Weekend Perfume Sync June 2022 through June 2023

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
My Friday sync scent, Midnight Amber Glow, by B&BW, would have been great for this sync, too, but now I've switched to their new fall "masculine" Coffee & Whiskey, which is perhaps some kind of tropical harvest plus moonshine, but that's all a bit of a stretch.

It's a great scent, and I'll review it later, but for now, I'll just say that it fits the name quite well.

View attachment 294743
I've heard about B&BW Coffee & Whiskey. I haven't made any visits to B&BW in many months but the reviews on it is pretty good both the candle and the bath products.

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Syncing with Dior Dolce Vita. I love the scent but this particular bottle smelled really off when I got it (turd from Mercari). I am clearing out the tube and wearing it hoping it is ok. I think it smells a little off but very much improved. This is one I would wear but only if I had a bit of time before going out.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This weekend's sync has me a bit flummoxed. I've never really thought about matching my perfume to my clothing or makeup.
Me neither, but since it's a weekend and I'm slightly under the weather, I guess I need a perfume that matches leggings, woolen socks, unkempt hair, no make up and a sweater.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I say we can improvise still!
To me Chanel associates with "the impeccable", so pretty much everyone here has something. :)

For my unkempt morning I chose a solid from Lush - and not even in an original packaging, as it's a SAMPLE, or, as it's quite a lot of stuff, rather a DECANT of their solid perfume "Shade" with most prominent notes of sandalwood and olibanum, very cozy and homey scent, I feel it complements my cozy and homey outfit today!;)

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Yes!! Fashion time!

I don't always think about my outfit when picking a perfume, but often the outfit of the day and the perfume of the day have a similar vibe, the perfume being the cherry on top of the look. For example, some days I want to feel sleek and sophisticated, so I pair a black turtleneck & slacks combo with something like Ormonde Woman. I also like to go against my outfit sometimes, pairing a tatty t shirt and jeans with, say, a good helping of Amouage Gold and some bright red lipstick.

Right now we are having some lovely but cold autumn weather, perfect for smooth cashmere jumpers, which go perfectly with Chanel's 31 Rue Cambon. This is one of my favourite scents in the world because it manages to be very chique in that typical Chanel way, while also having an intimacy that reminds me of the warmth of a lover's body.

I say we can improvise still!
To me Chanel associates with "the impeccable", so pretty much everyone here has something. :)

For my unkempt morning I chose a solid from Lush - and not even in an original packaging, as it's a SAMPLE, or, as it's quite a lot of stuff, rather a DECANT of their solid perfume "Shade" with most prominent notes of sandalwood and olibanum, very cozy and homey scent, I feel it complements my cozy and homey outfit today!;)
Excellent work! Sometimes you just need to cuddle up in a cocoon, right?

I suppose I could reenact this with a Chanel Platinum Egoiste
May we request pictorial evidence of said reenactment??;)

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Considering to join the sartorial sync either with the eponymous Penhaligon's fragrance do already own or with some other classic that goes well with almost any outfit (ideally equally classic ones), at almost any age and for almost ant occasion through the entire year.
Adding that last special something to almost any other aspect of personal style.

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Me neither, but since it's a weekend and I'm slightly under the weather, I guess I need a perfume that matches leggings, woolen socks, unkempt hair, no make up and a sweater.
Hope you feel better. I will end up wearing a new scent because I pretty much always like fancy perfume contrasted with lounge clothes and no makeup.

Went with Tuvache Reverie. Guess if the picture on the bottle involves lounging people, I can too!
Tuvahe Reverie.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I only dress up when required to do so, and my "perfect" wardrobe selection depends mostly on fit, quality, and utility. I try to look reasonably nice and tend toward garments with good materials and cut, but don't aim to make a statement with my clothing choices.

My attire typically consists of nice fitting jeans or shorts and a slim fitting fitting, usually plain, t-shirt or quarter zip long sleeve shirt (sometimes a nice flannel), depending on the weather. If I need to spice it up, a polo shirt in summer or a nice cashmere sweater in winter. That is my uniform, accounting for at least 90% of my clothes-wearing.

