Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Hmmmm, in this case I'd rather just move this one (I think SmokeAndSky wouldn't object to this, I just remember her mentioning why she chose to start her thread here; but on the other hand, there are many manly roses for this to fit into General, too). I feel like three different threads for Friday, Weekend and Sunday would probably be too much.
I don't know how about you, but I personally approach this thread in a very laid back way - if I don't feel like synching on Saturday, I will synch only on Sunday and so on. I kind of like this freedom.

I'm flattered by your offer, but I think others would like to shine a bit, too? I don't want to usurp everything (well, maybe I'd love to, but I don't think it would be right :D). So many of you are very enthusiastic about this thread, too - you, Earlyn, Warum, teardrop, Trilby and so many others (I'm sorry if I don't mention some of you - it does not mean you're not among the candidates in my head! I'm just writing very hastily). If nobody wants to do this, I could take over this thread, too, when the time comes, but I don't believe that no one would want to try it out, too. You dears have so many ideas!

The weekend synch can take many forms, but I actually would like to give a full freedom for the future host of this one - just like SmokeAndSky did this however she pleased to fit her own needs and wardrobe, so can the new host - thus if we rotate the hosts yearly for this one we could have wildly different weekend synchs every year :)
That's how I see it. But maybe you have better ideas? We still have half a year to go!
Yes, I wasn't sure on the Sunday sync idea but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought of it. Most of the remaining syncs would be o.k. in GFD although the White Floral month might not be as popular! (Off topic, my husband is plaiting my hair as I'm trying to type this) I'll wait for some others to chime in with their thoughts on moving this to GFD. I remember that SmokeandSky was expecting a baby so I'm thinking she is very busy with her new bub!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Oh, we don't have to move this thread, I'm happy to have it remain here! I don't want everyone thinking that I don't want it in FFD, just trying to do what's best for Basenotes!

I was thinking in the way of appeasing both parties who either wanted the sync Friday thread moved or have it kept in the FFD. If a sync list existed in each of the two forums then it could be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
People, isn't all this a bit premature? This sync still has seven more months to run.

Move it, or don't move it, I doubt that anyone participating in it really cares much. And since its OP has abandoned it, who's to object?
I was asking ClockWorkAlice, more about if she was interested in running a new sync in GFD if we didn't move this one but I think N.Cal and CWA are right - a weekend sync works but a Sunday sync probably won't work.

When I re-read the first page of this thread, I noticed she had a "Making room for a baby, selling perfume here!" link at the bottom of her posts so I'm not sure if SmokeandSky has intentionally abandoned this thread, I think she is very busy with her new baby and as you say, there is still seven months left in this sync so it's possible she may return when she is not so sleep deprived.

And, also knowing that she wanted it here in FFD which I didn't have knowledge of when I first suggested moving it, I'm inclined to leave it! I found out last year, hardly nobody objects to a thread being moved until it happens! Even when I post in a thread, beforehand, about a possible move and ask for members opinions.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I found out last year, hardly nobody objects to a thread being moved until it happens! Even when I post in a thread, beforehand, about a possible move and ask for members opinions.

:LOL: Like putting up a stop sign at an intersection -- everybody thinks it's a great idea until you actually do it, then they bitch like crazy.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I'm inclined to leave it here, for all the reasons stated above. We can start the next round in the General forum, although I do like the cozy vibes here!

This week it's ice, sleet and snow for us, I'm wondering which way to go with this one. I don't have many icy scents.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Chanel Christalle and No 19 both come to mind for the icy cold feel.
375x500.12.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I’ll join this weekend with some vintage l’Eau d’Hiver. Its not quite ice or snow, but more like a serene winter lake surrounded by ice and snow.
Ahh, that's a good one, lovely scent too! You gave me an idea and I pulled out Nuee Bleue by Maison Violet, a tender and cool green iris scent, that, with a bit of imagination, smells like the last snowflakes of the year resting on tender spring greens. Not quite ice and sleet, but it will do!

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Not so much the scent of ice or snow, but a scent that often brings to mind grey skies in autumn is Serge Lutens Gris Clair. It just feels right, walking beneath the overcast sky and crunching through the autumn leaves. Perhaps a glimmer of light as the sun peaks through a break in the clouds...

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I really don't want to wear my Jimmy Choo Man Ice, even though it's perfect. I need WARMTH!!! 🔥
Do what you need! I think it fits the theme! Grey skies, sleet and snow are outside - and you're wearing what's inside!

I considered doing the exact take on a theme I suggested to @Redneck Perfumisto above but I woke up to an extremely bright and sunny day. It's pretty chilly too for the values of "cold" in coastal Oregon. And that weather is a ticket for #22.

My apologies, I am not sure how it happened but my collection shows #22 parfum but I do not own that. I own vintage EDC.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
After having a perfect sync with #22 yesterday I decided to revisit my Amouage Gold sample to see if it will give me a similar wintry feel. It absolutely doesn’t even though my nose detects some distinct similarities in the drydown. But smell itself isn’t everything (shock! horror!) that gives a fragrance its feel. I will write more about my thoughts in the SOTD when I’m done with the day.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
This weekend has gotten away from me, but managed to dig out my almost empty sample of Hermès Eau de Gentiane Blanche. Liking this enough for another decant for sure!
Peppery ice plant juice!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This weekend I wore Nothing But Sea And Sky by Une Nuit Nomade - I wore it both on Saturday and Sunday from a sample but I procrastinated posting as I was away and I hate typing long posts on my phone, and I also hate to be brief. (as you probably noticed already)

It's a very clean, slightly quiet and very calm smelling bergamot-sandalwood-musk scent that is supposed to evoke Montauk during winter, and I think I can almost imagine the snowy landscape if I squint very well while sniffing it (I'm not a visual thinker so actually visualizing things is very hard to me, I'd actually think about the concept of snow, silence and calm instead of seeing anything with my minds eye, but still).

