Vintage SOTD Thread for May 2022

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I threw on some Diorissimo EDT for the weekend sync.
375x500.224.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I just realized it's May.

I would think you'd pay more attention to your namesake month. :)

Seller on eBay has them for $35 including free shipping.

Now there's a man living up to his name. :)

For me, for a day of doing nothing, a nice long bath and then oodles of vintage Jean Naté (1935) by Charles of the Ritz. One reviewer says this peppery lemon reminds him of Boucheron Pour Homme, and I can see that.

JeanNate1qt.jpg

Redfish365

Basenotes Junkie
May 5, 2021
For me, for a day of doing nothing, a nice long bath and then oodles of vintage Jean Naté (1935) by Charles of the Ritz. One reviewer says this peppery lemon reminds him of Boucheron Pour Homme, and I can see that.

View attachment 211198
I remember Jean Naté commercials like they were yesterday and very specifically this one -

Redfish365

Basenotes Junkie
May 5, 2021
Gucci pour Homme, Gucci. 1976. Guy Robert.

Layering After-shave with Eau de toilette. The After-shave is of great quality. Smoky, aromatic and very refined. In a few hours, I'll wear the Eau de toilette.

View attachment 211617
As others have said and I 100% agree this (the EDT) is the very best Gucci has produced and for me conjures up very strong memories of my early and mid 20s or the late 1980s. A gorgeous scent and yes, to my nose even better than Nobile.

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Please share your thoughts on this.
Well, first time I wear it and even smell it. There's no doubt it's a great quality fragrance. Oddly, first spraying brought me big whiffs of hesperidic notes (not lemon, rather orange or mandarin), lasting for a couple of minutes, and then a tiny animalic side, leaned to a smoky smell.
I'll wear it many other times, but one thing for sure: I like this one a lot !

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I'm glad to see this one ! How do you like it, please ? Could you describe the notes you smell ? There is something in Coca that i can't describe; very strong, not unpleasant, but nearly overwhelming; do you feel the same ?

There is a strong lavender and anise at the beginning with a little nutmeg but in the drydown oakmoss dominates. I love oakmoss so that isn't an issue for me :)

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
Nosey, do you know which vintage version is this one we're both wearing today? Second version?
All 3 of us are wearing the very first release made under Sanofi from 1989 to early 1995. It has the marble look sticker on the front where Tsar is written. The similar looking opaque bottle (Adipar) version, late 1995 to 1999, doesn’t have the marble look sticker and no “Eau de Toilette” written on the front towards the bottom of the bottle. See 1st picture for an example of an Adipar bottle.

As far as I am aware, Tsar made under Sanofi & Adipar are very similar, if not the same. The ribbed and completely transparent bottles, under Gucci from late 1999 to 2007, is a completely different story though. See 2nd picture for the Gucci formulation.

Attachments

• A10E3C74-8969-478D-B0A5-D6E29EEA595F.jpeg
    A10E3C74-8969-478D-B0A5-D6E29EEA595F.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 6
  • B3B784A3-E0BA-48A1-890C-BA93157D93EC.jpeg
    B3B784A3-E0BA-48A1-890C-BA93157D93EC.jpeg
    741.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest News