Vintage SOTD Thread for January 2022

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
eau-sauvage-jpg.181103
Classic! (y)

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
Annick Goutal Eau du Sud.

Pulled this out last night to wear today (I put this bottle in my bag as I knew I'd have to re spritz). It's been several years since I've worn it.

I've always struggled with this one. One would think it would be one of my faves, but for years I keep getting this 'celery seed' smell (maybe sage-ish, I'm not the best at describing smells), and something tart. I've had this bottle for about 9 years and it smells the same as when I first received it and I noticed that smell then, so I bought another vintage bottle (the smaller female bottle - yes I know, same juice), and I smelled that celery ish smell.

I think this will have to be put deep down in the 'historical' content of my collection. Maybe I will try to find the latest version and see if there is a difference. I remember one reason why I initially bought it was some reference to it reminding others of the original Eau Sauvage. Ive been an ES wearer since the mid 80s and this does not remind me of it. Maybe the key is several more sprays, as it is lunch time and I just put 5 spritzs on me (a rarity for me).

20220113_111113.jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
SOTE: Greenergy by Givenchy

Hednic's fragrances have all the best typefaces.

I've always struggled with this one. One would think it would be one of my faves, but for years I keep getting this 'celery seed' smell (maybe sage-ish, I'm not the best at describing smells), and something tart. I've had this bottle for about 9 years and it smells the same as when I first received it and I noticed that smell then, so I bought another vintage bottle (the smaller female bottle - yes I know, same juice), and I smelled that celery ish smell.

I get that celery note from Eau du Sud too, but fortunately for me I love it. I do agree, though, that people who compare it to Eau Sauvage are way off the mark. I think its closest relative is Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire -- which, by the way, you might want to try because it doesn't have that celery note.

Puma

Dec 7, 2013
Sounds like a cross between Nahema and a good Cuban cigar. How is it?
:LOL: I have to think of those cigars, too.

This is a true woody-spicy oriental. The chypre accord is also there. I wear it on cold winter days. Although it is only an Eau de Toilette, it is strong, but very refined. The opening is bright, with bergamot and lemon, which gives it a modern vibe. Then I get a wonderful blast of flowers without any sweetness (carnation, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine). The flowers are well blended, so I could not name single notes. Later on, the carnation gets more distinct. The spices, mainly coriander, and the woods (sandalwood, cedar) contain the flowers. The scent lifts me up, warms me, and makes me feel confident. It adds sunshine to an otherwise foggy and grey January day.

Nohiba is often compared to Opium, but it is much better. I have to stay away from Opium anyway, as I am allergic to Peru balsam. The longevity of Nohiba is monstrous, on my skin 14+ hours. I adore this perfume.

Last edited:

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Ma Griffe PdT today, from a mini. This is my second wearing, I got it a few weeks ago. I hadn't read a ton about it but fellow "green heads" who I can rely on for green recs have mentioned this a number of times. For some reason I thought that this was a snappy green number. It is, briefly, in the opening but Ma Griffe has a really nice semi-powdery/dusty floral musk base as well.

I don't think I'd wear it enough to go beyond a mini (long live vintage minis!) but the vintage stopper bottle presentation with the white & green diagonal striped box and the white cloth tag hanging from the neck of the bottle strike me as super classy and are a joy to look at. If I found one cheap enough, I'd get it just to look at and occasionally sniff. Love that style.

Rest of the crew are from earlier in the week. Opium PH EdP, Santal Noble, Theorema. Just for @Cook.bot, who I know loathes the MPeG caps, I tried to shield your eyes from it. But I think made it even uglier with an otherwise pretty Ma Griffe box on top. Like a bad xmas outfit.

IMG_0699 (1).jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Dana - Acapulco

I don't think you're missing all that much, but maybe it'll sneak its way into the next vintage swap, given its scarcity.

It's like seeing a ghost!

Bowling in the Green today with a newly acquired Sanofi backup

Is anyone besides me charmed by the rustic presentation of Bowling Green? The corrugated cardboard, the swatch of burlap over the cap; I just love that.

Ma Griffe PdT today, from a mini. This is my second wearing, I got it a few weeks ago. I hadn't read a ton about it but fellow "green heads" who I can rely on for green recs have mentioned this a number of times. For some reason I thought that this was a snappy green number. It is, briefly, in the opening but Ma Griffe has a really nice semi-powdery/dusty floral musk base as well.

I have a full ounce of Ma Griffe parfum from (I think) the 1940s. It's top notes are long gone, and it's dark as motor oil, but that green streak still cuts through its kitchen-sink floral middle. Not anything I love, but nice as a library item. It's box is virtually unchanged from your mini.

Just for @Cook.bot, who I know loathes the MPeG caps, I tried to shield your eyes from it. But I think made it even uglier with an otherwise pretty Ma Griffe box on top. Like a bad xmas outfit.

Ha! Such a thoughtful neighbor. I notice their vulgar jewel caps keep getting smaller with each bottle style revision, so maybe they'll disappear entirely one of these blessed days.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Parfum d'Hermès EDT (1984) by Raymond Chaillan, for the Friday Sync.

Anything with such a punchy galbanum/bergamot/aldehyde opening is bound to get my attention, but by mid-point this turns into very much a Ladies Who Lunch scent with a catchall floral body and too soft a resinous base to keep me sniffing. Was later reworked as Rouge d'Hermes.

During its more interesting phase it reminds me of a tamed version of vintage Safari. And I do like its metal canister with snakeprint red enamel.

ParfumDHermes_MetalCanister_45ml.jpg

Latest News