The fragrance is very enjoyable and actually quite simple and minimalistic, more like something to quietly enjoy than something that will knock you out, but official blurb is very evocative:

In his celebrated poetry collection 'Leaves of Grass', Walt Whitman wrote 'From Montauk Point', where his contemplation led him to quote: 'Nothing, but sea and sky'.

At Montauk Point, also called The End, the world stops during winter. The sky is veiled in pale white and the breath of a blizzard sprinkles the beach with snowflakes. The rough sea gives the impression of a large cotton field in bloom.

'Nothing but Sea and Sky' is a tribute to Montauk under its coat of snow. It is a reassuring fragrance, a stole of white musks infused in sandalwood with milky notes.

Fun Fact: it was suggested to me by hednic in the 'post your photo and people will tell you what fragrance fits you' thread, so of course I wanted to try it out. And I agree that it fits me, I feel very comfortable wearing it :)

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I'm closing out the weekend with Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese. This one is purely charred wood with wafts of smoky, Islay Scotch in the background. Perfect for warming things up on a dark, snowy evening at the tail-end of autumn.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Fun Fact: it was suggested to me by hednic in the 'post your photo and people will tell you what fragrance fits you' thread, so of course I wanted to try it out. And I agree that it fits me, I feel very comfortable wearing it :)

Very cool story, ClockworkAlice. Nothing but Sea and Sky is such a wonderfully evocative name as well.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I wasn't really up for syncing this weekend, and now, looking ahead to next week, I'm kind of stumped. There isn't anything in the traditional American Thanksgiving meal that I even like to eat, let alone smell. (If I had my way, Thanksgiving would be celebrated with shellfish.)

Except for maybe the spices that go in the pies, and fresh baked bread or rolls. So I guess it's going to come down to a spice scent, or Bois Farine again, my fallback foody fragrance. Oh, and I do have ELDO's Like This, with its spicy pumpkin, though I'm not crazy about it. So there's that.

Or maybe I'll scrounge around for a men's frag that has sage in it, to emulate the turkey stuffing. I do like the smell of sage.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Very cool story, ClockworkAlice. Nothing but Sea and Sky is such a wonderfully evocative name as well.
Yes, isn't it? Lovely name!
(If I had my way, Thanksgiving would be celebrated with shellfish.)
I live on the Pacific coast in a small town with a fairly large fishing fleet. One year the day after Thanksgiving I heard a knock on the door. At the door were two next door neighbors with a bunch of king crab legs. They always celebrate Thanksgiving with crab legs and other seafood. Makes a whole lot of sense for commercial fishermen! Needless to say that was my favorite Thanksgiving meal ;-)

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I've worn Tonka Imperial for Thanksgiving evening. I probably will consider Bois d'armenie or perhaps Spiritueuse Double Vanille or perhaps rewearing Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia.
Any reasons why they fit this theme so well for you? Is it because of the gourmand facets or something you're especially thankful for?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Any reasons why they fit this theme so well for you? Is it because of the gourmand facets or something you're especially thankful for?
For me Gourmands and orieintals bring out a festive mood. It's inviting and comforting at the same time. In my opinion the holidays are the best times to pull out these scents.

I'm doing that again tonight with my Cuir Beluga selection.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm doing a twist on the Thanksgiving theme by choosing fragrances that I'm most thankful to have discovered this year! So no "feast" scents, one of my selections this weekend will include a fenugreek note but this Aussie is thinking that it's not a popular ingredient for thanksgiving food....:unsure:

First up is Pourpre d'Automne by Violet which was a love at first sniff scent. Top Notes violet leaf peach Heart Notes plum rose iris violet Base Notes oakmoss benzoin musk

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I got nothin' for this weekend. I'm all Thanksgiving'd out, and the only smell I associate with Hannukah is braised beef brisket with onions.

I guess I'll just be hanging by the punchbowl this weekend and skipping the dance.
I'll join you this time. I don't really know what Thanksgiving and Hanukkah are like firsthand - I only know what media and other people tell me. I thought about synching with something I'm thankful for, but right now I'm feeling like I want to wear things that I just feel like wearing at the moment instead of thinking up stuff that fits.

In a way, I am thankful for all my fragrances and this community that gives me the ability to indulge in them all and cherish them all together - so in this sense, everything fits.
I really felt like wearing Mon Guerlain this evening, so I'm wearing it.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I wish I had this to wear this weekend for some Hanukkah smells but I don’t -
DSH Maccabees A Hanukkah Scent.
“A rich beeswax scent with notes of honey, immortelle, warm resins (to imply the lighted oil effect), and soft smoke note that adds depth and solemnity to the fragrance. Some might say it’s a not-so-sweet, slightly burnt honey perfume.”

Latest News