Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
So go with jasmine then :)
I'll go with lily.
Sounds like a plan, here's the first one - Rogue Perfumery Jasmine Antique - A great reference to the jasmine note.
375x500.60679.jpg

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I was going to give this weekend of jasmine and lily scents a miss as jasmine and summer doesn't usually mix for me but we had a lot of thunderstorms go through yesterday and overnight so it is mild here today. I'm syncing with Narciso Poudree by NR. This has a clean jasmine note in it which is overwhelmingly noticeable during the warmer months. I will admit that I prefer to wear this during winter when the notes in this perfume are more balanced and it is a bedtime winter favourite.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I'll kick off my weekend with a day of jasmine. The smell of jasmine flowers is my favourite scent in the world, and an analysis of my wardrobe reveals that at least half my scents contain this note. I love it the most as part of a larger ensemble of notes, especially in full on old school florals, such as Madame Rochas, Chanel No. 5, or Joy, plush, rich 'florientals' like Samsara or Tsarina, or in more bitter, green chypre settings, like in Azuree, Bruno Acampora's Prima T, or even the velvety 31 Rue Cambon. Jasmine soliflores usually dissapoint me because they can't quite measure up to the splendour of the real thing. There are 2 notable exceptions: N.Cal's pick Jasmine Antique, and Bruno Acampora's Jasmin T (Bruno knows his way around jasmine).

Today, I'll start with the magnificent Joy by Patou (rest in peace, dear Joy), in vintage extrait strength, of which I only have a tiny sample that I believe grayspoole sent me. Tonight I will experiment with layering Jasmin T and Jasmine Antique, that will be something!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm wearing Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels from a sample. It's a lovely slightly spicy, slightly soapy lily that wears beautifully. There's some cinnamon that makes everything so good to me - I love cinnamon both in food and fragrances. I really do enjoy Van Cleef & Arpels Extraordinaire line - I like or love everything I have tried so far - except their Oud.

Tomorrow I'll try to wear Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford - the lily is not the main note here, it plays together with tuberose and orchid here. It's an interesting case of a fragrance - I should theoretically hate it, but I do enjoy it, especially the creamy-nutty-gourmand drydown. I wear it rarely though because I do have to suffer through a very plastic-smelling opening of this fragrance (it really smells like some plastic soliflore to me for the first 20 minutes or so...or should I say soliplastic?), but when I do, I arrive at this beautiful nutty-creamy gourmand with sunny florals that I really enjoy. I guess I hate and love it at the same time.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
If you ladies were hoping for a dude-free weekend by hiding in a jasmine & lily fortress, well... you were wrong. But I know you don't, hence why I'll join (for the first time) with the now discontinued

Carillon pour un Ange by Tauer
Excellent timing for this sync, since a kind Basenoter added a sample of this one with a purchase I made, and that arrived...yesterday.
I already tried it in store last year in Chicago at Merz, from a half full tester bottle they kept under the counter, but unfortunately not available to purchase anymore as they were out-of-stock (and will never be stocked again with that one).
Back to the fragrance: I found it stunning when I tried it on-the-fly in store, and I can only confirm my initial impression now that I get a chance to wear it quietly. A fresh/sparkling lily accord, probably composed by a smart combination of jasmine, ylang, spices and rose, that will be supported by sublte mossy and woody undertones.
I feel like I'm walking near a small mountain stream, in the green Swiss Alps, in a corner full of lilies, on a sunny day. Pure bliss. No need to add more... why did I wrote so much, again?

375x500.9503.jpg

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Lily day today, jasmine tomorrow!

9C695F75-A11F-4B34-AD4B-37AA79417FA6.jpeg
Starting my weekend with one of these vintage lily nips - sort of a nose primer like when they wave a fugitive’s shirt under a bloodhound’s nose and send it tracking. Getting a very clear fresh lily, weirdly damp and dry at the same time.

Hoping I’ll have a better chance of glimpsing the flower in one of these later today -
Passage d’Enfer
Donna Karan Gold
Anais Anais

Happy weekend!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I was in sync with my evening scent 1845 by Mount Romance. I received another travel size bottle (roll on this time not a spray) of this as a gift with purchase just before Christmas. It's an floriental type scent that highlights Australian Sandalwood. It doesn't mention any other notes except sandalwood but I'm sure there is some jasmine in it. It has a big old school feel to it as well. It's a very good quality perfume but I find it a bit challenging to wear - sometimes I really like it but at other times it feels overwhelming and too much.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I'm so glad that jasmine & lily are being enjoyed this weekend! Seems more popular than tuberose or gardenia. I went with Rodin's Rodin today. How I lusted after this bottle for years, only to not wear it once acquired. This is one of the reasons I wanted to add a little structure into my perfume year: to wear perfumes I hunted for, purchased, and then never wore. Bad hoarding habit!

