Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
SOTD
dd90adb7effee13864f9fb8df5a343f4.jpg

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Love the stuff - real No. 5, and another one that is completely unisex, the florals being so toned down by comparison to the real animalic, classic base.

Easily my favourite version :). The No 5 dna is definitely there but this is an altogether different beast due to the civet and musk. For an EDC the performance is astounding (y)

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
For the Friday Sync, the most hairy-chested masculine I own:

Parfum d'Habit (1988) by Jean Laporte for Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I take this name literally and only wear it on the cuffs and tails of my shirt. It scares me a little. Just read the reviews, they'll scare you, too. Although I've never smelled the most recent version, the newer bottle is a definite aesthetic improvement over the ugliness of my 2nd-gen red bottle.

ParfumDHabit_MPG_2ndVersion.jpg

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
You find Gentleman (you have the vintage, no?) a hard wear by today’s standards? I am myself interested in that one, it was released in my birth year but it will be a buy of a bottle of the current I believe, if so.
Mine is definitely of the original formulation (1984) and don’t think it is a safe blindbuy. It has a piercing sharp note that persists for hours. It is not a terrible fragrance, just not what I was expecting. Not sure if an overload of patchouli or the honey/ rose/ citrus combo creates the sharpness.

I do love stuff like vintage formulations of Kouros, Bel Ami, Antaeus, VC&A PH, Paco Rabanne etc. They will probably all be regarded as heavy & polarising fragrances by many.

I will keep on wearing the Givenchy and sometimes old vintages seem to improve over time after being opened for the first time in decades. I am glad it is only a 60 ml and I don’t think I will repurchase it though. I wonder if a more modern formulation (1990s) would’ve been more to my liking.

Last edited:

Jan1510

May 25, 2020
Let's hope so. You might decipher that old tune, eventually, and reveal a rarely trodden beautiful path, ie. its creator's vision 😉
I definitely seem to be missing something as it is generally highly regarded by many. 😂

I usually first read as many reviews possible before I make a blindbuy purchase. Unfortunately it is not possible for me to test most of these vintages, or to get a decant, due to me being based in SA. I am very happy with most of what I got so far though.

Should I change my mind over time or discover something new, I will surely contact you. From what I have gathered is that Givenchy seem to have changed the formulations of Gentleman quite drastically each time, not just small tweaks like with other houses.

The members on BN are extremely helpful though and these forums contain a wealth of knowledge about anything you might need to know more of.

Alex F.

Nov 29, 2019
Mine is definitely of the original formulation (1984) and don’t think it is a safe blindbuy. It has a piercing sharp note that persists for hours. It is not a terrible fragrance, just not what I was expecting. Not sure if an overliad of patchouli or the honey/ rose/ citrus combo creates the sharpness.

I do love stuff like vintage formulations of Kouros, Bel Ami, Antaeus, VC&A PH, Paco Rabanne etc. They will probably all be regarded as heavy/ polarising fragrances.

I will keep on wearing the Givenchy and sometimes old vintages seem to improve over time after being opened for the first time in decades. I am glad it is only a 60 ml and I don’t think I will repurchase it though. I wonder if a more modern formulation (1990s) would’ve been more to my liking. .
Let's hope so. You might decipher that old tune, eventually, and reveal a rarely trodden beautiful path, ie. its creator's vision 😉

Givenchy Gentleman was one of the first vintage fragrances I bought. It was an acquired taste. That seems to be the rule rather than the exception for me, as I don't remember any of my pre-90s vintages as a love at first sniff. But now, I wouldn't part with any of them.
They are much more complex than modern fragrances and there's usually a lot to discover about them as the hours (and, if you spray them on a piece of tissue paper or cloth, even days) pass. Maybe that's what takes some getting used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News