Vintage SOTD Thread for January 2023

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021
Davidoff by Davidoff.
(Well winter is back and at this early hour everything is blanketed under a light coating of white. Roads, essentially untreated thus far, are a slippery mess. We're expecting another 2" to 4"and I hope for the former. Light snow for the next couple of days as well. It's no blizzard but it does create some adventurous driving until the roads are plowed and salted.
I thought the original Davidoff would be the perfect companion on this chilly and damp day. Davidoff never topped this and only Zino comes anywhere near close but is rather different beast. I think it's the lime in the opening of Davidoff Original that sets the hook. I love it and can't get enough. I'm a sucker for a good lime! The carnation, orris and rose in the heart are beautiful. Besides that lime opening the best part of the whole endeavor is the leathery and mossy base. Delightful!)

20220517_083555.jpg

Last edited:

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
375x500.4775.jpg

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
That's a typical take on the question, including from me, but some people, including @Oviatt, I seem to recall, think Heritage has a bunch of Shalimar as well.
Maybe Shalimar was a jump point of inspiration for the perfumer(s)? Kinda like when a house all has this similar “thing” that they do? ‘Ok boys… People seem to like this Shalimar stuff. What if we made another version of it but added some citrus and whatnot, then stuck a new name on it to appeal to our male clientele?’ I just really don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
I really want a bottle of this killer vetiver fragrance but am finding it difficult to locate. My search continues! What are your thoughts on this fragrance Jean?
One of my preferred vetivers ! It's strong, dense, but refined, at the opposite of, say, Vetiver de Puig, or Roccobarocco vetiver. Vetiver Lanvin is potent, classic, complex: a must-have, IMO.

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
Maybe Shalimar was a jump point of inspiration for the perfumer(s)? Kinda like when a house all has this similar “thing” that they do? ‘Ok boys… People seem to like this Shalimar stuff. What if we made another version of it but added some citrus and whatnot, then stuck a new name on it to appeal to our male clientele?’ I just really don’t know. 🤷‍♂️
Just look at how many flankers Guerlain made for Shalimar & Habit Rouge. Could you imagine if they did the same thing with Heritage? Oops, I shouldn’t give them any ideas.

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
Brrrrrrrr. Snow down south causes panic and confusion. 🤣😂 Hope everything stays safe for y’all and that you stay warm. I look forward to seeing your SOTD tomorrow!
I hope y'all are doing ok. My little guy's preschool got cancelled today and we do have some snow on the ground but it seems okayish. We were very fortunate that the ground was warm when all this snow hit. I'm 2 states north of you. :D But yeah - snow causes panic here and we frequently get ice instead of snow when it is cold.

ScentBeagle

Basenotes Member
Jan 6, 2023
Today, I finally broke the seal on a small 7.5 ml, 1960s, Shalimar extrait that had been looking at me for many, many years. This perfume is so so so so so amazing on a cold New York day. I find Shalimar extrait performs the best when the air is bitter cold and the warmth of the skin just sends clouds and clouds of a heavenly scent wafting around you...and projects to those within 6 feet of your personal space or engulfed in your scent trail. I know a lot of people still love the modern formulas, but they really cannot compare to these 1960s vintage extraits. Amazing!!!!

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
Today, I finally broke the seal on a small 7.5 ml, 1960s, Shalimar extrait that had been looking at me for many, many years. This perfume is so so so so so amazing on a cold New York day. I find Shalimar extrait performs the best when the air is bitter cold and the warmth of the skin just sends clouds and clouds of a heavenly scent wafting around you...and projects to those within 6 feet of your personal space or engulfed in your scent trail. I know a lot of people still love the modern formulas, but they really cannot compare to these 1960s vintage extraits. Amazing!!!!
Is the leather snarling at you?

ScentBeagle

Basenotes Member
Jan 6, 2023
This evening for a nice dinner out I decided to wear vintage Jean Patou Sublime (1991 on base of bottle but released in 1992, only 1 - 2 sprays is necessary). At first, this is quite powdery on me but it becomes less so after 1/2 hour in the cold. I think it is a good floral fragrance for a man in a suit and tie. I prefer Sublime to Clive Chrisitan No. 1 for Men as the latter has some note that is less agreeable with my skin chemistry.

P.S. Thought of the night: does a man or woman crossing the cultural assignment of perfumes (masculine v feminine) represent a form of gender fluidity?

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...