Rodin is a truly amazing jasmine soliflore, very, very true to the bloom itself. (I think I have a thing for photorealistic scents.) Jasmine, lily of the valley, neroli, and citrus notes are listed, but I only smell jasmine. Anyway, a masterpiece of jasmine, an alien could smell it and understand what jasmine flowers smell like here on Earth.

Rodin.png

I also sprayed Relique d'Amour by Oriza L. Legrand when I got home from running errands - I'm just a scent bomb today! I needed some cool lilies to contemplate the scenery.

relique.jpeg

I think I feel satisfied by today's perfume sync applications and am going to go back to Pekji's Ruh tomorrow, which I have to tell you all - if you haven't discovered Pekji Perfumes yet, you must. Battaniye first knocked my socks off last January when it was cold and I was craving a true incense. There is really nothing like it on the market in my experience. Ruh grew on me, and I am about to be in possession of someone else's cast-off partial. Thank god for de-stashes! (Cardamon/Coffee/Rose perfection!)

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 5.29.07 PM.png

Enjoy the scents my friends!
(Photos stolen from the internet. Sorry not sorry.)

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Just noticed that y'all were holding a BWF party over here. Love it!

I am an unapologetic, card carrying member of the BWF club. Since we are doing gardenia this weekend, I put on quite a lot of vintage Ma Griffe parfum on this cold and rainy winter Sunday (where I am).

Gardenia-forward scents always appeal to me, but perhaps I am even more intrigued by vintages that include gardenia within a complex blend. With some of these scents, the gardenia will mysteriously unfold itself at different points in the evolution. You can just catch it, and then it disappears. Vintage Miss Dior has just such a haunting gardenia note buried in its depths, one that always pleases me when I perceive it, as does its sister scent, vintage Ma Griffe, where the gardenia has even more of a presence.
How interesting, I've never noticed a trace of gardenia in Ma Griffe! I am reading this thread with fascination this weekend, noticing what other people do or don't smell in various perfumes I have and am familiar with.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I'll kick off my weekend with a day of jasmine. The smell of jasmine flowers is my favourite scent in the world, and an analysis of my wardrobe reveals that at least half my scents contain this note. I love it the most as part of a larger ensemble of notes, especially in full on old school florals, such as Madame Rochas, Chanel No. 5, or Joy, plush, rich 'florientals' like Samsara or Tsarina, or in more bitter, green chypre settings, like in Azuree, Bruno Acampora's Prima T, or even the velvety 31 Rue Cambon. Jasmine soliflores usually dissapoint me because they can't quite measure up to the splendour of the real thing. There are 2 notable exceptions: N.Cal's pick Jasmine Antique, and Bruno Acampora's Jasmin T (Bruno knows his way around jasmine).

Today, I'll start with the magnificent Joy by Patou (rest in peace, dear Joy), in vintage extrait strength, of which I only have a tiny sample that I believe grayspoole sent me. Tonight I will experiment with layering Jasmin T and Jasmine Antique, that will be something!
So interesting that you smell florals in Samsara! I don't get much from Samsara at all, except a cool, clean-feeling sandalwood. It is notoriously difficult for me to smell this perfume though. It took a lot of testing before I could pick up anything at all. There must be something in it that I'm anosmic to and blocks out the rest for me.

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
I'm wearing Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels from a sample. It's a lovely slightly spicy, slightly soapy lily that wears beautifully. There's some cinnamon that makes everything so good to me - I love cinnamon both in food and fragrances. I really do enjoy Van Cleef & Arpels Extraordinaire line - I like or love everything I have tried so far - except their Oud.

Tomorrow I'll try to wear Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford - the lily is not the main note here, it plays together with tuberose and orchid here. It's an interesting case of a fragrance - I should theoretically hate it, but I do enjoy it, especially the creamy-nutty-gourmand drydown. I wear it rarely though because I do have to suffer through a very plastic-smelling opening of this fragrance (it really smells like some plastic soliflore to me for the first 20 minutes or so...or should I say soliplastic?), but when I do, I arrive at this beautiful nutty-creamy gourmand with sunny florals that I really enjoy. I guess I hate and love it at the same time.
New note suggestion: "soliplast." 🤣

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm another one that gets lots of jasmine in Samsara, it's as much about jasmine as it it the sandalwood and there are indoles, too. Not sure about the bee and the newest bottle versions but the old original bottles have noticeable jasmine indoles in there.

