Vintage SOTD Thread for January 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

badarun

Basenotes Institution
Jan 15, 2013
RIP the great Nino Cerruti...

In his memory, SOTD and SOTN will be his creations - Pour Homme and Fairplay.

Attachments

• image-38950-1642307189.jpg
    image-38950-1642307189.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
  • o.95744.jpg
    o.95744.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Do you get the "smell of warm, sleeping puppies" with this fragrance?

I don't like dogs, so if a perfume smells like a puppy, I'll walk on by !

Professor Value

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2019
Does anyone know when vintage 1979 Nino Cerruti Pour Homme was discontinued and how many reformulations it may have went through I assume due to having different distributors during its run? Do they all smell about the same?
I've never seen different versions of NCPH, and it's really hard to locate big bottles.

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I've never seen different versions of NCPH, and it's really hard to locate big bottles.

Does anyone know when vintage 1979 Nino Cerruti Pour Homme was discontinued and how many reformulations it may have went through I assume due to having different distributors during its run? Do they all smell about the same?

I'll rephrase my question - Does anyone know if there are any major noticeable differences between the different versions? See image below - I didn't include the front of the box because they appear to look the same.

4iGh8fA.jpg

Avecesar

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 16, 2011
I own 2 bottles of Nino Cerruti EDT, the one (50ml spray) I just got this week and another one (20ml spray) I have since years. Both are made in France but there are differences on the boxes labelling :
New one has bar code and a long list of ingredients printed so , I believe, it's the most recent production. It's identified as Parfums Cerruti - Coty Prestige - Paris.
The old one has no bar code, no ingredient list, identified as Parfums Nino Cerruti - Paris. It's clearly "more vintage" than the other one.
To my modest nose, side by side, they smell basically the same ! The differences are minimal for me.

Edit : I just saw your post, nosey ; my older one has the CR logo printed on it so your older/newer classification seems correct.

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I own 2 bottles of Nino Cerruti EDT, the one (50ml spray) I just got this week and another one (20ml spray) I have since years. Both are made in France but there are differences on the boxes labelling :
New one has bar code and a long list of ingredients printed so , I believe, it's the most recent production. It's identified as Parfums Cerruti - Coty Prestige - Paris.
The old one has no bar code, no ingredient list, identified as Parfums Nino Cerruti - Paris. It's clearly "more vintage" than the other one.
To my modest nose, side by side, they smell basically the same ! The differences are minimal for me.
Thank you Avecesar! It looks like there may have been a 3rd version of this fragrance. Glad to hear the smell is about the same.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Had to feature the sprayer because, we know, vintage is about the sprayer, as well as the line, and the...

I notice that sprayer quality seems to be much more of a concern among male vintage collectors than it is among females. I hardly ever hear women discussing the sprayers unless it's something really egregious, like gas-pressurized bottles.

Just sayin'.

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I notice that sprayer quality seems to be much more of a concern among male vintage collectors than it is among females. I hardly ever hear women discussing the sprayers unless it's something really egregious, like gas-pressurized bottles.

Just sayin'.
Quorum typically uses cheap junky crimped on sprayers so when you see one like Professor Values it is special.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Quorum typically uses cheap junky crimped on sprayers so when you see one like Professor Values it is special.

Hmm. Now I suppose I should check my Quorum bottle for a wonky sprayer. I never noticed it.

It's freezing cold here and I needed warm spices with a minimum of citrus:

Déclaration Essence (2001) by ? (but my money's on JC Ellena) for Cartier

I just took a cursory glance at eBay listings for this and noticed that the 50ml bottles have all but disappeared, which is a pity because their proportions suit the bottle design so much better than the big ones do.

CartierDeclarationEssence.50ml.jpg

Did you know that Cartier once made cigarettes? I suppose they needed something to accompany their fancy gold lighters.

CartierCigarettesAdvert_1983.jpg

Alex F.

Nov 29, 2019
rosewood.jpg
It's been a while since my last post and pickings have been rather slim in the meantime, but I have not been entirely idle and managed to acquire some interesting old fragrances.
My newest addition is an old bottle of Zino. A few years back I tested the modern version in a local perfumery and remember it as smelling too strong and spicy for my taste, so I was quite surprised when I tried my vintage bottle and found a rather sophisticated rosewood scent.
Rosewood made me think of another recent acquisition of mine. So my scent of the day is a rosewood duo, Zino and KL Homme.
I like them both but prefer the subtler Zino to the somewhat garish KL Homme.

Professor Value

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2019

Just sayin'.
@nosey74 @Cook.bot My reason for featuring the sprayer (and referencing the thickness of the "line" on the bottle) was to indicate this was the original, vintage version. Thank you @Varanis Ridari

Cevenol

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2015
EC9FF83B-8A60-4949-B14A-B9C9785261FB.jpeg

A nice surprise just now, I thought I had Eau de Rochas but after taking the picture realized it's Eau de Roche, discontinued in 1956 and relaunched in 1970.
A nice fresh citus chypre.
Edit: Performs like a cologne, entirely gone within an hour, juicy citruses, breath of civet, gentle flowers then poof, gone. Very nice.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
A nice surprise just now, I thought I had Eau de Rochas but after taking the picture realized it's Eau de Roche, discontinued in 1956 and relaunched in 1970.

Yours has a cap I've never seen before. I thought they all had the "ice" caps. Yours also doesn't have quotation marks around the name, which I thought occurred on all the old ones. I wonder if that means yours is even older?

Mine looks like this and is 118ml:

EauDeRoche_mine_118ml.WithQuotationMarks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News