Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Like Earlyn, Bronze Goddess crossed my mind for this month, but I don't currently have any. I will find myself a sample to wear. In the mean time, I will kick off this month with Guerlain Terracotta which is a perfect pick for the suntan theme. For me, its;s the perfect beachy, salty skin, cocktails-with-lime, white floral that manages to be chic and sunny at the same time. It's a staple in my summer wardrobe and as after months of lingering cold and rain, summer has finally arrived here, the timing couldn't be better!

Oh, thanks for the reminder, yellowtone! I have a decant of Terracotta that I enjoy and originally purchased last year based on your description. So now I have at least 3 for the beach/pool/sun month.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I am joining you girls with Terracotta, too!

It's a lovely beachy scent, totally pretty. Probably the prettiest scent I own - and therefore I need a specific mood to wear it, I usually feel like it's a bit too romantic and too pretty for me :)
When I first smelled it, I thought it's gorgeous but maybe a bit too mature/feminine for me (mature not as in "old" but as in "prim" and "has her shit together", the kind of maturity that doesn't always come with age sadly), but there are days when I crave this beauty.
The white flowers aren't the main thing I get in it. well, of course they are there, but the green neroli/orange blossom/petitgrain/green leaves over Guerlinade and some coconut is what I get the most. It's truly lovely.

BetsyMeszaros

Sep 5, 2010
I've picked an oldie but a goody that has been in the bottom of my perfume drawer for years -- Camp Beverly Hills. Does anybody but me remember this one? (And I almost forgot about it.)

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Bronze Goddess today, with extra sprays to offset the cool and overcast day I was not expecting.

This does such a good job with the suntan vibe. If I close my eyes I can almost feel the slats of the pool lounger and the terry cloth towel against my back as they absorb moisture from my skin, and then leave that funny indented slat pattern and orange peel texture all along my backside when I get up from lounging too long undisturbed.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Apres shower I switched it up to Le Labo's Lys 41 (or whatever number they tacked onto this one), the perfume oil. It is a rich, creamy, heady white floral, especially in the oil format. Today is unfortunately rainy and quite cold after a brief spell of summer, but this scent works because it is so warm and enveloping. Scrumptious! I can pretend it's summer, no?

ClockworkAlice I find Terracotta one of the more relaxed Guerlains, but I do get what you're saying about some scents feeling too put together, especially certain pretty florals. I have that with Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani. It feels like I should be wearing a crisp white shirt, ironed and everything, which is never going to happen.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Apres shower I switched it up to Le Labo's Lys 41 (or whatever number they tacked onto this one), the perfume oil. It is a rich, creamy, heady white floral, especially in the oil format. Today is unfortunately rainy and quite cold after a brief spell of summer, but this scent works because it is so warm and enveloping. Scrumptious! I can pretend it's summer, no?

ClockworkAlice I find Terracotta one of the more relaxed Guerlains, but I do get what you're saying about some scents feeling too put together, especially certain pretty florals. I have that with Ormonde Jayne's Frangipani. It feels like I should be wearing a crisp white shirt, ironed and everything, which is never going to happen.

Yeah, you put it really well!
And I agree, Terracotta is very easy to wear, but it also feels very put together - in a way that not many Guerlains are to my nose.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, you put it really well!
And I agree, Terracotta is very easy to wear, but it also feels very put together - in a way that not many Guerlains are to my nose.

I was going to wear either Bond no. 9 Fire Island (super-suntan-lotion vibe) or Teracotta Le Parfum (EDT), and went with the latter, because I never wear it.

The last time I wore it was almost 4 years ago, leaving this short review:

You will now wake up
At Guerlain while on the beach
Dressed in cosmetics.

I now remember why I wrote that. I fell asleep wearing the fragrance in the early evening, IIRC, and as I was beginning to wake up, I had a dream where I was at this beautiful Guerlain "store" which was basically built around a sparkling swimming pool on a hillside overlooking a beach. The store personnel and the clients were not wearing much other than very colorful jewelry and cosmetics. Everybody was very tanned and fit and well groomed. They seemed a lot like people of ancient cultures, only the whole thing was rather high-tech at the same time. Space-age Sumerians or something. The sun was bright, the air was warm, but there was a wonderful breeze - it was really incredible.

It was the most spectacular dream. So I'm actually glad I chose this scent, saw what I had written, and remembered the dream.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I was going to wear either Bond no. 9 Fire Island (super-suntan-lotion vibe) or Teracotta Le Parfum (EDT), and went with the latter, because I never wear it.