Today, I remembered my new box of One Seed samples. One Seed is an Australian brand in South Australia that focuses on naturals only perfumes.
This morning I'm wearing Courage. It's probably more about the ylang ylang and magnolia but there is some jasmine in this fragrance as well. I love the mix of the florals with the rosewood, vanilla and amber, the notes interplay beautifully together and the base notes smooth, soften and mellow out the big floral notes. I've owned a bottle of this in the past, I forgot how lovely this perfume is and I'm really enjoying this wearing. They now offer 9ml roller ball travel bottles as well as 30ml bottles. I think I'll get this in the 9ml size, I miss having a few naturals in my perfume wardrobe.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Tomorrow will be another Jasmine of note. Lust by Lush. I have the solid perfume. This nasty stuff concentrates on Jasmine Indol through it's long life.
Trail never quite reaches the Feathered loveliness of what is found in the Gem White Florals. I will take this over the Tuberose monsters of Perfumery.
Only for the most Wicked Demons of us!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Moved on to Donna Karan Gold this evening.
Im so glad I did the vintage lily nip earlier today as a reference. It was great at first but then went a bit more dewy than I was expecting.

Now smelling Donna Karan Gold I’m really appreciating this composition focused around lily with the addition of some sweeter honeyed florals and a sheen of violet leaf. A nice balance here that hi-lights the real pollen and petal flower, with the warm reflective edge of the gilded lily.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
@N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer - Thanks for chatting about the Jasmiralda. Sorry we were cut off by the nightly website maintenance. I’m now very curious about the bouvardia note and it’s use as sort of a jasmin multiplier in early century perfumes and I wonder why it is not used anymore.
It's certainly an interesting note, I didn't think too much of it until now since you brought it up.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Pardon my digression on bouvardia, a floral note between jasmine, violet, and orange.
After doing some research I found out that De Laire, the same makers of the famous Mousse de Saxe base also made an original bouvardia base that was a key component in Guerlain Apres L’Ondee (1906). Guerlain released Jasmiralda (1917 US), Pour Troubler (1911), and Fol Arome (1912) which all list bouvardia notes so I guess they were heavy users in the first couple decades of the 1900’s.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Two more Guerlains with bouvardia:
Aï Loe (1905)
  • Top notes: lavender, jasmine, rosemary, bergamot
  • Middle notes: carnation, rose, bouvardia, ylang ylang, mint, thyme, opoponax, Tonkin musk
  • Base notes: musk, civet, vanilla, tonka
Bouquet de Faunes (1923)
  • Top notes: neroli, suede, jasmine
  • Middle notes: bouvardia, orris, marjoram, rose, amber, carnation
  • Base notes: musk, vanilla,tonka bean

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Lily day today, jasmine tomorrow!

View attachment 181413
Starting my weekend with one of these vintage lily nips - sort of a nose primer like when they wave a fugitive’s shirt under a bloodhound’s nose and send it tracking. Getting a very clear fresh lily, weirdly damp and dry at the same time.

Hoping I’ll have a better chance of glimpsing the flower in one of these later today -
Passage d’Enfer
Donna Karan Gold
Anais Anais

Happy weekend!
Those little vials look so interesting, like a tiny science experiment! What brand are they? From the various descriptions of Donna Karan's Gold I gather that this is one I need to try. I did a whole lily binge last year, but this one escaped my notice.

1986 Vintage Hermes Bel Ami.
The earlier vintage has a dark oily petroleum note and it is Jasmine gasoline
that offers this up.
I love this scent.
I often think of the late JTD's
gem of a review.
Particularly his comment about running a hand through chest hair.
Definitive Review of this Leather legend!
Purecaramel now I have the mental image of Burt-on-that-rug in my head... I gave my dad a sample of Bel Ami (not vintage) to try, as he's looking for a new scent, but now I kind of am conflicted about the idea of him wearing that:ROFLMAO:

So interesting that you smell florals in Samsara! I don't get much from Samsara at all, except a cool, clean-feeling sandalwood. It is notoriously difficult for me to smell this perfume though. It took a lot of testing before I could pick up anything at all. There must be something in it that I'm anosmic to and blocks out the rest for me.
For me, vintage Samsara (EdP) is a simple concoction of equal parts jasmine, vanilla, and sandalwood, all at unapologetic foghorn strength; loud, on the verge of obnoxious, and absolutely delicious!

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Another day, another BWF, yay! Today is lily day, arguably my favourite flower at the moment. I used to hate the scent of lilies and chucked them out of bouquets I received before they would open and fill the room with their scent. And then, one day, I did a 180 and loved the scent, that heady, sweet and slightly pissy odeur that is almost tangible in its heaviness; like how scents are visible in cartoons, or so I alway imagine. I now love nothing more than a vase full of those big, gnarly, white and pink blossoms that open one by one (even though I have to take great care that my cat does not touch them, as lilies are apparently quite toxic for cats, and my cat very much likes to munch on all the things he should not munch on).

