Viride by Orto Parisi (2014)

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
from my recent BN review

Notes: Grass, herbs, woods

I like this scent. It is VERY woody from the get-go. It has some striking but brief cool-herbal notes -- perhaps basil and artemisia. It develops into a smouldering woody brew with a pronounced balsamic spine. The balsam makes it a tiny bit sweet but it it not problematic. At times the balsam even seems a bit like cocoa powder. Cedar is the prominent wood, along with a bit of some kind of incense. Great longevity, wears well and is enjoyable for wood fans.

Parisi is a new-ish niche line, I was fortunate to encounter the full assortment at a niche shop in New Orleans. All in the line are quirky, many are too sweet for me. Parisi is a minimalist artsy house, think of Slumberhouse or O'Driu and you get the picture.

Last edited:

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Can't improve on my review above. ;)
Very green & aromatic. Herbal-minty-cool in balance with warm, assertive woods.
I find this to be a beautiful scent, and one well suited to cool damp weather. It generates a bit of comforting warmth
Perhaps a pleasantly mossy/rubber note in the dry-down. And hints of conifer throughout.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Often, I like to re-visit a scent with no preconceptions. I don't read my previous notes and thus allow the scent to speak to me anew. Then, it is interesting to compare my response on different occasions -- what is similar, what new elements have emerged? Thus, here are my notes today.

A powerful, very green-herbal opening. Fairly sweet at first, eventually settles down. At times suggestive of sweetgrass or hay. Perhaps there is some tonka/coumarin here. A vague smokey note, also a hint of cocoa. Fougere in style, though deconstructed somewhat and unfamiliar in parts. I am convinced there is patchouli here -- minty, earthy, lends support to the assertive, slightly sweet wood which I think is cedar. Also a strong vein of moist earth and rotting leaves/forest floor. Brash and jangly at first, settles into a complex brew. Apply lightly -- still has great longevity after 12+ hours.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
This is an intriguing green powerhouse! It is aromatic, very herbal and green, and a bit sweet (like grass or hay). Dusky and quite earthy. It has a pleasing quality that I can't quite identify -- I just know I enjoy wearing it every once in a while. Good for cool, damp weather in my opinion. It generates a bit of warmth.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Can't improve on my comments above. Very green, balsamic and a bit sweet initially. Settles into an old-growth forest with a touch of the burnished wood and pipe tobacco notes of a gentleman's club. :)

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Just checked the Orto Parisi website. Viride is still in production. OP is coy -- they show the bottle but only have pictures of various green scenes: moss, forest, grass, Green Man sculpture. The juice is green, and so we deduce that Viride is the green-oriented scent for OP. And, how is it? Quite balsamic and sweet at first. Do NOT over apply or you'll regret it. Some of the sweet notes (almost like cocoa, typical of some balsams) burn off. Herbal notes emerge. And then a woody spine appears, which anchors the scent and gives it depth and a slightly haunting, smoky tone. Develops in ways similar to Slumberhouse -- the same sort of aesthetic.

odysseusm

Jan 12, 2007
Here is a lesser-known scent and a green powerhouse! The juice in the clear bottle is a bright emerald green. Of course, that is probably due to colouring, but it is an intentional signal of what sort of scent to expect. One spritz does it for me. A very forest-y, balsamic and mossy chord emerges. Hints of cocoa (typical of many balsamics) and wood. Enjoyable. I would find it too sweet if I over-applied it. Definitely a scent for lovers of the green scene.

Latest News