Weekend Perfume Sync June through June

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Welcome to the Weekend Synch, Andy!

This morning I'm starting with Karma by Lush - oranges, patchouli, smoke (and secretly started the Synch yesterday morning with Breath of God by Lush - marine-woody-smoky-melon-gods know what else) - both very smoky scents on my skin. I only have solids so I'm not sure if spray versions retain that smokiness.

Not sure what I'm going to wear later but since I'm slightly tired from all the opulence I'm thinking about a light smoky citrus later today: Molinard's Citrus Noir. Citruses, incense and a bit of woods, and a bit of that smoked lemon impression.

Tomorrow I might put on some Bvlgari Black (vanilla, incense, smoked tea, sweetened asphalt and tires) but we'll see. :)

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Wood fire! Smoke! Glowing embers! I am feeling this week's theme so much. I just got back from a too long stint abroad and am so happy to be home, bring on the cozy warm scents.

Today I am wearing Areej le Doree's Russian Oud, a scent that smells like curling up on a rug slightly too close to the fireplace, basking in the orange red glow of the fire, while drinking a peppery hot chocolate so thick and rich that the spoon stands up straight. I love this discontinued scent so much and I am unfortunately down to the last ml in my tiny 5 ml decant. When I finish this I will probably never be able to find anything quite like it ever again. Luckily it's strong as hell (and getting stronger by the month) so a tiny drop will do me nicely. I am typing this while sitting next to a burning Diptyque Feu de Bois candle, so the whole house smells theme appropriate. Now I'm going to pester my husband into wearing Hiram Green's Hyde so he'll blend in.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Joining the Smoke Sync in the original La Fumée by Miller Harris. Not the boldest smoke smell you'll ever encounter (you have to wander through quite a lot of cardamom, cumin, and coriander to get to the bonfire), but it suits me right down to the ground. Interestingly, I found the "Intense" version of this completely unwearable, due to its thick resins.

It occurred to me after applying this that I could have worn my decant of Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors, a big, bold smokey vanilla fireplace scent that I quite enjoy. I might do that this evening, since the Fumée, being a Miller Harris, will certainly be gone within a few hours.

miller-harris-la-fumee-edp-vapo-100ml.png

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Starting my Saturday sync with an obvious choice -
Miller Harris La Fumee
Edit-
@Cookbot I see you got there before me, and I thought I was being so clever.

You were being clever. You just weren't alone. :)

Last night, I literally sat for hours at a bonfire wearing Baptême du Feu. Perfect, isn't it?

Don't you just love the way your clothes smell after you're at a campfire? I do. Unfortunately I hate camping. I guess I should figure a way to have a campire outside my back door.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Well, it's me being me again. I wore two really smoky fragrances - Jazz Club Replica and Fumerie Turque before the weekend started. And when the weekend rolled in I did not want to come back to either of these two.

So I was half-in-sync today, Rogue Derviche on my left wrist and Ishtar on my right. So far I wore Ishtar only once and it reminded me of cigarette smoke (some incenses do that on me). I did not mind terribly so I braved it again. The opening lily was beautiful and abstract, and when the incense entered that floral opening it was clear, full, and rounded like church bells in the cold air. I really enjoyed that entrance and I can see wearing Ishtar again to see if this can be replicated. For a reference, today was really rainy. Then gradually incense took over everything and while my perception mercifully did not go into the cigarette smoke territory I felt that the incense was quite smoky. I need more time with Ishtar. I may wear her again tomorrow or...

I could have worn my decant of Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors, a big, bold smokey vanilla fireplace scent that I quite enjoy. I
...or perhaps @Cook.bot just gave me a good idea!

...or who am I kidding, I have no idea what I'll wear tomorrow. We'll see. Stay fragrant, my smoky synching friends.

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Well, it's me being me again. I wore two really smoky fragrances - Jazz Club Replica and Fumerie Turque before the weekend started. And when the weekend rolled in I did not want to come back to either of these two.

