Vintages I Bought - 2023

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I've never tried that or even heard of it but I absolutely love how ancient it looks! 💚😁

One of the lesser-known Lanvins, Eau de Cologne was issued c. 1938. (Different dates for it have been published, but I’m going by an ad announcing it as new.) I just hope I won’t open the box to find the bottle empty.

Ali AD

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2017
Get me one😃😃 rochas...made awesome stuff.
Believe it or not, I was about to get two bottles! The other one, unfortunately, had a defective sprayer and being a pressurized atomizer I knew there was nothing I could do to save it 😖

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Was this a men's marketed Lanvin?

Not specifically, so far as I know. I’ve seen this ad from c. 1938:

F86BDBE2-E468-4CB4-B7DE-F0476F942723.jpeg

The ad only references earlier feminines, but that might be because Lanvin hadn’t issued any masculines yet. Aside from the unisex Eau de Lanvin of 1933, Lanvin didn’t issue any masculines until the obscure Eau de Lanvin for Men in 1953.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Could be a crossover bottle, they're not uncommon.

I have two different addresses on the two I have. 43 Rue Decamps and 15 Avenue d'Eylau. I have no idea of the significance of that but hunch says the 15 Avenue d'Eylau is the earlier one.

View attachment 328828 View attachment 328829
I appreciate your response!

I gave false information before. My box says 15 Avenue d’Eylau and my bottle says 24-26 rue Bailu. Both are Adipar distribution. Both Made in France. Mine likely a crossover, apparently not only while formula was changed with the small “ee” but also due to a temporary address until moving to rue Decamps? All trivial, I know, but interesting. The good news for me… I love the version I received. Thanks again!

Martialisaragon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 9, 2021
View attachment 328878

p.s. does anyone know how to date any of the D'Orsay's? Arome 3 says 1301, Fantastique only says 602 next to the logo on the bottom and the Etiquette Bleue's say 1001 and 1002 next to the size. No batch codes or anything on any of the bottles
What beauties, congratulations! Sorry, I don't know how to date them. They look as though they could be from the 1960s.

Martialisaragon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 9, 2021
20230401_113031.jpg
These came in yesterday. Bought them for a very reasonable price from a top seller in France. Both are great, the L'Homme was an instant love and the Jacomo, while it cannot be described as discreet, took until today for me to get, but now I like it more and more for every hour that passes. I am very happy for these. I actually had to pull the trigger for a backup of the Roger & Gallet, it's that good.

WarmJewel

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 5, 2022
These came in yesterday. Bought them for a very reasonable price from a top seller in France. Both are great, the L'Homme was an instant love and the Jacomo, while it cannot be described as discreet, took until today for me to get, but now I like it more and more for every hour that passes. I am very happy for these. I actually had to pull the trigger for a backup of the Roger & Gallet, it's that good.
That's exactly the Roger & Gallet L'Homme version I used to have back 'in the day'. It's very nice, I've been keeping an eye out for one but no luck so far.

Very nice find.

Ali AD

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2017
Wow nice find! Is the other with the broken atomizer still available? PM me if it’s still for sale.

I wish it was available and savable @nosey74 otherwise I would have taken it myself.

First the sprayer wouldn't work, so I thought it's either clogged or the propellant had leaked out somehow without effecting the perfume. Either way, I was happy to get a bargain price on a defective but savable bottle of a rare perfume!

The moment I removed the nozzle all hell broke loose! the juice gushed out of the nozzle in a continuous pressurized mist, the liquid inside the bottle bubbling and evaporating right before my eyes. It was a horrible and depressing sight! 😭😱

I hate atomizers and don't understand why they used to choose these over natural sprayers?? :mad:

WarmJewel

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 5, 2022
Recently acquired.

Dolce & Gabanna - Pour Homme. Aftershave, 75ml, 2.5 Floz.

Euroitalia made in Italy version, came brand new and shrinkwrapped. Interestingly the barcode was stuck on the outer shrinkwrap and not printed on the box itself. No idea of dating but predated the updated version launched in 2012, so somewhere between 1994 - 2012. Batch code of 402718.

dgph01.jpg dgph03.jpg dgph04.JPG dgph05.jpg dgph06.jpg dgph07.jpg

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I wish it was available and savable @nosey74 otherwise I would have taken it myself.

First the sprayer wouldn't work, so I thought it's either clogged or the propellant had leaked out somehow without effecting the perfume. Either way, I was happy to get a bargain price on a defective but savable bottle of a rare perfume!

The moment I removed the nozzle all hell broke loose! the juice gushed out of the nozzle in a continuous pressurized mist, the liquid inside the bottle bubbling and evaporating right before my eyes. It was a horrible and depressing sight! 😭😱

I hate atomizers and don't understand why they used to choose these over natural sprayers?? :mad:
Thanks for sharing. Agreed - I haven’t had much luck with pressurized atomizers but I also have natural sprayers that leak too!

Martialisaragon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 9, 2021
Recently acquired.

Azzaro - Pour Homme. Eau de Toilette, 60ml, 1.7 Floz.

