Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I am allergic to many things (my cat, mold, ragweed) but not, thankfully, anything in perfume. Tree pollen is probably my most serious allergen. Right now, all of the trees in my neighborhood are budding or in flower, and I enjoy the springtime colors of yellow green leaves with pink, yellow, and white blossoms as I sneeze.

Vintage YSL Y (1964) captures the season of early spring for me. It is a gentle chypre with accents of flowers and honey. I can’t improve on Starblind’s description, so I will just quote it here...

There's something in Y that makes it different from the other classic green chypres I've tried (and perhaps I just haven't tried enough), because while it contains the same sharp, citric signifiers that immediately spell GREEN and CHYPRE, the honeysuckle and peach and civet give Y both a sweetness and depth that genuinely enchant. There is none of the expected stridence or prickliness here, instead there are tiny flickers of fruited honey and oak mossy depths that provide both nectarous AND animalic components that keep me smelling my wrists over and over.

Cook.bot is also quite a fan of Y.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
To end the day I applied some Guerlain Vega. It's not a yellow centric floral but it does have some ylang-ylang florals. It also has floral notes of rose, jasmine, iris, carnation, and orange blossom.
375x500.10883.jpg

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Chanel No. 5 Eau Première is very spring-reminiscent for me, and makes me stuffy from the wee bit of sandalwood in my old bottle, so I'm going with that.

View attachment 194927
I can no longer wear Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere or L'eau due to a sinus condition. If my sinuses are at all irritated from other sources the aldehydes will act as a trigger and makes my sinuses even more clogged. Such a shame as they are lovely perfumes. Do you have a problem with all perfumes that contain sandalwood? I seem to be able to handle a small amount of aldehydes in perfumes - Le Cri by Parfum d'Empire, Fleur de Peau by Diptyque and the peach aldehydes in Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays all seem to be o.k.!

Jan 26, 2016
I can no longer wear Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere or L'eau due to a sinus condition. If my sinuses are at all irritated from other sources the aldehydes will act as a trigger and makes my sinuses even more clogged. Such a shame as they are lovely perfumes. Do you have a problem with all perfumes that contain sandalwood? I seem to be able to handle a small amount of aldehydes in perfumes - Le Cri by Parfum d'Empire, Fleur de Peau by Diptyque and the peach aldehydes in Doe in the Snow by 4160 Tuesdays all seem to be o.k.!
Oof, sorry you guys have some legit allergies there! :confused:
I can't wear most of Ineke's older perfumes, they make me sneeze and I don't enjoy them to boot. I do have Idyllwild and love it, but that's about it. Some perfumes certainly have chemicals/components in them that just don't work for some people.

Certainly didn't want this category to be painful for people!!! :cry: I was just thinking of, you know, flowers and grass and pollen and buzzy bees and things. Ah well, next weekend!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Yes - anything with real sandalwood - Indian or Australian - makes me lightly stuffy. It’s light enough of a reaction that I still enjoy the fragrances, but it’s a very reliable reaction across all genres of fragrances. I get it a lot more in vintage, obviously, but the newer Aussie natural sandalwood scents do it, too! And, of course, old hippie sandalwood oil.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Yes - anything with real sandalwood - Indian or Australian - makes me lightly stuffy. It’s light enough of a reaction that I still enjoy the fragrances, but it’s a very reliable reaction across all genres of fragrances. I get it a lot more in vintage, obviously, but the newer Aussie natural sandalwood scents do it, too! And, of course, old hippie sandalwood oil.
Yay, I'm happy to read that your mild reaction to sandalwood doesn't effect your fragrance wearing. Both varieties do smell a bit different to me but the chemical composition of both oils must be very close to being the same.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
For April Showers, I went with Alaia by Azzedine Alaia. Why, you ask, I get a petrichor aroma from it. Here's my impressions from my first wearing: Wow, it's different - the floral notes alternate between violet and peony and I get a petrichor aroma and wet hot stone accord (love this) with a bit of leather (more suede) on a base of musk.

