Want a clone but don't know the clone's name? (or vice versa)

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
Just stumbled across this site to get some confirmation on Cuba Paris' clones.

https://clone-fragrance.com/fragrances/

I think this is a good initiative so I thought I'd share it. However proceed with caution because some comparisons are completely false.

For Cuba Paris it seems to match the web's and youtube's opinions. However I'm just now seeing quite some mistakes e.g.:

Creed Bois du Portugal = Lalique pour Homme ---> that's totally wrong!
Creed Original Vetiver = Mugler Cologne ---> no way

So proceed with caution. Or better yet: if anyone knows a better site: please tell!

Gurahl

Apr 17, 2019
On fragrantica many people compare Mugler's Cologne to Creed Original Vetiver. They also compare Bois du Portugal to Lalique pour Homme.

So I'd suggest you are entirely wrong to say 'no way'. You wouldn't be a Creed fanboy would you?

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Creed Bois du Portugal = Lalique pour Homme ---> that's totally wrong!
Creed Original Vetiver = Mugler Cologne ---> no way

Thank you for the link. Indeed, not all the fragrances entered have their best clone linked, but in the case of these Creed BdP and OV, I will have to confirm that Lalique PH (edp) and Mugler Cologne are very close.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
On fragrantica many people compare Mugler's Cologne to Creed Original Vetiver. They also compare Bois du Portugal to Lalique pour Homme.

So I'd suggest you are entirely wrong to say 'no way'. You wouldn't be a Creed fanboy would you?
Maybe OP personally do not find great similarity. Our noses sometimes work in mysterious ways (cue U2 guitar-intro)..

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019

Thank you for the link. Indeed, not all the fragrances entered have their best clone linked, but in the case of these Creed BdP and OV, I will have to confirm that Lalique PH (edp) and Mugler Cologne are very close.

Why no way? Absolutely correct, very similar to me.

I doubt any of you even bothered so I'll do it for your education:

Picture01.jpg

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I doubt any of you even bothered so I'll do it for your education:

View attachment 139632

The very low number of posts, as well as this very naive statement makes me reasonably think that you must be a very beginner (most of all your answer). So let us help educate you:

Olfactive pyramids are a marketing thing created by a panel of testers when the fragrance is blended, to influence the customer. It gives a vague idea of what a fragrance smells like, but most of the time are not an accurate representation of the final result, and you have indeed 2 great examples here. What for sure pyramids are NOT, is an ingredients list. Indeed, in order to make a fragrance, perfumers generally use sonething like 30-500 different «*ingredients*».
Then, marketing teams put on the market fragrances with very different notes listed that often result being similar, because the number of oil/scented components that can be used is limited. For example: many «*incense*» fragrances could be marketed as «*black pepper*» fragrances, and vice-versa. It’s all perception and influence.

If you took time to make your homework and educate yourself by reading the many reviews around on Creed OV, you’ll notice that the vast majority agreed that despite its name, it’s more a musk/neroli fragrance than a vetiver fragrance.

In a nutshell: in order to have an approximate idea what a fragrance smells like without smelling it, read the reviews, post on forums and see what it is compared to. But do not rely on pyramids.

Should you have any other questions, do not hesitate, we would be happy to help.

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
Your patience is commendable.

One could say patience and temper were lost here though:

The very low number of posts, as well as this very naive statement makes me reasonably think that you must be a very beginner (most of all your answer). So let us help educate you:

The list of notes is just the marketing. Often it means nothing. The only thing you should trust is the nose.
Olfactive pyramids are a marketing thing...

I can't believe what I'm reading ;)

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
One could say patience and temper were lost here though:

You arrogantly used the word «*educate*» first, directed toward several members, and I have been for sure much too patient with you already, given the time I invested to politely answer you.

Several other members have noticed your baiting attempts and called you out already. That’s why again, I would strongly suggest you stop and adopt a respectful attitude towards other basenoters.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Sounds like OP is trying to drum traffic to the suggested website by making a controversial statement and then following it up with antagonizing ones.

Well, the site is ok, I checked it out some weeks ago.

OP, if the website is yours, you'd do better adding all clones of a fragrance versus just one. For example, Aventus has probably a dozen clones at the moment.

Concerning your condescending statements earlier, just stop it.

UnluckyXIII

Dec 3, 2015
I’ve used the website before, if offers comparable alternatives to some of the most popular fragrances, some are better matches than others and there are more (and in my opinion) better alternatives for some of them, generally speaking some are closer to a true clone while others sit more in an “inspired by” category.

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
Guy's I'm very sorry.

Upon sampling BdP once again recently I was shocked: it does smell almost identical to Lalique pour homme le Lion.

Something must've gone very wrong with my decant is the only thing I can think of. I got solely vetiver, bergamot and ambergris from it with a very faint woodsiness. Maybe that was in fact a Creed vetiver in there. Or a mix.

Staff online

Latest News