This pivot made me interested in a lily scent, so I went on a lily perfume tear a year ago, trying everything I could find that featured the note prominently. I ended up with a top 3, consisting of:

Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle - a very realistic interpretation of freshly opened lilies, without any of the swampier, deathly aspects of the blooms. Head spinningly gorgeous, so much so that I bought 2 full bottles at retail price, something I never do. I have had moments during the summer where I thought I might be happy wearing nothing but this scent for the rest of my days.
Lys 41 by Le Labo - Leans in to the sweet, heady, creamy side of lilies, with just a hint of that room filling, there's-no-escape-from-this funeral home aspect of the flower. The base is a tad generic-sweet, but I find the oil version of the fragrance is better in that department.
Lily by Roja Dove - If you can get over the ridiculous branding and the even more ridiculous price, this is an excellent lily scent. A bit less distinctive than numbers 1 and 2, but a good full fledged lily nonetheless. As I own numbers 1 and 2, I find I don't desire this enough to get over my aversion to Roja Dove.

I have taken to layering Lys Mediterranee over the oil version of Lys 41, which results in a veritable mushroom cloud of lily that extends far around my person. I'm normally an under sprayer, but for this I make an exception. I will wear this today as I prepare my house for the big move that will finally happen next weekend. I do have a sample of RD's lily somewhere, if I can find it I will wear that tonight to compare and contrast.

Last edited:

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
Another day, another BWF, yay! Today is lily day, arguably my favourite flower at the moment. I used to hate the scent of lilies and chucked them out of bouquets I received before they would open and fill the room with their scent. And then, one day, I did a 180 and loved the scent, that heady, sweet and slightly pissy odeur that is almost tangible in its heaviness; like how scents are visible in cartoons, or so I alway imagine. I now love nothing more than a vase full of those big, gnarly, white and pink blossoms that open one by one (even though I have to take great care that my cat does not touch them, as lilies are apparently quite toxic for cats, and my cat very much likes to munch on all the things he should not munch on).

This pivot made me interested in a lily scent, so I went on a lily perfume tear a year ago, trying everything I could find that featured the note prominently. I ended up with a top 3, consisting of:

Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle - a very realistic interpretation of freshly opened lilies, without any of the swampier, deadly aspects of the blooms. Head spinningly gorgeous, so much so that I bought 2 full bottles at retail price, something I never do. I have had moments during the summer where I thought I might be happy wearing nothing but this scent for the rest of my days.
Lys 41 by Le Labo - Leans in to the sweet, heady, creamy side of lilies, with just a hint of that room filling, there's-no-escape-from-this funeral home aspect of the flower. The base is a tad generic-sweet, but I find the oil version of the fragrance is better in that department.
Lily by Roja Dove - If you can get over the ridiculous branding and the even more ridiculous price, this is an excellent lily scent. A bit less distinctive than numbers 1 and 2, but a good full fledged lily nonetheless. As I own numbers 1 and 2, I find I don't desire this enough to get over my aversion to Roja Dove.

I have taken to layering Lys Mediterranee over the oil version of Lys 41, which results in a veritable mushroom cloud of lily that extends far around my person. I'm normally an under sprayer, but for this I make an exception. I will wear this today as I prepare my house for the big move that will finally happen next weekend. I do have a sample of RD's lily somewhere, if I can find it I will wear that tonight to compare and contrast.
How wonderful! I bet you smell amazing. Wish I could be in the room with you! Good luck packing up!!!

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Excellent choice ... though it doesn't quite work for me, I once purchased this one for a lady-friend who adored it. It's the first scent that usually comes to mind when I think of lily.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Today I wore Orchid Soleil just as planned - and surprisingly today it was beautiful from start to finish, skipping the soliplastic parts altogether. Yay!

For the evening I went to sample new scents a bit in the nearby store, and, to be in the spirit of the synch, I put on Lili Fantasy by Juliette Has a Gun on my wrist - it's super fitting as it has lily in the name and jasmine in the notes! How you'll feel about the perfume depends on your stance on ambroxan and proudly synthetic-smelling perfumes overall - and since I have a pretty positive outlook on both, I do enjoy it. To me it kind of reminds of my beloved Lady Vengeance and Mad Madame by the same brand, but with sweet white florals instead of dark rose. I mean, the scent is different, but something in how they're made seems similar. Lili Fantasy is supposed to smell a little bubblegummy, too, but for me it doesn't - it has sweetish vibes, but for me it's not bubblegum (and that's a good thing for me). I kinda like it - but that's it. I don't need it in my wardrobe.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Sunday afternoon, I tried another One Seed perfume sample - Symphony. This is a first time wearing. Never say never because I really like this perfume, too. It's a spicy green floral on me. Seemed to compliment the setting I was in, out in nature at Blue Rock Lake.
  1. Top Notes​

2. Heart Notes​

3. Base Notes​

Latest News