Vintage SOTD Thread for December 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021
Marbert Gentleman by Marbert.
(This beauty has been on my wantlist for a couple of years now. After only occasionally spotting little 5ml bottles which don't generally do it for me I did spy one larger bottle at a seemingly reasonable price with one little issue - it was in the Ukraine. Even without the current territorial dispute with Russia I tend to shy away from transactions with Eastern Europe based upon personal experience. But after a year without seeing another bottle (besides one ridiculously overpriced example from another Eastern European country) I finally could take it no more and negotiated a slightly better price from Ukraine. It arrived in about 2 weeks to my great joy.
The smell was just as I'd hoped it would be. An initial strong resemblance to Rogue's Chypre Siam greeted me. It's a pretty strong fragrance, opening a bit heavy but lightening up somewhat as it progressed. It's a green smell with notable lemon, bergamot, galbanum, aldehydes and tarragon up top. All the while a civet and patchouli paint the background. In the middle it becomes a bit woody with cypress and cedar and vetiver among florals from rose, geranium and jasmine.
In the base there's a light castoreum leather note along with moss, musk, frankincense and labdanum.
I really love this stuff and wonder if the newer and more accessible version in the blocky, rectangular bottle is similar? I've heard strong arguments both ways. I tend to think it probably isn't up to the quality of this version however I will say that thus far the house of Marbert has never let me down. I may have to take a chance on that later version at some point because I've kinda gotta know...)

20221206_131246.jpg

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
IMG_7021.jpg
Excellent vintage selection!

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
What's the Hechter like?

I certainly know the brand, I have some Daniel Hechter clothes from the 80's but not familiar with this fragrance.
I’m going to go with Basenoter Colbourne’s review of this:

To me, this is an atypical, unusual, unique but very pleasant take on a clean fresh barbershop type fragrance. The opening is kind of a lot but it mellows out very nicely shortly after application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...