Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Synced again with Chanel No 19 EDT
il_1588xN.3268161033_qer5.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Excellent theme choice, wish I'd thought of that.

I honestly couldn't think of anything in my cabinet with frosty connotations, apart from No. 19, and I just wasn't up for wearing that. It's already cold enough outside!
I'm feeling the same today! I'm going wide and will pick a warming scent to ward off the frost bite, something resinous I think will do. Tolu by Ormonde Jayne I think.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Arabian Horse 3.1 by Pierre Guillaume

This scent makes liars out of all other perfumes that call themselves "animalic". It really, truly, smells like a horse: from the furry musk of its pelt and mane, the grass it grazes on, the leather of its riding accessories, the raw wood of its barn, to the hay it eats (and some of the hay that it expels, as well). But instead of being just an environmental novelty that you wouldn't want to wear, it functions as genuine perfume, with a green start, to a stemmy narcissus floral heart, and that leather drydown quite similar to Chanel's Cuir de Russie and some castoreum-like musk.

It's quite an achievement, and well worth a sniff for any scent aficionado. I have a nice fat decant thanks to @purecaramel that will probably last me a good long time, since it's not exactly a daily wear, but is a real joy when you want your perfume to amuse you at home.

ArabianHorse.3.1.PierreGuillaume.jpg

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I'm going with Chanel Antaeus
View attachment 312809
I'm curious, do you find this Chanel animalic? Maybe my view on this scent is warped because my dad wore it for many years, but to me it's comforting, cozy scent. This may also have to do with the fact that he wore it between 2000 and 2020, so it was probably not in its full 80s glory.

Unfortunately my decant/split of Slumberhouse New Sibet is down to the "reminder" drop, so I'm going to default to...
View attachment 312873
I love this scent so much, it really is something else! My husband wears it full on, it's marvellous on him. I can only get away with wearing it as light as I can go, a spray-in-the-air-and-walk-through-the-mist-application, if you will, and still I smell of horse hide and camp fire for days.

There is one scent that's the closest to kitty fur to me - and that is the original Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT in the black bottle.
Synching with it today, both body cream and EDT.

The musks in other versions also do remind me the kitty fur, but this one is the closest to me.
I am always looking for kitty fur scents, but unfortunately the Narcisso musks are not for me. I do love them on others though.

Arabian Horse 3.1 by Pierre Guillaume

This scent makes liars out of all other perfumes that call themselves "animalic". It really, truly, smells like a horse: from the furry musk of its pelt and mane, the grass it grazes on, the leather of its riding accessories, the raw wood of its barn, to the hay it eats (and some of the hay that it expels, as well). But instead of being just an environmental novelty that you wouldn't want to wear, it functions as genuine perfume, with a green start, to a stemmy narcissus floral heart, and that leather drydown quite similar to Chanel's Cuir de Russie and some castoreum-like musk.

It's quite an achievement, and well worth a sniff for any scent aficionado. I have a nice fat decant thanks to @purecaramel that will probably last me a good long time, since it's not exactly a daily wear, but is a real joy when you want your perfume to amuse you at home.

View attachment 312867
Aaaand this is going straight on my test list, what an enticing description!

I am going with another scent from this house, the cozy L'Ombre Fauve, a deeply musky vanilla/patchouli number.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
This weekend it's time for booze:
December 10 & 11Mulled wineWarm your hands and your heart with some gluhwein (or a very large cocktail of your choosing)

I am having the worst cold in years, so I can use a drink! I am dreaming of something strong and comforting like an old fashioned, but I don't have anything in the house and I can't bring myself to go outside in this state. So a perfume will have to do, but I don't have that many really boozy perfumes. Mona Di Oria's Vanille comes closest and it's nice and comforting so I'll go with that.

What's your poison?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Today I'm wearing a virgin vodka-orange juice (namely, just orange/mandarin juice) in Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic as I'm tending a sick boyfriend and didn't want to smell of anything heady, sweet or heavy, and boozy fragrances tend to be all of these things.

So not really synching, but yesterday evening I tried Mercedes-Benz Club Black (boozy slightly woody vanilla) and retried Margiela's By the Fireplace (sweetly woody, nutty, boozy aroma).
However, By the Fireplace did last more than 12 hours on my arm and I was still enjoying it all morning until I showered at noon. So we can count it as synching, right?

Sadly, although I do own several boozy fragrances (boozy vanillas Lalique Le Parfum and Eau de Cologne des Missions by Le Couvent Maison and spiked coffee of YSL Black Opium Intense), I don't think I have anything that resembles hot wine. I wish - I love the smell!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
@ClockworkAlice doe you know of a fragrance with a mulled wine accord? I think that would be great. I got my husband to go to the store and get some ingredients, so I am now enjoying my old fashioned.
There's this fragrance Red Wine Brown Sugar by Bohoboco that I tried a sample of, but honestly I hated how it smelled. 😀 I wrote a negative review about it. But I'm not sure now, maybe my sample was spoiled.