So, what does that mean for fragrance? I'm wearing YSL Live Jazz.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
My idea of dress-up is a really great menswear-style suit. In fact, for a cis-hetero woman, I probably own more menswear than any other woman you know. I really love the textiles used in menswear. This is my favorite suit that Karl Lagerfeld ever designed for Chanel:

ChanelSuitInTheSnow2019_LastLagerfeldShow.jpg

I don't own it, but I sure wish to hell I did, hat and all..

For women wearing menswear, I think you either have to go with an ultra-feminine perfume (almost none of which I own), or choose one that is completely sexless, so that anyone who smelled you before they saw you could never guess what gender you were. To that end, I'm adorning my imaginary Chanel suit today with L'Air du Desert Marocain.

26125572-883-j

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
My attire typically consists of nice fitting jeans or shorts and a slim fitting fitting, usually plain, t-shirt or quarter zip long sleeve shirt (sometimes a nice flannel), depending on the weather.

I predicted that you'd go with skiwear! And a big smoky wintry frag.

So, what does that mean for fragrance? I'm wearing YSL Live Jazz.

Ha! Shocker.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I predicted that you'd go with skiwear! And a big smoky wintry frag.
The thought crossed my mind! I am typically pretty happy whenever I’m geared up - whether for skiing or mountain biking. But after all these years, I still haven’t fully dialed in what scent matches those activities/outfits. I don’t really associate skiing with smoky scents, but maybe scents that feel “cold”. Slumberhouse Grev later, maybe.

For mountain biking, Yatagan comes to mind for some reason. Dust, trees, sweat…it sort of recalls those things.

sakecat

Sep 3, 2022
This sounds intriguing @sakecat , I can't seem to find much information about this scent, what's your take on it? The note pyramid is poetic to say the least: 'pale skin musk' and 'faded perfume'...
The scent is linear. What's in the bottle is what shows up on the skin with no change for the duration.

The foundation smells like a clean musk aromachemical - akin to dryer sheets.
I pulled one of my dryer sheets out of the laundry room to check. Yup - same thing. :)

On that, they layered what smells to my nose like nag champa, an herbal amber blend, a healthy slug of extra indolic jasmine, vanilla, and patchouli.

They were going for the vibe of "This is the sweater I wear in my house where I burn nag champa 24/7 and wear an "egyptian musk" oil from the head shop down the street. I just pulled this out of the laundry." For me, it's quite evocative of my college years in the late 80s / early 90s.

I purchased my bottle around 2014 and it's still practically full.
Wearing it recently, I found myself getting slightly nauseated.
I typically struggle with "clean" and "laundry" musks - so I suspect that's the reason I never wore it.
That and I own more perfume oils than I can wear in a lifetime...

Hope this helps.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Thanks @sakecat ! I don't vibe with laundry musks very much, so I'll steer clear of this, but I still like the concept.

This weekend's theme is nice and broad: Into the woods...

What takes you there, literally or figuratively? What smells like fairy tail forrest to you? What's your best woody scent?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks @sakecat ! I don't vibe with laundry musks very much, so I'll steer clear of this, but I still like the concept.

This weekend's theme is nice and broad: Into the woods...

What takes you there, literally or figuratively? What smells like fairy tail forrest to you? What's your best woody scent?
I suppose a nice woody scent would do. In addition, something mossy could work, I could also consider eucalyptus, pines, and resins.

That being I'd have to reach for Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee
375x500.53821.jpg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
My cat woke me up early today so I got out of bed to brush my teeth and make some coffee and started thinking about this synch.

I concluded that smelling like wood and smelling like woods are two different things and I have more fragrances of the former. All my sandalwoods and my cedars smell like sawmills, like tables, like pencil shavings etc but not like a full forest. If I want a forest experience, I have to turn either to oldschool chypres or to my rose-patchoulis. I don't know what it is about rose-patchouli scents and my nose, but they all remind me of big dark woods, I'm sure I can smell something dark green in them too.

