Visiting NYC for Christmas. Any recommendations what to buy?

fragconn

Basenotes Member
Mar 29, 2022
Dear BN community, I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong thread or repeated.
I live in Europe and will be visiting NYC over Christmas. I´ve been browsing online shops like LuckyScent and Ministry of Scent but they carry many European niche fragrances that I can also buy here. My problem is I don't really know any of the new(-ish) small niche/artisanal American brands. What American brand of niche/artisanal perfume I should look for? Do you have any recommendations? I could also order online if needed. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Most small brands are selling online on the usual websites, so you can probably access them in Europe anyway. Off the top of my head (and you probably know them already), I like a lot The Zoo (Laudamiel, European perfumer, but based in NYC). Fazzolari/Fzotic has some nice stuff (eg Lampblack).

You can also check in mainstream, eg Estee Lauder, which is a US brand, I don't know if it costs less or has more choice here in the US, where it is a staple of department stores.

cacio

fragconn

Basenotes Member
Mar 29, 2022
T
Most small brands are selling online on the usual websites, so you can probably access them in Europe anyway. Off the top of my head (and you probably know them already), I like a lot The Zoo (Laudamiel, European perfumer, but based in NYC). Fazzolari/Fzotic has some nice stuff (eg Lampblack).

You can also check in mainstream, eg Estee Lauder, which is a US brand, I don't know if it costs less or has more choice here in the US, where it is a staple of department stores.

cacio
Thank you! I will check Fzotic!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
I’m not knowledgeable on niche or artisanal, but enjoy your trip! NYC is magical during the holiday season.

You took the words out of my mouth.

I have wonderful memories of a trip to NYC in the fall. It WAS magical.

There was even snow --my first snow ever, wispy flurries like tiny dove feathers-- when I was coming out of the MET (the museum, not the opera).

ETA: It's the Met, but whatever.

Last edited:

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
You took the words out of my mouth.

I have wonderful memories of a trip to NYC in the fall. It WAS magical.

There was even snow --my first snow ever, wispy flurries like tiny dove feathers-- when I was coming out of the MET (the museum, not the opera).

What a beautiful memory ❤️ And to get your first snow ever during your trip - perfect!

My holiday/city memory is .. my father used to take my mother and I to the city every December to see The Nutcracker Ballet at Lincoln Center, followed by dinner (my favorite was a steakhouse named Gallagher’s), and a trip to the FAO Schwartz toystore and then to see the tree at Rockefeller Center (my mother would do some shopping - I’d be too young to care).

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Since you are into indie brands I definitely recommend Christopher Laudamiel's shop The Zoo. Of course there's also Scent Bar and Aedes de Venustas.

Of the big dept stores, Bloomingdales (the flagship on Lexington) has the biggest selection of brands I've never seen anywhere else like L'Orchestre, the Cartier Les Heures, Hermetica and many many others.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...