Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
This is the coldest night we've had so far this year, getting down below freezing. I'm wearing Areej le Dore Manly, which is very cozy to me. Sweet, smoky, leathery, and boozy. It just feels right tonight, and I'm enjoying it next to the fireplace with a glass of bourbon in hand ;)

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Speaking of ambers, Ambre Narguille would be perfect for the occasion. The sugary substance and gourmand feel would work wonders with something wooly.
I considered going with your idea of wearing a dessert fragrance - and I have one, Mahjoun by DSH. This is a Moroccan recipe for an edible containing nuts, spices, dates (and other dried fruit), honey and hash. When Dawn introduced it to me she said that the only thing missing from the perfume was hash. She also said that on me it doesn't smell as sweet as it does on her other customers. Smells plenty sweet on me! Can't even imagine what a gourmand bomb it would be on someone who smells sweeter than me in their natural state.

But the best laid plan of mice and perfumistas ;-)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
O.K. This is probably really easy to do, but how do you you get a link to look like this in a post?
You copy the link from the weblink from the browser and paste it into your post like this:

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks so much, N.Cal! I knew it would be something simple, I was trying to use the Insert Link button.

Just testing......

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I considered going with your idea of wearing a dessert fragrance - and I have one, Mahjoun by DSH. This is a Moroccan recipe for an edible containing nuts, spices, dates (and other dried fruit), honey and hash. When Dawn introduced it to me she said that the only thing missing from the perfume was hash. She also said that on me it doesn't smell as sweet as it does on her other customers. Smells plenty sweet on me! Can't even imagine what a gourmand bomb it would be on someone who smells sweeter than me in their natural state.

But the best laid plan of mice and perfumistas ;-)

Being a fan of gourmands I couldn't but help going down this route, it seems only fitting especially since we're approaching the holiday season - Black Friday is full swing! However, gourmand sweetness can be silent and deadly. I'm prone to getting massive headaches if the sweetness is overwhelming - Tonka Imperiale comes to mind.

I want to switch over to another gourmand but Gourmand Coquin is holding on pretty strong. Aromas of nothing but chocolate brownies.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Speaking of ambers, Ambre Narguille would be perfect for the occasion. The sugary substance and gourmand feel would work wonders with something wooly.
That is a nice warm one!
I actually considered that one at some point. Then I ended up getting other Hermessences. Vanille Galante was the one that finally pushed me over the edge. Definitely not wooly though, so an off topic for this weekend sync ;-)

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I had Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille in mind for the over saturated sweet vanilla. Tihota is sweet but thankfully it doesn't give me headaches .
Un Bois Vanille was o.k. at first but as my bottle aged the burnt sugar note seemed to amplify and finally became too much for me, it was sickly in the end!:(

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
@N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer @CuddleCat
This conversation makes me want to revisit that tiny bit of Angelique Noir I have. I think that one has the best vanilla drydown in the whole wide world - and the opening is pretty unique! When my cat decides that he can get off my lap I will go and find out how well my olfactory memory serves me.
I had a decant of this one at one time, It was really good - it very similar in nature to L'Instant. Very inviting and pleasing to smell.

Have you tried Iris Ganache? This one is iris + vanilla + white chocolate. A delicious scent, not too sweet but enough to get your fix.

Un Bois Vanille was o.k. at first but as my bottle aged the burnt sugar note seemed to amplify and finally became too much for me, it was sickly in the end!:(
For me the drydown develops into something caramel like, perhaps toffee. It skews more gourmand than vanilla. It probably should've been named differently - I get no wood notes in Un Bois Vanille.

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
Vanilla can go either way for me. I do love a good straight up Madagascan or Bourbon vanilla but it can't be too sweet. I want more warmth & "roundness" in the scent...if that makes any sense. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz does wonderful vanillas, IMO.
I never cared for Tihota, actually for most vanilla centric scents.
I do adore Angelique Noir & oddly Les Indes Galantes, neither of which are straight up vanilla but have stunning vanilla-esque dry downs.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I had a decant of this one at one time, It was really good - it very similar in nature to L'Instant. Very inviting and pleasing to smell.

Have you tried Iris Ganache? This one is iris + vanilla + white chocolate. A delicious scent, not too sweet but enough to get your fix.
L'Instant! Oh, L'Instant! I am expecting a bottle of it to arrive at my doorstep on Tuesday and this makes me feel extremely excited.

I don't believe I tried Iris Ganache.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Vanilla can go either way for me. I do love a good straight up Madagascan or Bourbon vanilla but it can't be too sweet. I want more warmth & "roundness" in the scent...if that makes any sense. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz does wonderful vanillas, IMO.
I never cared for Tihota, actually for most vanilla centric scents.
I do adore Angelique Noir & oddly Les Indes Galantes, neither of which are straight up vanilla but have stunning vanilla-esque dry downs.
Same here. There are some vanillas that I don't get along with particularly if they come off plastic-like. I do like vanilla centric scents as well as ones where it plays a supporting role, Mona di Orio Vanille. MDO's take on vanilla has a unconventional approach, it doesn't follow the typical vanilla norm. Spicy and boozy but the vanilla plays a third fiddle in the scent.

There's another one called Shalimar Millesime Vanilla Planifolia - now that is suppose to be a very prominent vanilla scent despite being a Shalimar. I decided order a decant just to know what the fuss is about. That one sold out quickly apparently on Guerlain website but still can be found on ebay.

L'Instant! Oh, L'Instant! I am expecting a bottle of it to arrive at my doorstep on Tuesday and this makes me feel extremely excited.

I don't believe I tried Iris Ganache.
Maybe you can do a comparison between L'Instant and Angelique Noire.

Iris Ganache was discontinued about 10 years but they rereleased it limited quantities I believe.

I forgot to mention Bois d'Arménie is good too. It's a bit incense with benzoin, resins, and woods.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Love the mini discussion about vanilla you guys and girls are having here!
Interestingly, Un bois vanille didn't feel too sweet on me/for me - but maybe it's just because I had a sample that puts out much smaller sprays than a big bottle does, so I got just a little dose of it each time. Actually it's hardly possible for vanilla to overpower me, it's usually the fruity sweetness, sticky honey sweetness or syrupy sweetness that gets me. I wonder if I tolerate/adore the vanilla sweetness that well or it's my skin/nose that doesn't amplify its sweetness too much? What it *does* amplify to high heavens is white florals, that's why I'm cautious of scents where they are the main event going on.

I'm going on with Narciso Rodriguez musks today - wearing Narciso EDT (the black cube, musks, vetiver, cedar and peonies) over For Her body lotion (it smells like EDT, but orange blossom feels more prominent than in the perfume). Lovely combo - but on me it's more floral woody than musky.
Edit: by writing this I decided to add some Musc Noir for Her, too - it's super fluffy. musky, plummy and very very slightly suede-like (because of plum probably).

Last edited:

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Interesting to hear how differently people perceive sweetness. I find Tihota just right for what it is; a straight up sugary vanilla (the best of its kind), but Un Bois Vanille was overwhelmingly sweet, as were some of the Guerlain's discussed. But you guys mentioning L'instant reminds me that I really liked that one when I tried it, even though it was quite perky and fruity, which I normally don't gravitate towards. It's indeed a very pleasant and inviting scent, I should try it again.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
In sync, wearing my ultimate cozy scent - Unknown Pleasures by the House of Kerosene. Its notes are based on London Fog tea: Earl Grey tea, lemon, bergamot, honeycomb, tonka, caramel, vanilla
Ohhh that one sounded sooo good on paper, tea and lemon biscuits, what could possibly go wrong? But when I put it on my skin I got overwhelming and nauseating plasticy coconut. I even emailed the brand to ask if it was possible that they mislabeled the sample, but they said no, and some people apparently just get coconut from this. I'm glad it works for you though.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Ohhh that one sounded sooo good on paper, tea and lemon biscuits, what could possibly go wrong? But when I put it on my skin I got overwhelming and nauseating plasticy coconut. I even emailed the brand to ask if it was possible that they mislabeled the sample, but they said no, and some people apparently just get coconut from this. I'm glad it works for you though.