For now I have applied some Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens from a sample because I wanted something cozy and slightly sweet for an early Saturday morning. This is from the woody, and not foresty category, and I could choose another sandalwood here too - maybe Guerlain Samsara or Lush Smuggler's Soul, or maybe something more gourmand woody like Bois Dore by Van Cleef and Arpels or Ebony Wood by Zara. My most evocative woody scent is Woodcut by Olympic Orchids, and there's just one drop left in my sample - it could be a good idea to just finish it today if I dare to. I'll get a bottle of it some day I think - when I'm ready for a transatlantic purchase.

As for deep dark woods (and damp sunlit forests) my choices could be either rose patchoulis - Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour femme (a very blackberry forward scent, too!), Smyrna by Le Couvent des Minimes, Rose & Magnolia Cologne by Jo Malone (ok this is not a patchouli I think, but it has that dark greenery that reminds me of forests!) or a sample of the beautiful and dark Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d'Orange. (A sample of Van Cleef and Arpels Moonlight Patchouli could also fit but it's more leathery than woody to me).
As for chypres for a damp and sunlit forest there is Mitsouko EDT that I wore yesterday and Gres Cabochard that I don't want to wear today.

I might be forgetting something? Oh, for an "enchanted forest" I could bring one of my self-named fairycore scents, maybe Mon Eau by Lolita Lempicka which is a quieter, shyer, more herbal-aromatic descendant of Lolita Lempicka.

If I had a sample or a bottle or something of Mechant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur I would wear that - because what is a forest without some big bad wolf?
Or maybe I should use my imagination to find my most Red Cap or Snow White scent.
Or something a forest pixie would wear, back to fairycore.

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
This morning mood was tropical "woods" in Borneo 1834 by SL. It reminded me of a trip to Penang, Malaysia, close to 11 years ago. I went to a spice garden in Penang, which for some part looked rather sad, with plants picked bare or in bad shape, barren earth in a few places, but patchouli plant was vibrant and lush, with incredible earthy smell, simultaneously uplifting and grounding. Later I wandered to a cocoa plant and a small installation about cocoa processing. All this combined with lush, humid air of jungle, intoxicating scent of ylang ylang flowers I found in the spice garden, slightly damp skin, heat, and butterflies fluttering around decaying fruit - Borneo 1834 always comes to mind when I think of this trip to Penang.

Later in the day I continued tropical woods mood with Mango Skin by Vilhelm Parfumerie. Lush juicy mango, frangipani, ambra and musk take me back to tropics. The scent itself is nothing new, but it was fun to sample a few new fragrances while running errands, dropping into the mall and picking up a few cans on crushed tomatoes at a local supermarket. Just another Saturday.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I suppose a nice woody scent would do. In addition, something mossy could work, I could also consider eucalyptus, pines, and resins.

That being I'd have to reach for Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee
375x500.53821.jpg
Ah, yes, Mousse Illuminee has that mulch forrest floor vibe, lovely!
My cat woke me up early today so I got out of bed to brush my teeth and make some coffee and started thinking about this synch.

I concluded that smelling like wood and smelling like woods are two different things and I have more fragrances of the former. All my sandalwoods and my cedars smell like sawmills, like tables, like pencil shavings etc but not like a full forest. If I want a forest experience, I have to turn either to oldschool chypres or to my rose-patchoulis. I don't know what it is about rose-patchouli scents and my nose, but they all remind me of big dark woods, I'm sure I can smell something dark green in them too.

For now I have applied some Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens from a sample because I wanted something cozy and slightly sweet for an early Saturday morning. This is from the woody, and not foresty category, and I could choose another sandalwood here too - maybe Guerlain Samsara or Lush Smuggler's Soul, or maybe something more gourmand woody like Bois Dore by Van Cleef and Arpels or Ebony Wood by Zara. My most evocative woody scent is Woodcut by Olympic Orchids, and there's just one drop left in my sample - it could be a good idea to just finish it today if I dare to. I'll get a bottle of it some day I think - when I'm ready for a transatlantic purchase.