There are many fragrances that use spices used in hot wine - cinnamon, clove, star anise, allspice + of course orange or tangerine, but they lack the wine accord. I don't know, something with grapes and dark roses could possibly add to it?
Serge Lutens' La fille de Berlin has something in it that reminds me of red wine a bit, too.

As for dry white wine, quite a lot of modern chypre fragrances remind me of it, namely Cartier La Panthere and Coco Mademoiselle EDT. There's just something so dry and wine like about them to me.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
There are many fragrances that use spices used in hot wine - cinnamon, clove, star anise, allspice + of course orange or tangerine, but they lack the wine accord. I don't know, something with grapes and dark roses could possibly add to it?

Probably Parfum d"Empire's wine-based scent Salute! would be perfect, if you layered it with a spice scent. Unfortunately I don't have any of it.

I'm stumped this week, and will probably be even more stumped next week. What the heck are we supposed to do with Die Hard??

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
@Cook.bot oh so many ways to go with that one! Christmas trees, gun powder, blood, bad German accents... I am so watching that movie again

Didn't printer paper figure prominently in that movie too? I guess I could watch it again to find out, but all those years ago I thought that once was more than enough. (Even though I love Alan Rickman.)

I never noticed a white wine note in any fragrance, how interesting! I'll be sniffing the ones you mention with interest once my sinuses clear.

I think I know what Alice means -- some classic aldehydic chypres have the "sensation" of a white wine, more than the actual smell of one. Some of the crisper, less oaky white wines, like riesling or zinfandel or pinot gris.

filledoux

Nov 26, 2021
I decided to wear Poison today. I just got grape juice, not mulled wine 😆

I will be honest- this bottle sat in my drawer for 16 years. It was gifted to me by my mother in law who always wore loud perfumes. I took a deep breath and said I will not “judge it” just yet from memory, and told myself I can just scrub it off. 😆

I thought of Poison as intimidating before. maybe it’s just my perception of the gift giver influencing my idea of how the perfume would be on my skin.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I decided to wear Poison today. I just got grape juice, not mulled wine 😆

I will be honest- this bottle sat in my drawer for 16 years. It was gifted to me by my mother in law who always wore loud perfumes. I took a deep breath and said I will not “judge it” just yet from memory, and told myself I can just scrub it off. 😆

I thought of Poison as intimidating before. maybe it’s just my perception of the gift giver influencing my idea of how the perfume would be on my skin.
I kinda like Poison, but I also get grape juice sensation from it 😀 While I get grape Skittles from Alien... Must be something about that jasmine!

When I tried Poison, I concluded that it's a beautiful scent but I'll never be a woman enough to wear it. There's something so diva about it that I just cannot carry.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Yet again a great sync idea, matched by quite a few impressive sync choices. Considering to join in with some of the most obvious options like Eau des Baux, a Burberry London sample or Chergui.
But also not excluding the idea that mulled wine-Glühwein might have besides boozy tones also some tobacco, fruity and/or further spicy notes, thus making the choice to be settled with at once both more permissive but paradoxical (or not) also more challenging, intricate, demanding (luckily in an overwhelmingly positive way) to select.

filledoux

Nov 26, 2021
I kinda like Poison, but I also get grape juice sensation from it 😀 While I get grape Skittles from Alien... Must be something about that jasmine!

When I tried Poison, I concluded that it's a beautiful scent but I'll never be a woman enough to wear it. There's something so diva about it that I just cannot carry.
You nailed it right- DIVA! like a coiffed madame. Grape juice and all 😆 Yes I’m not woman enough for it. It takes some Miranda Priestly sized balls.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
@ClockworkAlice doe you know of a fragrance with a mulled wine accord? I think that would be great. I got my husband to go to the store and get some ingredients, so I am now enjoying my old fashioned.
There's also this American indie creator that goes by the name Pineward Perfumes whose creations (all centered around piney fragrances which he is a big fan of) I'm actually really interested in trying some day, but I'm not sure it's easy to do in Europe without the huge shipping price.
Sooo, he has this perfume Christmas Wine which is a limited edition but as I recall he actually repeats it every year around Christmas. I obviously haven't tried it, but I guess that one might get that hot mulled wine scent!

I also just did a search for wine in BN directory and got this.

Also - not a mulled wine, but I have tested this https://basenotes.com/fragrances/rose-all-dae-by-gallagher-fragrances.26161285 and I really enjoyed it, a very fun scent on Rosé theme.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
@Cook.bot oh so many ways to go with that one! Christmas trees, gun powder, blood, bad German accents... I am so watching that movie again

Still baffled for scents to accompany this weekend's John McClane/Die Hard theme, I started Googling for ideas and....

O....M...G.... There's a whole John McClane Christmas ornaments faction on Etsy!
JohnMcClaneOrnaments.jpg

Killed a whole hour for me, but I still didn't come up with any perfume ideas. Maybe I should just watch the damned movie tonight.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...