Too bad that was your experience. For me, Unknown Pleasures was my #1 Most Worn for the year 2020.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Even though I'm a bit sensitive to anything over sweet, I'll go with Guerlain Tonka Imperiale.

If you're not sensitive to sweetness then this will work wonders in something wooly.

375x500.8705.jpg

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
O.K. since the Friday sync thread is staying in this forum, I thought I'd ask here about your thoughts on moving this newer sync thread to the General forum. Yes or No? Any thoughts/comments? Moving it would mean that there would be one sync thread in FFD (Friday Sync), one sync thread in MFD (Fahrenheit Friday) and one sync thread in General (Weekend Sync).

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
O.K. since the Friday sync thread is staying in this forum, I thought I'd ask here about your thoughts on moving this newer sync thread to the General forum. Yes or No? Any thoughts/comments? Moving it would mean that there would be one sync thread in FFD (Friday Sync), one sync thread in MFD (Fahrenheit Friday) and one sync thread in General (Weekend Sync).
I actually quite like this idea. It feels like a great way to spread things out a bit and open this thread up to a slightly wider audience.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013

I like this suggestion of moving the new Weekend Sync from FFD to General. The originator has abandoned it and it is not established and sentimental like some others. It seems to be gaining a following lately so it would be interesting to observe if moving it to General is helpful. Can't hurt, probably.

P.S. Thank you for protecting Tigrushka's Stats thread. Is it deep? No. But I look forward to it every month and have participated in it for years. Let's hear it for the Nerds and Nerdettes! 🤓

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Hmmm, SmokeAndSky has specifically stated that she created this thread in women's forum as she felt it better fits here as she based her Synch choices on her own wardrobe so the themes are more traditionally feminine perfumery based - a month for beachy scents, a month for white flowers, a month for roses and one for spring florals, not much leathers, tobaccos and so on.
The past few months were/are more unisex leaning with smoky, snowy and spooky themes, but the others are less so.

What do you think?
Personally I'm fine either way, but I feel like this particular one could stay here, too. However, if you feel like this belongs in the General, I will not oppose, especially if you think it will get more attention there. 🙂

If we're talking about the next thread that could be started next summer by a successor, then I think it could definitely be started in the general area.
It's a cool thread and I would like to see it thrive and grow.
Maybe someone is already fantasising about volunteering? 🙂

Last edited:

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Hmmm, SmokeAndSky has specifically stated that she created this thread in women's forum as she felt it better fits here as she based her Synch choices on her own wardrobe so the themes are more traditionally feminine perfumery based - a month for beachy scents, a month for white flowers, a month for roses and one for spring florals, not much leathers, tobaccos and so on.
The past few months were/are more unisex leaning with smoky, snowy and spooky themes, but the others are less so.

What do you think?
Personally I'm fine either way, but I feel like this particular one could stay here, too. However, if you feel like this belongs in the General, I will not oppose, especially if you think it will get more attention there. 🙂

If we're talking about the next thread that could be started next summer by a successor, then I think it could definitely be started in the general area.

I find your argument persuasive, ClockworkAlice. Maybe postpone the move until next summer and relaunch with a unisex indie/niche twist? Such dilemmas! 🤔

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

What do you think?

There's a few individuals that I would like to see step up and host next year - both old and new members. That could include maintaining the current one through June.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009

What do you think?

I missed this as it wasn’t mentioned in the first post. This sync finishes at the end of May. It wasn’t that I thought it belonged in General, I just liked the idea of having one sync in each of these forums - FFD, MFD and GFD. What about the idea of starting a Sunday sync in General? We could participate in this one mainly on a Saturday, up until the end of May and have the option of joining in on the GFD sync on a Sunday! Not sure if a mid week sync would work as well? If we did start a sync in GFD would you be happy to volunteer to organise it, ClockworkAlice?:) Or is there anyone else that may like to give it a go!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I missed this as it wasn’t mentioned in the first post. This sync finishes at the end of May. It wasn’t that I thought it belonged in General, I just liked the idea of having one sync in each of these forums - FFD, MFD and GFD. What about the idea of starting a Sunday sync in General? We could participate in this one mainly on a Saturday, up until the end of May and have the option of joining in on the GFD sync on a Sunday! Not sure if a mid week sync would work as well? If we did start a sync in GFD would you be happy to volunteer to organise it, ClockworkAlice?:) Or is there anyone else that may like to give it a go!
I like the weekend format as is - it gives you the option to participate on Saturday, Sunday, or both. ClockworkAlice would be a good choice - one of the individuals I thought of.

I prefer if the sync thread started in January instead of June. Maybe have an 18 month thread to finish 2022-23?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I missed this as it wasn’t mentioned in the first post. This sync finishes at the end of May. It wasn’t that I thought it belonged in General, I just liked the idea of having one sync in each of these forums - FFD, MFD and GFD. What about the idea of starting a Sunday sync in General? We could participate in this one mainly on a Saturday, up until the end of May and have the option of joining in on the GFD sync on a Sunday!
Hmmmm, in this case I'd rather just move this one (I think SmokeAndSky wouldn't object to this, I just remember her mentioning why she chose to start her thread here; but on the other hand, there are many manly roses for this to fit into General, too). I feel like three different threads for Friday, Weekend and Sunday would probably be too much.
I don't know how about you, but I personally approach this thread in a very laid back way - if I don't feel like synching on Saturday, I will synch only on Sunday and so on. I kind of like this freedom.
Not sure if a mid week sync would work as well? If we did start a sync in GFD would you be happy to volunteer to organise it, ClockworkAlice?:)

I'm flattered by your offer, but I think others would like to shine a bit, too? I don't want to usurp everything (well, maybe I'd love to, but I don't think it would be right :D). So many of you are very enthusiastic about this thread, too - you, Earlyn, Warum, teardrop, Trilby and so many others (I'm sorry if I don't mention some of you - it does not mean you're not among the candidates in my head! I'm just writing very hastily). If nobody wants to do this, I could take over this thread, too, when the time comes, but I don't believe that no one would want to try it out, too. You dears have so many ideas!

The weekend synch can take many forms, but I actually would like to give a full freedom for the future host of this one - just like SmokeAndSky did this however she pleased to fit her own needs and wardrobe, so can the new host - thus if we rotate the hosts yearly for this one we could have wildly different weekend synchs every year :)
That's how I see it. But maybe you have better ideas? We still have half a year to go!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Hmmmm, in this case I'd rather just move this one (I think SmokeAndSky wouldn't object to this, I just remember her mentioning why she chose to start her thread here; but on the other hand, there are many manly roses for this to fit into General, too). I feel like three different threads for Friday, Weekend and Sunday would probably be too much.
I don't know how about you, but I personally approach this thread in a very laid back way - if I don't feel like synching on Saturday, I will synch only on Sunday and so on. I kind of like this freedom.

I'm flattered by your offer, but I think others would like to shine a bit, too? I don't want to usurp everything (well, maybe I'd love to, but I don't think it would be right :D). So many of you are very enthusiastic about this thread, too - you, Earlyn, Warum, teardrop, Trilby and so many others (I'm sorry if I don't mention some of you - it does not mean you're not among the candidates in my head! I'm just writing very hastily). If nobody wants to do this, I could take over this thread, too, when the time comes, but I don't believe that no one would want to try it out, too. You dears have so many ideas!

The weekend synch can take many forms, but I actually would like to give a full freedom for the future host of this one - just like SmokeAndSky did this however she pleased to fit her own needs and wardrobe, so can the new host - thus if we rotate the hosts yearly for this one we could have wildly different weekend synchs every year :)
That's how I see it. But maybe you have better ideas? We still have half a year to go!
Having three syncs would be too much. We tried a theme week, the entire week, several years ago but it got quite exhausting and most ended up not participating after a while. I think 2-3 days of syncing between the two syncs is a nice sweet spot.

Earlyn and Warum would be good choices as well, also names I had in mind.

Latest News