You will now wake up
Dressed in cosmetics.

I now remember why I wrote that. I fell asleep wearing the fragrance in the early evening, IIRC, and as I was beginning to wake up, I had a dream where I was at this beautiful Guerlain "store" which was basically built around a sparkling swimming pool on a hillside overlooking a beach. The store personnel and the clients were not wearing much other than very colorful jewelry and cosmetics. Everybody was very tanned and fit and well groomed. They seemed a lot like people of ancient cultures, only the whole thing was rather high-tech at the same time. Space-age Sumerians or something. The sun was bright, the air was warm, but there was a wonderful breeze - it was really incredible.

It was the most spectacular dream. So I'm actually glad I chose this scent, saw what I had written, and remembered the dream.

I'm seeing a gleaming utopian Startrek TNG episode, someone at Guerlain, make this happen!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
ahh I was looking for this thread, hadn't noticed it was moved to the stickies! I'm looking forward to starting this sync!

Like Earlyn, Bronze Goddess crossed my mind for this month, but I don't currently have any. I will find myself a sample to wear. In the mean time, I will kick off this month with Guerlain Terracotta which is a perfect pick for the suntan theme. For me, its;s the perfect beachy, salty skin, cocktails-with-lime, white floral that manages to be chic and sunny at the same time. It's a staple in my summer wardrobe and as after months of lingering cold and rain, summer has finally arrived here, the timing couldn't be better!

I used to have that one and I did get a nice suntan vibe from it. I might still have my Bronze Goddess decant, I'll need to check the stash.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm seeing a gleaming utopian Startrek TNG episode, someone at Guerlain, make this happen!

Yes! It was very TNG!

Now wearing Valentino Uomo Born In Roma Yellow Dream (wow!) which is supposedly based on the magical hour of sunrise in Rome. Not sure there is any hour in Rome that's not magical in some sense! :happy:

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
ahh I was looking for this thread, hadn't noticed it was moved to the stickies! I'm looking forward to starting this sync!

Oh, Terracotta seems perfect for June!

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I have the pale, freckled complexion of a redhead, so I've been avoiding the sun and suntan products all my life. If SPF-50 had a smell, that's what I should be syncing in this weekend. :)

But I've always suspected I would like Guerlain Terracotta, though I've never sampled it. It just sounds lovely.

Orangers En Fleurs by Houbigant very much reminds me of Copertone. Maybe this?!

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I spritzed Chaldée as planned yesterday, and today went with Trayee, which actually warmed up wonderfully in the sun and heat and brought out the creamy aspects of the sandalwood so well. It was very... tropical destination-exotic. Very interesting. First time I’ve worn it in such warm weather. Recommend.

Also hit Dune a bit last week, which was is good for contemplating the beach.

Those of you wearing Terracotta, are you doing the recent version or the old one?

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016

You will now wake up
Dressed in cosmetics.

What a wonderful dream. So well described. Thanks for sharing:)

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
Just discovered this thread and looking forward to participating when I can. I love the Friday syncs and had been wishing for other opportunities to sync on here!

I missed the "suntan classics" sync, but that's okay because I'm saving my samples of suntan-ish scents for a trip to Hawaii next month. If I had joined the sync, I would have worn Bobbi Brown Beach and CB I Hate Perfume At the Beach 1966.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
How does one tell an old version from a newer one? I bought a nearly full bottle a few years ago, no idea how old it is.

I should have been more specific: are people wearing the Voile d'Ete, or Le Parfum? Terracotta Voile d'Ete is the OG version, Terracotta Le Parfum is the same name, but a very different scent.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Just discovered this thread and looking forward to participating when I can. I love the Friday syncs and had been wishing for other opportunities to sync on here!

I missed the "suntan classics" sync, but that's okay because I'm saving my samples of suntan-ish scents for a trip to Hawaii next month. If I had joined the sync, I would have worn Bobbi Brown Beach and CB I Hate Perfume At the Beach 1966.

How fun! I also feel like "at the pool" has some crossover, though I'm trying to decide on what to wear for that. Very curious as to what people will end up with for that next weekend. Welcome!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I should have been more specific: are people wearing the Voile d'Ete, or Le Parfum? Terracotta Voile d'Ete is the OG version, Terracotta Le Parfum is the same name, but a very different scent.

I'm wearing Terracotta Le Parfum, the new one. I think it has been around for a while already though.
Voile d'Ete is long discontinued. I read it's different. But it also has its own page as it's a different scent. Have you tried both? Which one do you prefer?