Dating, third bottle style, 1997 - 2007.

View attachment 328979 View attachment 328980 View attachment 328981 View attachment 328982 View attachment 328983
How do you find it? Have you been able to compare with older iterations? I think that @The Cologne Cabinet holds the opinion that the 3rd (this one) is still very good: Azzaro Pour Homme: Yesterday & Today (Reference Guide). Given your bottle is in good shape, it would be interesting to hear if you concur.

I ask also because I am myself waiting for some juice of this to arrive.

relus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 21, 2019
View attachment 328953
Im eyeing on a L' homme myself, a splash and a spray, i see this scent also is getting pricy...just as most vintage stuff the ladt years...i know this one is loved in the vintage area here on basenotes. Question; is there difference in certain years/ batches?? Yours has still the degree/○ symbol. The one im scoping has the %. Did the juice change or is it all good? And is there some comparesing to some other scents in the vintage department, just to get some proper insight.
Good looking out.

WarmJewel

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 5, 2022
How do you find it? Have you been able to compare with older iterations? I think that @The Cologne Cabinet holds the opinion that the 3rd (this one) is still very good: Azzaro Pour Homme: Yesterday & Today (Reference Guide). Given your bottle is in good shape, it would be interesting to hear if you concur.
I haven't tried it yet. I had (or still have) Lancetti Uomo on and tried a mini of Rochas Macassar Eau de Toilette this afternoon on the back of my hand and I suspect both of those worth overwhelm the Azzaro!

I have an early (first version) aftershave and Eau de Toilette and a current version to test it against. I'll report back when I have.

azph03.JPG azph1.jpg

Martialisaragon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 9, 2021
Im eyeing on a L' homme myself, a splash and a spray, i see this scent also is getting pricy...just as most vintage stuff the ladt years...i know this one is loved in the vintage area here on basenotes. Question; is there difference in certain years/ batches?? Yours has still the degree/○ symbol. The one im scoping has the %. Did the juice change or is it all good? And is there some comparesing to some other scents in the vintage department, just to get some proper insight.
Good looking out.
That is a very good question, which I cannot answer. The scent itself is, I believe, classified as an ambery fougère. I am wearing Bogart Signature at the moment, but has dabbed a little of L'Homme on my forearm. There is citric freshness along with mint, spiciness. A full, rich but still light-hearted and playful floral, what must be the ylang-ylang. There is a warm and just a little dark tone to it, which makes it work well as an all round weather scent. Compared with Bogart, I think it is more versatile, relaxed and also more mature. L'Homme is definitely signature material in its elegant, understated effortlessness, while the Signature, literally is a tougher wear and maybe a little showy in comparison. This gives L'Homme a universality it shares with the classic citrus chypres. Monsieur de Givenchy for example, can be worn in just about any situation and is never wrong. L'Homme might be even more versatile than the Givenchy, since being a fougère, it encompasses both the casual and formal and manages cold weather too.

relus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 21, 2019
That is a very good question, which I cannot answer. The scent itself is, I believe, classified as an ambery fougère. I am wearing Bogart Signature at the moment, but has dabbed a little of L'Homme on my forearm. There is citric freshness along with mint, spiciness. A full, rich but still light-hearted and playful floral, what must be the ylang-ylang. There is a warm and just a little dark tone to it, which makes it work well as an all round weather scent. Compared with Bogart, I think it is more versatile, relaxed and also more mature. L'Homme is definitely signature material in its elegant, understated effortlessness, while the Signature, literally is a tougher wear and maybe a little showy in comparison. This gives L'Homme a universality it shares with the classic citrus chypres. Monsieur de Givenchy for example, can be worn in just about any situation and is never wrong. L'Homme might be even more versatile than the Givenchy, since being a fougère, it encompasses both the casual and formal and manages cold weather too.
Thanks for your insights, this helps. Much Apreciated!

Monsieur Montana

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2015
I bought this one this morning and should receive it in about a week :

View attachment 328948

I already own a bottle of Ungaro III but this one interested me because, apart from a very reasonable price, it was produced in France and not in Italy like mine.
I will see if there is any significant difference ...

View attachment 328949
My Ungaro I bottle is also made in France. I have to check my Ungaro III bottles.

Avecesar

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 16, 2011
My Ungaro I bottle is also made in France. I have to check my Ungaro III bottles.
Brother, I need to moderate my previous post as I wonder if the bottle I purchased is really from France. The reason for that : the label under the bottle mentions the year 1992 and not 1993, the year of Ungaro III launching. As I purchased a bottle of Ungaro II at the same time from the same vendor, it's possible that he reversed the pics. I will know soon, once I received the 2 bottles ...

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I haven't tried it yet. I had (or still have) Lancetti Uomo on and tried a mini of Rochas Macassar Eau de Toilette this afternoon on the back of my hand and I suspect both of those worth overwhelm the Azzaro!

I have an early (first version) aftershave and Eau de Toilette and a current version to test it against. I'll report back when I have.

View attachment 329021 View attachment 329022
I'm curious as well. I've only tried the first formulation which was great.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp