Vintage SOTD Thread for April 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali AD

Nov 26, 2017
Jade is a German cosmetics company whose products can be found until today in drugstores. It has nothing to do with the green semi-precious stones found frequently in China.

Ali AD: I have never seen "Der Mann" by Jade as I never bought German scents, so I am curious to know how you like it.

Hey Puma!

It's an amazing old school aromatic fougere. Basil and Artemesia are quite prominent. I believe it was released in the early 80s and I find it quite similar to vintage Marbert Man, Bogart and to a certain extent, classic Aramis. Impressive performance as well. Sadly, discontinued as far as I know.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Givenchy III
375x500.1962.jpg

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
Dupont Pour Homme.
(Criminally obscure woody, smoky chypre. Nice citrus and lavender opening and wonderful oakmoss and sandalwood throughout. Base is leathery/musky. Performance is above average. Smells of decades past in a good way. A delight!)

View attachment 207838
Another unknown scent to me ! Thanks for putting it at my sight !

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
A vintage sample decant atomizer of Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel from a generous basenoter - thank you!

I grew up in a town with a Geoffrey Beene outlet store and this smells like how I remember smelling it there as a young lad, however, I doubt they had the earliest formulations. I'm not sure which vintage version this decant is from but man this is strong stuff! The powerful florals in this are causing my nose to tickle and head to ache. Sorry legend but I don't think it's going to work out between us.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
A vintage sample decant atomizer of Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel from a generous basenoter - thank you!

I grew up in a town with a Geoffrey Beene outlet store and this smells like how I remember smelling it there as a young lad, however, I doubt they had the earliest formulations. I'm not sure which vintage version this decant is from but man this is strong stuff! The powerful florals in this are causing my nose to tickle and head to ache. Sorry legend but I don't think it's going to work out between us.

awwww, how disappointing. Mr. Beene won't be happy.

D

Deleted member 26220441

VdN edt.jpg VdN extrait.jpg
A side by side comparison with the new EDT bottle and some vintage Vol de Nuit - there's no getting past the fact that the new versions are missing something in the mid and base, a mix of real animalics, oakmoss and some of the florals (narcissus/carnation?) in the old parfum just don't show in quite the same way. This isn't just the older extrait having muted top notes - it's laden with them, and gorgeous galbanum, narcissus, and jasmine and a general richness or thickness that is hard to describe. The modern edt leans far more to the violety, powdery, doughy L'Heure Bleue side of things (more orris?) and lacks some of the green edge . For those who subscribe to the theory that formula codes are important, the formula code for the new Les Legendaires EDT is 07704 and is identical to that on the previous Bee Bottle version (2018) which I also own. Smelled side by side today there really isn't any great discernable difference between them, although I know others would contest this strongly - it could be no more than one being a few years older. The big undeniable difference is with the vintage parfum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

. .