As for deep dark woods (and damp sunlit forests) my choices could be either rose patchoulis - Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour femme (a very blackberry forward scent, too!), Smyrna by Le Couvent des Minimes, Rose & Magnolia Cologne by Jo Malone (ok this is not a patchouli I think, but it has that dark greenery that reminds me of forests!) or a sample of the beautiful and dark Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d'Orange. (A sample of Van Cleef and Arpels Moonlight Patchouli could also fit but it's more leathery than woody to me).
As for chypres for a damp and sunlit forest there is Mitsouko EDT that I wore yesterday and Gres Cabochard that I don't want to wear today.

I might be forgetting something? Oh, for an "enchanted forest" I could bring one of my self-named fairycore scents, maybe Mon Eau by Lolita Lempicka which is a quieter, shyer, more herbal-aromatic descendant of Lolita Lempicka.

If I had a sample or a bottle or something of Mechant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur I would wear that - because what is a forest without some big bad wolf?
Or maybe I should use my imagination to find my most Red Cap or Snow White scent.
Or something a forest pixie would wear, back to fairycore.

Quite the selection, I like the creativity! I also immediately thought of Lempicka for the enchanted forrest interpretation of the theme, that brand really has their niche, right?

Fun fact, after we remodelled the house we moved the bedroom up to the top floor and now my cat can no longer wake us up. He is not amused by this new development, and has taken to sitting on the roof terrace 1 floor down, screaming his little head off while we sleep in. The neighbours must be thrilled, but I at least am getting to enjoy lazy Saturday mornings snoozing in my bed.
This morning mood was tropical "woods" in Borneo 1834 by SL. It reminded me of a trip to Penang, Malaysia, close to 11 years ago. I went to a spice garden in Penang, which for some part looked rather sad, with plants picked bare or in bad shape, barren earth in a few places, but patchouli plant was vibrant and lush, with incredible earthy smell, simultaneously uplifting and grounding. Later I wandered to a cocoa plant and a small installation about cocoa processing. All this combined with lush, humid air of jungle, intoxicating scent of ylang ylang flowers I found in the spice garden, slightly damp skin, heat, and butterflies fluttering around decaying fruit - Borneo 1834 always comes to mind when I think of this trip to Penang.

Later in the day I continued tropical woods mood with Mango Skin by Vilhelm Parfumerie. Lush juicy mango, frangipani, ambra and musk take me back to tropics. The scent itself is nothing new, but it was fun to sample a few new fragrances while running errands, dropping into the mall and picking up a few cans on crushed tomatoes at a local supermarket. Just another Saturday.
Your tropical woods experience sounds lovely! I saw Mango Skin yesterday in a local perfume store but did not stop to smell it. For some reason fruity perfumes don't attract me in theory, even though I frequently like them when I actually try them.

I am going with something in the mulchy forrest category this afternoon, as it is cold and wet and I have a family gathering thing somewhere in the woods today, it seems fitting. I don't enjoy a straight up patchouli, but I have been loving the contrast of damp earthiness and gourmand sweetness of Chanel's Coromandel lately. It's still on the shirt I'm wearing, so I'm running with that.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I concluded that smelling like wood and smelling like woods are two different things and I have more fragrances of the former.

I faced the exact same dilemma about this sync today. I had planned on Chanel Sycomore, because to me it personifies a cypress forest, mulchy floor and trees and all, but I think you and Yellowtone have dissuaded me....

Brilliant!

Mango Skin by Vilhelm Parfumerie. Lush juicy mango, frangipani, ambra and musk take me back to tropics.

I need to try this. I adore the smell of mangoes, but the frangipani and ambra frighten me a little.

and now my cat can no longer wake us up.

Has your cat not learned to climb stairs?

I also immediately thought of Lempicka for the enchanted forrest interpretation of the theme, that brand really has their niche, right?

^^ This was my sync salvation. I truly love the original LL, and seem to find very few occasions to wear it. Somehow it always seems inappropriate to either the weather or the occasion. But today it will have its chance to shine!