Just in case, anyone is unfamiliar with the term: Petrichor is the term coined by Australian scientists in 1964 to describe the unique, earthy smell associated with rain. It is caused by the water from the rain, along with certain compounds like ozone, geosmin, and plant oils.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I'm combining @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's wet green approach and @CuddleCat's petrichor angle, and present to you Le Jardin de Monsieur Li, a very strange bird in my fragrance collection. It smells like lounging around in a lush garden in the English countyside, under the trees on a sun dappled clearing, next to a cool pond with wet stones, on Sunday afternoon in early summer. How's that for specific? It has an odd, mineralic, almost metallic tinge that makes my skin smell like I've been sitting in the sun, which I find very addictive. I rarely wear this, but once or twice a year the urge strikes, and when it hits right, it really hits right.

Renee Jacque

Apr 9, 2022
I've been trying to wear green this week. Today I managed with Ormonde Jayne's Woman. The juice is green and it's housed in my green section. Though I think others can smell this one quite a lot, for my nose it's barely there. I'm guessing ISO-E Super is the culprit there, as perfumes with it tend to make me nose-blind. However, I enjoy the very ephemeral wafts of woods and transparent greens that I get from it, and can only hope that I smell good to other people. No compliments today though.

I think yesterday was a perfect green day, I wore vintage Private Collection by Estee Lauder along with Tenebra by Royal Crown. I wasn't going to get this bottle, I've had a decant from MaxAroma, and then... after I missed out on the bottle for $178 on Mercari I caved and bought one for a bit more. It's not my absolute favorite perfume in the whole world, and that price point is utterly ridiculous (IMHO) but I haven't smelled another tuberose quite like it, and every time I spray it, it uplifts me and I'm just like "yeahhhhhhh....."
It's not "YES! YES! YES!" like When Harry Met Sally, but it is a solid "yeahhhhhhhhhh....." which in my book, is a pretty solid reason for purchase, even at $2.4/ml. 🤦‍♀️

Monday wasn't really a green, but the original Jessica McClintock, which has green facets. I had this in college 20 years ago, and as strong as it was then, I believe it's just about as strong now. I bought a rollerball Sunday night at CVS for $8, cause I've been looking at it now and again over the past year, online, but haven't even wanted to spend the $35 and shipping for it. It was always a bit difficult for me, which is why I don't have the bottle anymore. I don't even remember what I did with it, but there's no way I finished that 100ml monster of a beast mega projector nuclear atomizer thing. So I thought "hm, rollerball, that's nice. I can just put a bit on and control it! It should be pretty user-friendly. I won't overwhelm anyone with this small rollerball application."

Ha!

I put on what I thought was a small amount, and apparently I was scentable a solid 15 feet away. At 6 feet off, my fellow employee announced that I smelled delicious, and he liked it so much he asked about it the next day. I was like "oh, I had no idea it was so strong, you could smell me at 6 feet!" He goes "6 feet? Ha! I could smell you 15 feet away! You smelled amazing!" Yeah, he really liked it.

I don't remember the Jessica McClintock that I had having citrus and green notes in it, so maybe they've changed the formulation, in my opinion, for the better, the one that I had was always rather suffocating and made me sneeze and cough, no wonder I gave it away. This one is quite pleasant - 8 bucks and you can either gather a room full of admirers, or clear a room!

I'm thinking Anabasis this weekend. It is green and clear and transparent and almost watery, but in a hard way, like... ice.
You cannot go wrong with Jessica McClintock original. The beautiful lily of the valley base is heavenly. Hope it's never discontinued, it's been a staple in my scent arsenal for decades. Another great staple is Cia', now that's a blast from the past. I was 13yrs old when my mom bought a bottle back in 1980. Mom always, always, always smelled great, but never more so when she put Cia' on for the 1st time. It always reminded me of her, like L'Aire du Temps (sorry for misspelling) does my great grandma.

Jan 26, 2016
I'm thinking either Paloma Picasso today or Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original. The latter to me is utterly wet and lush and green and floral. I love it so so so much. But! It doesn't seem quite the weather for it to me. It's windy and sunny and bright, and I prefer to wear it when it's rainy and gloomy out, don't ask me why.

Jan 26, 2016
Greetings my weekend sync fellows! This is a sort of announcement/discussion post, hence the big, bold green text!

