Suggestion Wardrobe Features: Backups

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
1) Backups: Add a backups field/column that accepts numbers so we can document and easily see which of our fragrances have backups and, if so, how many. (On/Off toggle for those who don’t have backups.)

I would absolutely love to see this one implemented! I'm currently trying to back up everything I love due to Rive Gauche PH discontinuation-induced phobia. :LOL: It's quite hard to keep track of all my backup bottles because they're all at the back of my drawer!

Zgb

Jan 20, 2009
Also I've been thinking about "multiple wardrobes" section where a member may add number of wardrobes if and when needed. For instance, if you have couple of places you reside depending on the year and/or situation and you have certain fragrances there but are not always in your reach. This is only a suggestion.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Also I've been thinking about "multiple wardrobes" section where a member may add number of wardrobes if and when needed. For instance, if you have couple of places you reside depending on the year and/or situation and you have certain fragrances there but are not always in your reach. This is only a suggestion.
It's worth starting another thread for this idea. Along with your suggested uses, some people divide their wardrobes according to season.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Backups could be useful.

For the 2) I've been very successfully using the tag feature and had all my wardrobe and samples tagged by notes and perfumer (one could tag for mood, genre, colour or occasion, too), unfortunately it still has to be re-implemented.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Backups could be useful.

For the 2) I've been very successfully using the tag feature and had all my wardrobe and samples tagged by notes and perfumer (one could tag for mood, genre, colour or occasion, too), unfortunately it still has to be re-implemented.
The thing is, that info is in the directory entries for the fragrances already—or at least, it’s supposed to be—so creating tags for it is a laborious redundancy. (I would have to manually tag every note and perfumer in every one of my 1,300+ frags to gain the functionality I’m requesting.) Tags should only be necessary for things not in the directory, like those you put in parentheses.

Of course, I applaud your workaround, but my suggestion would save everyone else the trouble. (Except for Grant, who’d have to implement it.)

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
A backup indicator is a really interesting idea. I don't have a lot of backups, but I have thought about this in the past when I realized there wasn't a good way to track them. I'm supportive of this idea :)

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Hoping to get tags back very soon

What might be fairly straight forward to implement is a check box in the directory which says “only search my wardrobe”

As for the back up info. Not planning on it at the moment, but that’s a good use case for the private notes feature as a temporary measure

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Hoping to get tags back very soon

What might be fairly straight forward to implement is a check box in the directory which says “only search my wardrobe”
Yes, and/or a “my wardrobe” dropdown in Search when in Wardrobe or Directory, and perhaps a corresponding “search my wardrobe” option in the Advanced Search dialog.

It would be useful to be able to search another user’s wardrobe, as well—for example, if I’m preparing to swap, and I want to see what notes or perfumers they like.

As for the back up info. Not planning on it at the moment, but that’s a good use case for the private notes feature as a temporary measure.
Fair enough. It won’t provide the at-a-glance summary of what’s backed up I was thinking of, but at least I can check there before I go and buy yet another bottle of something I already wasn’t going to use up.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
but at least I can check there before I go and buy yet another bottle of something I already wasn’t going to use up.

^^ It's a good thing normal people can't hear us when we say these things.

I know it would only be a workaround, but you could use one of the star ratings columns in your wardrobe entries to indicate backups on hand. I got this from Bavard, who uses his "sillage" column to indicate how many total MLs he has on hand: one star = less than 30mls, two stars = 30-50mls, etc., etc. You could award one star for every backup bottle on hand.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
In cyberspace, no one can hear you type.

I know it would only be a workaround, but you could use one of the star ratings columns in your wardrobe entries to indicate backups on hand. I got this from Bavard, who uses his "sillage" column to indicate how many total MLs he has on hand: one star = less than 30mls, two stars = 30-50mls, etc., etc. You could award one star for every backup bottle on hand.
If I could remember that, I could remember what I have backed up.

justfoxie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018

Actually it would be really helpful to be able to indicate the size of bottles generally - I used to use tags for this (as well as for seasons).

On the multiple wardrobe front - I have a partner who isn't on BN and I'd like to keep track of what's in his wardrobe because I'm greedy that way.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I know it would only be a workaround, but you could use one of the star ratings columns in your wardrobe entries to indicate backups on hand. I got this from Bavard, who uses his "sillage" column...
That's actually a pretty good idea. I may do exactly that, just using stars to indicate number of bottles for everything in my wardrobe. Thanks for the idea!

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000

There was a section in the database when I first created wardrobes waaaaay back in 2004ish, but never got round to doing it. Feel free to make a suggestion if you want

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
You could use the tag feature for back-ups too (once it's back). You could create a tag called "backed-up", and when you click on that tag, all your backed-up fragrances will appear. You could use the notes feature to indicate how many back-up bottles you have for each particular fragrance. This is probably what I'll do.

Latest News