Vintage powerhouse alternatives?

Sep 11, 2021
Greetings guys, this is my first post :)

The title says itself. As of 2021, what alternatives are there to some vintage powerhouse from the 80s and 70s? By vintage powerhouse I mean Quorum, One Man Show and Bijan, as well as related chypre/ fougeres such as Dior Jules, Azzaro PH, VCA PH/ Tsar, Aramis PH etc.?

I've tried Chypre Palatin, Sartorial and Dia PH, but find them too pricey sophisticated and sweet. I'm looking for something more affordable, in-your-face and macho.

Thanks for the replies! :)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Welcome to you khenosis! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes! :smiley: Perhaps check out the offerings from the house of Montale.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Patchouli Intense by Nicolai.

A little more of a stretch, but Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre de d’Orange.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Welcome!

Among the survivors, I'd say Kouros and Yatagan are still good in their current incarnation. (there is also a cheap dupe for Kouros called Milton Lloyd the man silver which is actually acceptable).

More examples in expensive niche. But, alas, expensive.

cacio

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Ralph Lauren Polo
Azzaro Pour Homme

Both are still excellent as is and as macho as it comes!

Jovoy Private Label
Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme
Dior Fahrenheit
Boucheron Pour Homme
Guerlain Heritage
Floris 1962
Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017

All are worth a try there are many more this category in fragrances is not dead just not everyone’s first choice.

Sep 11, 2021
Thank you guys for the awesome response! I concur that the reformulated Yatagan Azzaro and esp. Antaeus are not shabby at all. (I should have mentioned New York.) The rest of them I'm not familiar at all. I'll start with R&G as it is more affordable and easier to get. Thanks again! :)

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Giorgio Beverly Hills, both men's fragrances are pretty much Spot on for in your face, excellent value in current form and old school vibes. Still manage to keep a bit of fun in there too. Red for Men and Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. Go easy!

+1 Bogart Signature.
Flipping good this. Keeps it pretty solid, no frills, stiff leather. Yet doesn't get too boisterous. Describe recently by a colleague (non frag person) as 'this'll put hairs on your chest'

+ 1 Azzaro PH

Very wearable still if you get what I mean.

Kouros crosses the line for me. Hehe.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Open Black by Roger & Gallet

This right here.

Also R&G Open still fits the bill.

Maybe look at Tom Ford Beau de Jour, although affordability might be an issue there.

I agree with these. I was just sniffing Open and Open Black the other day and thought to myself that I should wear them more. Great inexpensive releases!

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Wishing you a warm welcome and acknowledging as well as seconding the many great recommendations already mentioned.

Also adding and/or seconding current Duc de Vervins, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Franck Boclet Tobacco, Coty Preferred Stock, Khaliji by Al Rehab, most curent Marbert masculines, as alternatives to the fougere tocacco, Knize Ten for the leathery, Creed BDP among the resinous floral chypre alternative options, LM black Oud if willing to go for a more updated, untypically exotic while still downright dark and powerhouse option.

Each of there in the respective current formulation (s) therefore not being limited/relegated to paying outrageously overpriced costs demanded by Ebay and further vintage retailers.

Last edited:

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
For "in-your-face and macho" look at Costume National Homme, Amouage Interlude, Jovoy Private Label (already mentioned), Eau Sauvage Parfum among others.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Some great suggestions here. I'll throw in Aramis Havana, Jovan Sex Appeal, Agua Brava, Jaguar for Men, CdG Zagorsk and Bond No. 9 Great Jones. Maybe even Nishane Unutamam, which is a masterpiece with something of an aromatic retro aspect.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I agree with these. I was just sniffing Open and Open Black the other day and thought to myself that I should wear them more. Great inexpensive releases!

Blimey yes!
Open black is some mad bad old school joos ! How'd you guys find it performs. I mean post big opening? I feel it cools down quick. Still some banging vibes.

Great thread, love this genre!

Latest posts

Latest News