I've very much enjoyed this sync, but am reaching hosting fatigue. I created the sync because I thought it could be fun, I liked creating interesting (to me, at least) categories that reflected my collection, and I wanted to try to have prompts to get through more of my collection than I might have done otherwise. It's been super fun seeing how other people interpret my ideas!

I was asked to extend the sync to the end of the year, but I really don't have the bandwidth. One thing I've learned (which I think I already knew) is that I'm not very disciplined in most things, and sticking to a schedule for my perfume is one of them! It's been fun, but I'm ready to pass the baton if anyone else is interested, come the end of May.

So, if someone is interested in keeping it going, or coming up with new categories, or whatever, feel free to discuss. I will be done come May 31st.
Thanks!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I've just remembered that I have a One Seed sample called Rain. Went to the One Seed website to read the description/blurb and it mentions petrichor as well, so I'm continuing that theme. Here's what the website says:
Earthy aquatic floral

Invigorating, alluring. The scent of anticipation. A cleansing downpour. The smell of the cool air making contact with a parched earth, petrichor. Wet flora and dewy skin. A fragrance both clean and pure, as replenishing as rain.

Fragrance notes

Aquatic rose, mimosa, labdanum, vetiver, ambrette seed, tomato leaf, Australian sandalwood, guaiacwood, violet leaf

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
@SmokeAndSky Thanks for coming up with the idea of the Weekend sync, I've really enjoyed participating and liked the more relaxed feel of this sync. I would like to see it continued in some way if someone is willing to play host. Or, we could have monthly or quarterly theme hosts for this sync if nobody feels like taking on a full year of hosting duties?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
This was my guess as well, based on how I utterly randomly saw that N. Cal Fragrance Reviewer has this in his collection, sometime last year!!
It took me 5 years to acquire a bottle. Within a short period of purchasing the first bottle, with dumb luck I found a second bottle and snatched it without hesitation.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I was primarily synching this morning with Après L'Ondée by Guerlain from a sample, generously provided by a good basenoter. I think this spring-like floral fragrance is the most fitting out of anything I could find - its name fits, and it's actual smell fits - it might be a power of suggestion, but it seems like it truly smells a lot like a garden after the rain, sans petrichor.

My other springlike choices were less about the rain and spring showers and more about gardens and being bright and refreshing or lushly blooming: Gucci Bloom, Gucci Bloom Nettare di Fiori (soft tuberoses and some garden stuff), Atelier Cologne Love Osmanthus (lemon, osmanthus, peach, light woods and happy freshness), Eau de Sisley 3 (citrus, greenery and vetiver), Jo Malone Rose & Magnolia (peppery rose, patchouli, magnolia - a darker scent, yet it wears lightly).
I managed to squeeze in more wears per day, that's why so many different scents.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Greetings my weekend sync fellows! This is a sort of announcement/discussion post, hence the big, bold green text!

I've very much enjoyed this sync, but am reaching hosting fatigue. I created the sync because I thought it could be fun, I liked creating interesting (to me, at least) categories that reflected my collection, and I wanted to try to have prompts to get through more of my collection than I might have done otherwise. It's been super fun seeing how other people interpret my ideas!

I was asked to extend the sync to the end of the year, but I really don't have the bandwidth. One thing I've learned (which I think I already knew) is that I'm not very disciplined in most things, and sticking to a schedule for my perfume is one of them! It's been fun, but I'm ready to pass the baton if anyone else is interested, come the end of May.

So, if someone is interested in keeping it going, or coming up with new categories, or whatever, feel free to discuss. I will be done come May 31st.
Thanks!
First of all - thank you for thinking up and putting up this Weekend Synch that was (and still is) such a joy to participate in - because it's witty and fun, and because it's both satisfying and challenging (the green months and the white floral months were a challenge for me indeed! BUT this synch has actually made me fall in love with white flowers after a month-long exposure to the kind of scents I was previously squirmy about! It's all your fault, dear SmokeAndSky, and I'm thankful for it 💚).