So I was half-in-sync today, Rogue Derviche on my left wrist and Ishtar on my right. So far I wore Ishtar only once and it reminded me of cigarette smoke (some incenses do that on me). I did not mind terribly so I braved it again. The opening lily was beautiful and abstract, and when the incense entered that floral opening it was clear, full, and rounded like a church bells in the cold air. I really enjoyed that entrance and I can see wearing Ishtar again to see if this can be replicated. For a reference, today was really rainy. Then gradually incense took over everything and while my perception mercifully did not go into the cigarette smoke territory I felt that the incense was quite smoky. I need more time with Ishtar. I may wear her again tomorrow or...

Own a bottle of Derviche myself, a sweet tobacco scent.

Ishtar on me, I never really got a smokey or incense vibe from it. I thought it was going to get a church like vibe similar to Creed Angelique Encens but nope.

Tomorrow it will be Mona di Orio Vanille

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Own a bottle of Derviche myself, a sweet tobacco scent.
I just wrote about Derviche in the Sample of the Day thread. My first wearing must've been very cursory because what I remember most is citruses and amber. I need another wearing of this, a full wearing, and I can see a bottle in my future - this one is such a well made and such a happy scent.
Ishtar on me, I never really got a smokey or incense vibe from it. I thought it was going to get a church like vibe similar to Creed Angelique Encens but nope.
What does it smell like on you?
(time to read the Rogue sample pass thread, I guess).

As for smoke, have you smelled Tabac Tabou? One time I wore a tiny dab of it it to a dance (big, BIG mistake) and all of a sudden I realize that someone smells like cigarette smoke. To my shock and horror is was my tiny dab of Tabac Tabou, warmed up after a couple of swing dances. I was mortified! So either this is my perception or my skin does something with certain types of fragrances.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I just wrote about Derviche in the Sample of the Day thread. My first wearing must've been very cursory because what I remember most is citruses and amber. I need another wearing of this, a full wearing, and I can see a bottle in my future - this one is such a well made and such a happy scent.

What does it smell like on you?
(time to read the Rogue sample pass thread, I guess).

As for smoke, have you smelled Tabac Tabou? One time I wore a tiny dab of it it to a dance (big, BIG mistake) and all of a sudden I realize that someone smells like cigarette smoke. To my shock and horror is was my tiny dab of Tabac Tabou, warmed up after a couple of swing dances. I was mortified! So either this is my perception or my skin does something with certain types of fragrances.
You're certainly right about the amber in Derviche, very sugary like. I also picked up on jasmine florals early one. The base was, tobacco, woods and vanilla. I'll have to spray some on jog my memory better.

Ishtar had a fresh opening, frankincense I believe, with some florals that followed shortly after. I don't recall picking up any incense, if there was any it was very subtle. I recalled the base consisted of vanilla/benzoin and woods.

Derviche and Ishtar are in my reviews.

I've never smelled Tabac Tabou but from your I probably wouldn't like it. Did it smell like an ash tray?

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
You're certainly right about the amber in Derviche, very sugary like. I also picked up on jasmine florals early one. The base was, tobacco, woods and vanilla. I'll have to spray some on jog my memory better.
I have to give it a full wearing too. I missed the transition between citruses and amber on my busy work day.
Ishtar had a fresh opening, frankincense I believe, with some florals that followed shortly after. I don't recall picking up any incense, if there was any it was very subtle. I recalled the base consisted of vanilla/benzoin and woods.
I read the reviews in the pass (only Ishtar reviews). What surprised me most was how divided people who participated in the sample pass were about "clean/not clean." I would describe the incense entrance as clean, but then I did not consider Ishtar clean at all. She's a bad ass. Which makes sense to me given my understanding of Ishtar. I feel a lot of oakmoss in the base.
I've never smelled Tabac Tabou but from your I probably wouldn't like it. Did it smell like an ash tray?
Well, not quite - but the feeling that someone went out and smoked was unmistakable. But it did not smell like that to me (or on me) until I got really warmed up. I loved that fragrance. If I dig out the sample and wear again I will be able to say more.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
You must try it, it's a completely unique vanilla experience. Even though it's falls into the classification of vanilla - it really isn't a vanilla scent at all.
It is great, isn't it? I am synching with you today. I'd say this is a rich, smoky, leathery vanilla, like the tough, chewy, aged vanilla pods that house the glorious stuff. It is sweet only by suggestion.