The ivy leaf in LL is very, very prominent on me, and the anise and vetiver. I get almost none of the sweet aspects that others seem to find in it.

10212178-6925-j

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Has your cat not learned to climb stairs?
He certainly has, but we keep him in the living room during the night and he can't yet open the door to the hallway and the stairs (thank god!). So he goes outside via the cat flap and climbs the shed to reach the roof terrace in front of what used to be our bedroom, where he used to be able to wake us up. He can't reach the second floor where we sleep now though. I'm pretty sure he wants to speak to the manager about this.

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
@Cook.bot same her - love scent of mangoes, from green and vegetal to sweet and ripe. Mango skin turned to plastic musk in a space from 5 to 11pm. While it lasted, amber was on a cool side of a grey matter that I like, frangipani in a filtered sort of way, creamy and smooth. It all turned to pumpkin musk not even waiting for midnight. If you try it, would be interesting to compare notes. I may get a second reading today when I go to pick up CDG. There are a few other fragrances in the line I may try - Smoke show (really?) and Dear Polly - smoke and black tea. But I digress...

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm testing out a new smoky and woody scent, Blue Smoke by Bluehill Fragrances. The brief was basically a smoky jazz bar, and that is pretty much what you get - a kind of environmental tobacco smoke, booze and perfume intrigue. There is a ton of smoky cypress present, and a bit of Bois des Îles musk that meets it in a new way that reminds me also of the niche woody scents Sugi and Hinoki from Comme des Garçons. But then add in subdued fresh, metallic and mineral notes, and it gives it an urban vibe.

Definitely woody! Unisex, but an easy guy wear.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
We seem to have veered out of the forest and into every other kind of wood here today, but that's understandable given the perfume industry's current obsession with all things wood-scented. Honestly, it seems like every third perfume I see these days has "Bois" in its name, and they mean "pencils" much more often than "forests".

Last edited:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
This sync is well timed, as I was hankering for the forest accord Papillon Spell 125 after the recent discussion about it (thanks to @PStoller) over on the Tried Today thread.

The opening is one of the oddest yet most realistic and evocative forest accords I've experienced in a perfume, displaying the spectrum of forest materials from the wood to the decomposing needles and soil to the greenery. It really smells to me like a pine forest in late Spring with most of the snow melted, when everything that's been sitting there coldly stewing all winter is freshly exposed. And then it turns to bright woody frankincense. Lovely to wear.

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
Ok, still rolling with the jungle and tropical forest here. Started with Pulp by Byredo. This is holidays memories rolled into Pina colada and walk in a hot jungle. Reminds me of fresh coconut water I had in Fiji and Tokelau, and a different kind of drink experience I had in both places. Cava drinking in Fiji - tastes slightly of muddy water (yesterday's Borneo 1834 and patchouli come to mind), and gives lips a light tingle. And in Tokelau locals make a brew from fermented coconut water and coconut palm sap. Can faintly recall taste of fermented juice.

Followed by Jungle L'Elephant by Kenzo, modern edition. Addressing elephant in the room - this is a spice bomb. Love it. Got it as a birthday gift from a friend. She knows me well.
On a windy spring day it gives comfort and heat. And can obliterate crowds if used with reckless abandon.

sakecat

Sep 3, 2022
I was playing with the woods/forest theme last weekend and never got around to posting.

Saturday was more woods - Christian Louboutin Loubicroc. I get a creamy sandalwood out of this scent. Wore this with a straight Sandalwood EO for reference. The Loubicroc smooths out the occasionally rubbery top-note I get out of my sandalwood EO. Once both dry down, they smell very similar.
Sunday was more forest. In my collection - "forest" scents tend to be "pine forest in winter." I wore Firebird Snowdrift - which leaned more heavily into mint. The other option, and what I "should" have worn to synch, was Poesie Great Northern which really nails the "pine forest in winter" vibe, including the dirt, the pine needles, and the supporting vegetation.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...