One thing that fascinates me about this thread is how deeply personal it is - I really like how you just made it to fit your own wardrobe and yearly preferences for scents - you added the scent profiles that speak to you instead of trying to fit in everything that's out there, and you placed them where they fit according to you, and these personal touches made it unique.
I can't help but wish that whoever takes over this synch after this one is over will also be just as brave and personal with their choices. (BUT of course it's all up to the person or persons who'll take it from here - there are so many ways to make this fun, either by being extra personal, or more inclusive, or...)
I have seen so many of you involved in this thread, and before starting naming potential names I wish to wait to see you stepping up yourselves, dear creative ladies.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
can you give us a description?

A very airy and watery take on Mitsouko. It does share some similarities to the original although not as complex nor dense. Very subtle traces of the peachy opening although it's bit more floral and green. There is some hints of oakmoss at the base but it feels more floral. It skews away from the chypre base that was present in the original. It's very light and delicate but at the same time aromatic.

Jan 26, 2016
First of all - thank you for thinking up and putting up this Weekend Synch that was (and still is) such a joy to participate in - because it's witty and fun, and because it's both satisfying and challenging (the green months and the white floral months were a challenge for me indeed! BUT this synch has actually made me fall in love with white flowers after a month-long exposure to the kind of scents I was previously squirmy about! It's all your fault, dear SmokeAndSky, and I'm thankful for it 💚).

One thing that fascinates me about this thread is how deeply personal it is - I really like how you just made it to fit your own wardrobe and yearly preferences for scents - you added the scent profiles that speak to you instead of trying to fit in everything that's out there, and you placed them where they fit according to you, and these personal touches made it unique.
I can't help but wish that whoever takes over this synch after this one is over will also be just as brave and personal with their choices. (BUT of course it's all up to the person or persons who'll take it from here - there are so many ways to make this fun, either by being extra personal, or more inclusive, or...)
I have seen so many of you involved in this thread, and before starting naming potential names I wish to wait to see you stepping up yourselves, dear creative ladies.
Thank you so very much!
I feel noticed and seen! :)

I really did enjoy creating a sync that I thought anyone could join in, but which reflected my personal collection, themes, and when I wanted to wear these perfume in the calendar year, according to my North American seasonality and weather system. It's been fun! As I said before, It's been truly fun seeing how people interpret my ideas, and I've added some perfume to my test-list.

I'm so glad you got to change your mind about white florals. I know how that is, as after all, I walked into Tigerlily Perfumery in 2015 declaring in no uncertain terms, that I do not like things that smell like white flowers or sugary sweet things. Guess who has an abundance of the former and a good showing of the latter in her collection now?

For yesterday, I wore L'Artisan's Nuit de Tuberose, which smells exactly like the leaves of wild ginger (Asarum canadense) to me, having grown up in the redwood forests of the Pacific Northwest. So, not the florals I was originally thinking of, but still a spring/summer walk in the woods, secret flowers and foliage underfoot. Funnily, the flowers don't smell of anything that I remember, but this perfume absolutely nails the smell of this foliage, and I have enjoyed the smell of these leaves since I was a child. What a kick it was to find a perfume that smelled of them! And nothing at all like tuberose to me. A misnomer, perhaps, but a deeply delightful perfume to me all the same.

Check out the flowers of the wild ginger, they are very witchy and magical looking! Almost like an exotic forest orchid.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you so very much!
I feel noticed and seen! :)

I really did enjoy creating a sync that I thought anyone could join in, but which reflected my personal collection, themes, and when I wanted to wear these perfume in the calendar year, according to my North American seasonality and weather system. It's been fun! As I said before, It's been truly fun seeing how people interpret my ideas, and I've added some perfume to my test-list.

I'm so glad you got to change your mind about white florals. I know how that is, as after all, I walked into Tigerlily Perfumery in 2015 declaring in no uncertain terms, that I do not like things that smell like white flowers or sugary sweet things. Guess who has an abundance of the former and a good showing of the latter in her collection now?

For yesterday, I wore L'Artisan's Nuit de Tuberose, which smells exactly like the leaves of wild ginger (Asarum canadense) to me, having grown up in the redwood forests of the Pacific Northwest. So, not the florals I was originally thinking of, but still a spring/summer walk in the woods, secret flowers and foliage underfoot. Funnily, the flowers don't smell of anything that I remember, but this perfume absolutely nails the smell of this foliage, and I have enjoyed the smell of these leaves since I was a child. What a kick it was to find a perfume that smelled of them! And nothing at all like tuberose to me. A misnomer, perhaps, but a deeply delightful perfume to me all the same.