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
Whenever I wear a fragrance with "smoky" attached to the description, my body chemistry does a very weird thing. I get smoke, lots & lots of smoke & that's all, nothing else, nada. For that reason I do not wear scents that do this. I pass them on to my husband & enjoy them from a distance. He's wearing Le Lion today & I'm enjoying it.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
On to warm woolly things, I'm curious to see what you all come up with! I have 2 options that immediately come to mind. The first is my smooth-as-butter-cashmere-sweater-still-warm-from-a-lover's-body scent: Chanel 31 Rue Cambon EdT. The second one is more of a cozy chunky knit, or a fuzzy blanket: Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
To me "wooly warm things" are associated with musks, especially Narciso Rodriguez musks, they're so fluffy and soft and human - like slightly worn sweaters or scarves to my nose; or like my cat's fur a bit. I have plenty of those and will wear them through the weekend :)
I agree with you on the musks! I personally can't get along with the Narcisso scents, but I imagine if they work for you they are perfect for this week. 'Human' is indeed the aspect of Rue Cambon that makes me say it feels like a sweater still warm from a lover's body. I think I also associate a certain kind of patchouli with warm woolly things, as both RC and L'Ombre Fauve have this in spades. L'Ombre Fauve is one I tried because people said it reminded them of cat fur, which is one of my most favourite smells in the world!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm starting my weekend with a sample of Essence Eau de Musk by Narciso Rodriguez - a very light and clean musk and I enjoy it today. I think it's long discontinued but as it's quite a simple musk compared to other NR scents there's no need to chase it if you want some - Jovan and Body Shop have plenty of very affordable musks, and Kiehl's Musk also has a lot of fans, too, and I'm sure there are a lot of other nice options.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Today I'm joining the Warm 'n Wooly Sync in a true oddball from a house full of oddballs, Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It captures the scent of lanolin, the smell of a thickly-cabled Aran Isles sweater that still has the water-repellant properties of the original owner of its wool.

We don't hear much chatter about the MPG house any more, but when I first joined Basenotes they were a popular topic. Interest seemed to wane around the time they switched from the red bottles to the clear ones.

maitre-parfumeur-et-gantier-parfum-dhabit-eau-de-toilette-per-uomo___13.jpg

2987784488_5c82760e43.jpg

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I haven't heard of Maitre Parfumeur before, thanks for sharing, Cook.bot :)
There are so many interesting houses and scents, and only one nose... overwhelming!

I'm topping up the Essence Eau de Musc with my tried and true favourite - Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT. It was one of my first finds when I started being seriously interested in fragrances. It was a love at first sniff and it still is a love. I can see NR scents not working for everyone - we all perceive musks slightly differently and can be anosmic or hyperosmic to different ones, and NR uses a lot of synthetics that might not sit well with everyone (well, duh, nobody's actually catching poor deer and extracting their precious glands anymore, save for several madmen in the depths of Russia or China maybe, and dear Deer god, I'm thankful for it). But for me this one is just the fluffiest, softest, dreamiest and purest thing on my skin. Although the bottle is nicely black, its contents smell white to me.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Today I'm joining the Warm 'n Wooly Sync in a true oddball from a house full of oddballs, Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It captures the scent of lanolin, the smell of a thickly-cabled Aran Isles sweater that still has the water-shedding properties of the original owner of its wool.

We don't hear much chatter about the MPG house any more, but when I first joined Basenotes they were a popular topic. Interest seemed to wane around the time they switched from the red bottles to the clear ones.

A lanolin note - very interesting. My associations go to A & D ointment and Lansinoh. Sadly, I’ve not owned a nice wool cable knit.
I’m joining you in wool. Your in your sweater and me in my jacket.
Vintage Tweed Cologne
What makes a girl the Tweed type?
When she is a lamb but not one of the flock!
53932F42-D1C0-4891-AE8A-AD33F2C14D57.jpeg
52EDD9C2-5940-410B-AB31-49B589A4358C.jpeg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Today I'm joining the Warm 'n Wooly Sync in a true oddball from a house full of oddballs, Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It captures the scent of lanolin, the smell of a thickly-cabled Aran Isles sweater that still has the water-repellant properties of the original owner of its wool.

2987784488_5c82760e43.jpg
MPG caught my attention with this beauty! Ambre Sultan is one approach to amazing amber. This is another!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Latest News