a different scent. I was able to try both from two different decanters on eBay.

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
I don't have any "soleil" scents in my collection so I'm not sure what to do for this weekend's sync. Apres l'Ondee or L'ombre dans l'eau, maybe, for variations on the "light" theme.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
For an American perfume for this weekend, the first name that came to mind was Estee Lauder, who I still think of as the Grande Dame, even though as a brand she was eclipsed years ago by giants like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren. (Now, of course, Lauder Inc. is so huge they own everything from Malle to Le Labo to Tom Ford, so no need to cry for them.)

But I think rather than a Lauder, I'll wear the first Halston scent, Halston for women. It was a real milestone perfume for me, and that was such a prolific time for American perfumes, from 1975 to the early '80s -- Obsession, Lauren, Halston, White Linen. Was that the first time that American perfumes made a real impact on the international stage? Or did it just feel that way to us?

6a010535dc5a78970b015435164162970c-600wi

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
For an American perfume for this weekend, the first name that came to mind was Estee Lauder, who I still think of as the Grande Dame, even though as a brand she was eclipsed years ago by giants like Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren. (Now, of course, Lauder Inc. is so huge they own everything from Malle to Le Labo to Tom Ford, so no need to cry for them.)

But I think rather than a Lauder, I'll wear the first Halston scent, Halston for women. It was a real milestone perfume for me, and that was such a prolific time for American perfumes, from 1975 to the early '80s -- Obsession, Lauren, Halston, White Linen. Was that the first time that American perfumes made a real impact on the international stage? Or did it just feel that way to us?

Good thoughts - this is helping me expand my options. Caswell-Massey and Liz Claiborne are coming to mind now.

Alityke

Nov 27, 2011

My first though was Estée Lauder too & I have many to choose from. My alternative would be to go down the celebuscent route, again I have many.
My sinuses are giving me gip so whilst JLo Glow is in my “must finish box” & that would have been my choice. Thing is the musks might just give me sneezing fits. Glossier You sensitised me to whatever musk(s) it contains

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016

I loved reading this! I think I was indeed thinking of something like Ralph Lauren, after all, they use so much red, white and blue in their adverts. I'll have to think about what I would wear as an American perfume for July 4th. Unfortunately, no perfume for me for a little while! I'm at my mother's, which is a scent-free home, so I'm going to enjoy reading about everyone else's choices for awhile.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Some time ago I purchased a lot of vintage fragrances and the sender threw this in-

Top Notes:
Lavender, Bergamot, Rain, Florida Grapefruit, Kentucky Bluegrass, Midwest Spearmint
Heart Notes:
Driftwood, Cranberry, Apple Pies, Yellow Rose.
Base notes:
Blue Spruce, Cactus Flower, Vermot Red Maple, Wyoming Cottonwood, Amber.

These all American notes are probably a quick give away. This decades-ago crowd pleaser didn’t really grab me at the time when I first opened the Red, White, and Blue packaging and gave it a little spritz. So it has just remained in my cupboard waiting for an all American sync. Not sure if I will like this better this go round but it is what I will wear for Saturday.

Alityke

Nov 27, 2011
I finally went for a modern American

Kierin NYC Sunday Brunch

Lemon sharp followed by pencil shavings. All the better for being unsweetened

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Is this a guessing game or are you going to tell us what it is???

(I don't have a clue.)

Some time ago I purchased a lot of vintage fragrances and the sender threw this in-

Top Notes:
Lavender, Bergamot, Rain, Florida Grapefruit, Kentucky Bluegrass, Midwest Spearmint
Heart Notes:
Driftwood, Cranberry, Apple Pies, Yellow Rose.
Base notes:
Blue Spruce, Cactus Flower, Vermot Red Maple, Wyoming Cottonwood, Amber.

These all American notes are probably a quick give away. This decades-ago crowd pleaser didn’t really grab me at the time when I first opened the Red, White, and Blue packaging and gave it a little spritz. So it has just remained in my cupboard waiting for an all American sync. Not sure if I will like this better this go round but it is what I will wear for Saturday.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Is this a guessing game or are you going to tell us what it is???

(I don't have a clue.)

DDG any 3 of those notes!

OK, thought the “apple pie” and other weird notes would give it away, but discerning noses might think higher up on the tree. Many people have memories of this in the 90’s. I can see how this might have been popular. Not really my thing, but definitely American.
Here it is:

0D3706CC-29A5-4304-BCC6-356420570CBD.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
OK, thought the “apple pie” and other weird notes would give it away, but discerning noses might think higher up on the tree. Many people have memories of this in the 90’s. I can see how this might have been popular. Not really my thing, but definitely American.
Here it is:

View attachment 157010

Great call, IMO. The Tommy franchise was built on understated but unabashed American branding. I collected a number of the men's scents when I went on a brief infatuation with them at the discount stores.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I never smelled Tommy and I don't think I ever seen it anywhere, I only read here that it was popular. The biggest American brands here have always been CK, Elizabeth Arden and Avon. Oh and Old Spice, too.

I went with Narciso Rodriguez For Her L'Absolu in the evening. I've read mr. Rodriguez is half Cuban, half American and what's more American than mixed nationality/origins?

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I never smelled Tommy and I don't think I ever seen it anywhere, I only read here that it was popular. The biggest American brands here have always been CK, Elizabeth Arden and Avon. Oh and Old Spice, too.

I went with Narciso Rodriguez For Her L'Absolu in the evening. I've read mr. Rodriguez is half Cuban, half American and what's more American than mixed nationality/origins?

Tommy was very "Macy's" back in the day, but stopped being a trend-setter in fragrance when nothing really caught fire after the Tommy well went dry.

Narciso is a "Joisy" boy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narciso_Rodriguez

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019

My dad wore Old Spice and then British Sterling. I remember getting the “flasks” of British Sterling and having his initials engraved on the then metal silver tops at the store every Christmas. The engraving machine was always set up next to the huge displays so they could do it while you watched which was very fun. If I had a a vintage bottle I would wear it!

Oh yeah, Avon! Thanks for the mention. I forget to grab them from my cupboard but there are many I do enjoy.
After Tommy today I moved on to Lauder for Men which I love.
Since you’ve reminded me - when the Lauder fades and the air cools I’ll go for one of my Avons for ladies.

Latest News