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

I'm wearing Terracotta Le Parfum, the new one. I think it has been around for a while already though.
Voile d'Ete is long discontinued. I read it's different. But it also has its own page as it's a different scent. Have you tried both? Which one do you prefer?

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Virgin Island water is a good one! Very pool side appropriate, in my opinion. I will have to get creative as I am away for a weekend of sailing and I don't have much that fits this theme. I think I'll go 'pond' rather than 'pool', and will bring Hermes Le Jardin de Monsieur Li. It's a weird, watery, mineralic jasmine that reminds me of skin after a dip in fresh water, cool wet stones and lazing around in a sun dappled garden on a temperate summer's day.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I ordered some samples of some beachy poolside suntan stuff since I don’t have much of that. Unfortunately my first sampling of Fire Island did not go well today so I’m checking on mislabeling since this can’t possibly be what everyone else is describing.

Hoping some of my samples come tomorrow but I’ll be starting off with Terracotta le Parfum since I didn’t wear it last weekend.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm starting off with the daily dose of Virgin Island Water before moving to other warm weather friendly candidates.

I found a sample of Frapin L'Humaniste. I might have some L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer edition 2009 left over. Then there's my watery Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus and summery Shalimar Legere flanker.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Just before packing and going to visit my family I remembered I have a decant of CK Escape and grabbed it! I wore it yesterday to sleep. It's a rich, floral, fruity, ambery, yet abstract melon-aquatic. Feels very fitting to "by the pool" mood!
It's also a rare instance of an aquatic that doesn't cloy me. Not my favourite still and I don't need a bottle, but I'll be able to use up a decant.

And today as planned I'm in Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic - a beautiful and happy scent, very sunny and juicy. It always reminds me of summer holidays - and that's why I love having a travel spray so that I could always bring it to vacations and make the happy associations even stronger!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Went with some Frapin L'Humaniste
375x500.7015.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I did something very out of character for this sync; I blind bought a bottle of fragrance, now that's what I call commitment!

It's like this: last week I was sailing with my parents and I grabbed their bottle of Nivea sunscreen, and they've changed the scent! The iconic, unique, instantly recognisable Nivea sunscreen scent, which smells like my childhood summers: swimming in the- often jellyfish infested- North sea, and eating sandwiches with sand in them on the beach, and cycling home in the late afternoon while thunder clouds gathered, was replaced by something different. The new scent is very pleasant (sweet creamy lavender, Caron Pour un Homme-ish), but it's not Nivea sun. THEY CHANGED IT! Not cool. So I killed 2 birds with one stone and bought a bottle of Nivea Sun EdT (which I'm pretty sure exists only to appease people like me), and it is indeed a pretty accurate rendition of the sunscreen scent, and it's called Nivea Sun, so it fits this weekend's theme.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I did something very out of character for this sync; I blind bought a bottle of fragrance, now that's what I call commitment!

It's like this: last week I was sailing with my parents and I grabbed their bottle of Nivea sunscreen, and they've changed the scent! The iconic, unique, instantly recognisable Nivea sunscreen scent, which smells like my childhood summers: swimming in the- often jellyfish infested- North sea, and eating sandwiches with sand in them on the beach, and cycling home in the late afternoon while thunder clouds gathered, was replaced by something different. The new scent is very pleasant (sweet creamy lavender, Caron Pour un Homme-ish), but it's not Nivea sun. THEY CHANGED IT! Not cool. So I killed 2 birds with one stone and bought a bottle of Nivea Sun EdT (which I'm pretty sure exists only to appease people like me), and it is indeed a pretty accurate rendition of the sunscreen scent, and it's called Nivea Sun, so it fits this weekend's theme.

Dedication to the sync!
Enjoyed reading your memories of Nivea Sun - Hope it brings back all that good stuff for you.

Don’t think I have anything for the Sun/Soleil thing. Briefly thought about purchasing a mini of Sun Moon and Stars to cover both the Friday Solstice and the Weekend Sun one but I just didn’t get excited enough about it. So I’ll just be putting on some Terranova Tiare Lei oil that brings back memories of sunny Tahitian beaches.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
yellowtone, I admire your dedication!

I must admit I have nothing with literal English Sun in the name - only two Soleils and one Sol.
Next weekend is dedicated to Soleil, and I might cheat a bit this weekend and wear Aqua Solis by Le Couvent des Minimes on Saturday or Sunday morning. I've been wearing it in the mornings through all this week already - including today.

Latest News