Check out the flowers of the wild ginger, they are very witchy and magical looking! Almost like an exotic forest orchid.
Thank you for your thorough and informative reply! It's really fun seeing how everyone interprets different ideas in their own way. (I remember Things that go bump in the night synch and how deliciously wild it was!)

As for wild ginger - I don't think I've ever smelled it or seen it (or just don't remember it)! I googled it and it apparently grows in my country, too (The European species Asarum europaeum only, and we call it "pepperleaf"), and apparently it is poisonous, but its roots in small amounts are used in medicine. But it blooms in April and May, so picking a scent with its aroma is just spot on!

I'll have L'Artisan's Nuit de Tuberose in mind, hopefully I'll be able to find some to smell it for the wild ginger note. Thank you for the recommendation!

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I would like to host or co-host this thread, if you guys will have me!

I have really enjoyed it so far, and I'd love to continue it.

Thank you, @SmokeAndSky for starting this thread and for your wonderfulIy creative perfume prompts, and everyone else for your contributions. This thread really has sparked my creativity and it's made me see my collection in a different light.

I already have some out of the box ideas for themes, but I'm open to suggestions as well.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Thank you, @SmokeAndSky for starting this thread and for your wonderfulIy creative perfume prompts, and everyone else for your contributions. This thread really has sparked my creativity and it's made me see my collection in a different light.

I already have some out of the box ideas for themes, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
Thanks for stepping up, I think you'll be a great host! 🍺

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

That would be fabulous! You have a really well-rounded outlook on perfume styles, and you're an eloquent and entertaining communicator.

Not only do I think you personally will be great, but I like having thread hosts that are outside of North America. It seems to bring a little balance to the outlook around here.

And if you didn't want to shoulder the the entire responsibility yourself, and wanted to share it with a co-host, that seems like it might be a very fun idea too. I don't think I've ever seen it done on BN before.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

If you decide to consider a co-host maybe you could do some kind of alternation back and forth each week. I wouldn't mind seeing another individual who has not hosted a sync before, maybe another newer member or a more senior member.

Just like Synchronized Friday, we'd be all glad to contribute novel ideas for the sync.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
If you decide to consider a co-host maybe you could do some kind of alternation back and forth each week. I wouldn't mind seeing another individual who has not hosted a sync before, maybe another newer member or a more senior member.
Back and forth each week might be fun, but also could prove to be confusing to hosts, picking months or even seasons might be easier - but it's all on yellowtone and how she (and a potential co-host if there is one) decides it.
Just like Synchronized Friday, we'd be all glad to contribute novel ideas for the sync.
I'm actually against this idea (Unless, of course, yellowtone would like it). We already have Synchronized Fridays for collective ideas, let's celebrate the creativity and individuality of the actual host (or hosts) for this one. I'd say let's allow her to make it anything she wants it to be or feels like what would be fun, I'm sure it will turn out just great. :)

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm actually against this idea (Unless, of course, yellowtone would like it). We already have Synchronized Fridays for collective ideas, let's celebrate the creativity and individuality of the actual host (or hosts) for this one. I'd say let's allow her to make it anything she wants it to be or feels like what would be fun, I'm sure it will turn out just great.

^^ This, 100%.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
For: Wanna Go on a Hike?, I will probably consider something that smells like the wilderness - green, pine, mossy, woods. mind - Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee would be a great example.

I'm gonna wear something that I actually wore on a hike! I've got lots of choices, too! :LOL:

Jan 26, 2016
For this Wanna Go On A Hike weekend, I am considering Solstice Scents Mountain Vanilla. If you haven't tried Angela's creations, you really should. They are proper perfumes, and whenever I wear this one, I get compliments. It's very coumarin based, and it smells just like sun warmed dirt next to a path by a winding river in summer. I adore it. It's truly amazing. Try it, you'll love it.

I sorta missed April Showers last weekend, but did sorta make it up by wearing Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs L'Original two days running this week. I just prefer this one in the rain, and it finally did that this week, whereas last weekend was entirely too dry.

Latest News