Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
SOTE: Monsieur Musk by Houbigant

375x500.5354.jpg

Professor Value

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2019
Tried to find Brownstone the other day lol
I was fortunate, twice, last year. First time a gentleman found a nearly full 4 ounce spray bottle at a Pandora's Closet and sold it to me on eBay for a very reasonable $65 plus shipping. I then purchased a 2 ounce splash bottle for $30 plus shipping from another on Ebay. Until that time, I only had an empty sample vial I kept since 1986.

SolaceKosmoskrator

Basenotes Member
Oct 19, 2021
After 6 weeks on a boat from Eastern Europe this gentleman arrived yesterday. Batch code indicates ‘89. Haven’t had a chance to decant into a sprayer yet so it’s just dabs so far. Jean-Paul does not sound like my type of dude but man does his oeuvre get more and more impressive the deeper I get into this ridiculous hobby. I feel like the mark of a great citrus is how it navigates the Scylla and Charybdis of lemon household cleaner and the one hand, and orange sugar drink on the other. Hermes EDC/CV does so by giving you that underripe orange. Chanel PM and azemour strap their citrus tops to something animated and complex, like the beloved dog on top of a charismatic and dysfunctional family’s car.

This eau points to that eau sauvage twinkle of filth but never actually gets there. It’s not as shrill as yuzu fou or as sharp as Chanel’s edc. It manages that warm guerlain fullness without ending up in provincial foppishness. If I were emperor I’d bathe in it

FE0E5B85-5BD0-49DB-8F89-1F278A0B08BB.jpeg

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
After 6 weeks on a boat from Eastern Europe this gentleman arrived yesterday. Batch code indicates ‘89. Haven’t had a chance to decant into a sprayer yet so it’s just dabs so far. Jean-Paul does not sound like my type of dude but man does his oeuvre get more and more impressive the deeper I get into this ridiculous hobby. I feel like the mark of a great citrus is how it navigates the Scylla and Charybdis of lemon household cleaner and the one hand, and orange sugar drink on the other. Hermes EDC/CV does so by giving you that underripe orange. Chanel PM and azemour strap their citrus tops to something animated and complex, like the beloved dog on top of a charismatic and dysfunctional family’s car.

This eau points to that eau sauvage twinkle of filth but never actually gets there. It’s not as shrill as yuzu fou or as sharp as Chanel’s edc. It manages that warm guerlain fullness without ending up in provincial foppishness. If I were emperor I’d bathe in it

View attachment 182162
That’s a really good pickup. It lasts a decent amount of time also. I don’t see it similarly to Eau Sauvage myself, as it is more in the traditional 4711 type cologne game, to me, but lasts much longer. So fun!

SolaceKosmoskrator

Basenotes Member
Oct 19, 2021
I was fortunate, twice, last year. First time a gentleman found a nearly full 4 ounce spray bottle at a Pandora's Closet and sold it to me on eBay for a very reasonable $65 plus shipping. I then purchased a 2 ounce splash bottle for $30 plus shipping from another on Ebay. Until that time, I only had an empty sample vial I kept since 1986.
that is good work and that's why you're the professor

SolaceKosmoskrator

Basenotes Member
Oct 19, 2021
That’s a really good pickup. It lasts a decent amount of time also. I don’t see it similarly to Eau Sauvage myself, as it is more in the traditional 4711 type cologne game, to me, but lasts much longer. So fun!
yes, you are right. I should clarify: I feel like it fakes in that direction but then goes a different route, which is what is so pleasant and surprising. quite possible I've just been riding the vintage roudnitska's too hard lately

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Do you have a desert island guccicorn?
My Gucci is the 1976 Pour Homme, but it comes in and out of favor mysteriously. I have cologne and edt. I think Avecesar would like a stronger concentration a little more, but only a little. My impressions vary, and the passing of time has not changed that. During a good wearing, I'll feel like it's a better version of Chanel Pour Monsieur and Guerlain Derby. During an underwhelming wearing, it falls flat.

I think Gucci Nobile divides opinion. I think of it as nice, but subtle. Too subtle to be a big deal. I've been told, though, that I'm missing how good it is with its tobacco note, I think it was.

With Gucci Pour Homme, I think maybe getting an older bottle that doesn't say either Cologne or edt might be the way to go.

MisterK

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2003
SOTD: Aura of Patchouli by Caswell-Massey. I treasure wearing this one. The name is right too - its not the hippie-dippie type of patchouli, perhaps a bit more earthy and easy to wear. After I got this one I could appreciate better other frags with a prominent patchouli note (i.e. Heritage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News