Vintage Obsession for Men | Basenotes

Vintage Obsession for Men

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
I have a real hankering for a vintage bottle of Obsession for men, I've not had a bottle for at least 10 years maybe more. I used to love wearing it at Uni back in the early 90's. Just found this on ebay (and bought it), won't arrive for a few weeks but I think it looks as I remember it. This is the splash on EDT:

s-l1600.jpg

Anyone else still using the vintage stuff?

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
I wore in in the early 90s and have a bottle of the vintage. Not worn it for a while but think I might do so tomorrow...

Enjoy the experience ! Do report back here on the your wearing. I hope the one I got is real will update when it arrives, glad to see someone still appreciates the old juice.

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
I've been looking on and off for a vintage bottle from the 1980's (especially the spray version). I haven't been able to find it. I gave up. Been using the modern stuff.

I was lucky enough to find this on my first attempt, having said that I won't believe it until I have the genuine bottle in my hands lol. What's the new stuff like? It can't be as good as the old juice, can it?

Congrats on getting something that you remember fondly from an earlier time. :thumbsup:

Thanks hednic..... aye ! Great days they were! So many memories of wearing this EDT. Though, I have a feeling, in my youth I may have over-sprayed... a tad! Ha! People could probably smell me before I entered the room, especially with Obsession. :laugh:

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I was lucky enough to find this on my first attempt, having said that I won't believe it until I have the genuine bottle in my hands lol. What's the new stuff like? It can't be as good as the old juice, can it?

Thanks hednic..... aye ! Great days they were! So many memories of wearing this EDT. Though, I have a feeling, in my youth I may have over-sprayed... a tad! Ha! People could probably smell me before I entered the room, especially with Obsession. :laugh:

I haven't smelled the vintage stuff in decades. So I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the modern vintage smells good to me. I was only wanting a vintage so I could be sure I had the best version possible. Many people say the original 80's vintage is more powerful.

ripjean

Feb 9, 2014
Found this on ebay for less than £20 recently. Pretty sure it is first formulation and is beast mode! Great juice. (not sure why the photo is not orientating properly!)

20180411_195355.jpg

Richie_B

Jun 2, 2005
Found this on ebay for less than £20 recently. Pretty sure it is first formulation and is beast mode! Great juice. (not sure why the photo is not orientating properly!)

View attachment 81154

Can't say that it is definitely late-80's, but earlier than late-90's it seems, as it has the integrated sprayer (easiest way to tell). I have a bottle that is pre-2010 it seems...excellent stuff, but near halfway gone. Ripjean, what you got there is a gem. OP, your score is good, too....looks like pre-2010 which is nice. Latest version is OK, but has lost some "oomph"...

ripjean

Feb 9, 2014
Can't say that it is definitely late-80's, but earlier than late-90's it seems, as it has the integrated sprayer (easiest way to tell). I have a bottle that is pre-2010 it seems...excellent stuff, but near halfway gone. Ripjean, what you got there is a gem. OP, your score is good, too....looks like pre-2010 which is nice. Latest version is OK, but has lost some "oomph"...

Thanks Richie_B. The only reason I think it may be first formulation is that it says "Cologne Spray" on the bottle which was changed to "eau de toilette" a bit later. This is not definate, just information I have gleaned from other threads. Either way, I am pretty happy with it.

The Lorax

Jul 14, 2017
Yes, I am using vintage. My bottle seems to be so old that the batch code does not show up on Check Fresh or Cosmetic Check.

I bought it a few years back at a rummage sale in Northern Minnesota. I didn't pay any more than $5 for it.

Also wore it in 86 and throughout the 80's and early 90's. Talk about a powerhouse, sheesh.

To me your bottle looks quite old. Happy for you, we'll done. :)

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I had posted a recent topic about obsession..
The current version doesn't smell anything like the classic version I had in the 90's.. that was so rich and it smelled amazing.

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
Congratulations and enjoy! Although personally no vintage expert/connoisseur, not even by a huge stretch of imagination, have a few fond personal and quite subjective experiences with this particular formulation of this fragrance.

Thank you, I'm far from an expert myself but am looking forward to that enveloping scent around me again.

I haven't smelled the vintage stuff in decades. So I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the modern vintage smells good to me. I was only wanting a vintage so I could be sure I had the best version possible. Many people say the original 80's vintage is more powerful.

I've never tried the newer version but the old one certainly was powerful stuff!

Congrats. I have a bottle (spray) that I've owned for about 12 years or so. Great stuff in my book.

Found this on ebay for less than £20 recently. Pretty sure it is first formulation and is beast mode! Great juice.

That's a great pickup at a bargain price, gratz !

OP, your score is good, too....looks like pre-2010 which is nice. Latest version is OK, but has lost some "oomph"...

Can't wait to receive it :coolold:

Yes, I am using vintage. My bottle seems to be so old that the batch code does not show up on Check Fresh or Cosmetic Check.

I bought it a few years back at a rummage sale in Northern Minnesota. I didn't pay any more than $5 for it.

Also wore it in 86 and throughout the 80's and early 90's. Talk about a powerhouse, sheesh.

To me your bottle looks quite old. Happy for you, we'll done. :)

Thanks, wow $5 !! Great pick up :thumbsup:

I had posted a recent topic about obsession..
The current version doesn't smell anything like the classic version I had in the 90's.. that was so rich and it smelled amazing.

Agree that the old one I remember was rich, smooth and luscious. Hopefully will be with me in a week or so.

Palmolive

May 7, 2012
Whilst being a totally different scent (but still imparting a similar vibe) I'd highly recommend checking out Meharées by L`Erbolario is you enjoy the vintage Obsession flex because it has a lot in common with the note profile but smells more modern and a whole load better plus its an absolute bargain.

mikesc

Dec 24, 2011
Vintage Obsession still one of my all time favorites. I'm sure the memories are part of it. I grabbed a few bottles when I could. New formulation is quite transparent. Still not bad, but only just a small reminder of the vintage.

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
Whilst being a totally different scent (but still imparting a similar vibe) I'd highly recommend checking out Meharées by L`Erbolario is you enjoy the vintage Obsession flex because it has a lot in common with the note profile but smells more modern and a whole load better plus its an absolute bargain.

Thanks, I've never heard of it but will check it out now, sounds great!

Vintage Obsession still one of my all time favorites. I'm sure the memories are part of it. I grabbed a few bottles when I could. New formulation is quite transparent. Still not bad, but only just a small reminder of the vintage.

Yep I'm sure memories are a large part of it but have read from various threads how the newer version pales in comparison.

mikesc

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks, I've never heard of it but will check it out now, sounds great!

Yep I'm sure memories are a large part of it but have read from various threads how the newer version pales in comparison.

Yes you would only buy the new release as a last resort.

ripjean

Feb 9, 2014
That's the one I'm looking for. Everytime I've searched ebay I've never seen it.

Yes - when I received it I noticed the Cologne Spray and was unsure as I had only really looked at the FOR MEN in capitals as the clue it was vintage. I think it was one your threads I read that alerted me to the fact that it was possibly first formulation juice. Keep looking and hopefully one will turn up at a decent price

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
Bit of an update - this has arrived from abroad and.....
It smells Really REALLY BAD!!
It's gone off I'd say, perhaps not stored properly. Currently trying to sort this out through ebay (not holding out much hope!)

On the bright side I've ordered a bottle Meharees to try (thanks for the suggestion Palm) hopefully that will arrive soon - just hope I like it :laugh:

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Bit of an update - this has arrived from abroad and.....
It smells Really REALLY BAD!!
It's gone off I'd say, perhaps not stored properly. Currently trying to sort this out through ebay (not holding out much hope!)

On the bright side I've ordered a bottle Meharees to try (thanks for the suggestion Palm) hopefully that will arrive soon - just hope I like it :laugh:

Just buy the modern formulation. It's good IMO. I enjoy it. The initial opening is a bit different then after 20 mins it smells like Obsession for Men to me. The very first opening while the fragrance is damp/wet is the only thing that the modern formula seems to have gotten a bit wrong, but after that it's got the scent I remember. An intact vintage should, according to reports, have much more 'punch' and projection. (Although I really don't have any issues for performance on the modern version TBH.)

CesareBorgia

Jun 22, 2012
Another one to try would be Guerlain Habit Rouge. I have the latest parfum version, and I think it has a similar vibe to a 2000 bottle of Obsession that I recently sold; not exactly the same fragrance, but, for me, it scratches the same itch as it's the same genre. The Obsession I had was in very good shape, but it wasn't the power house I had hoped it would be. You probably have to get into the early 90's and before stuff to get the real "vintage Obsession experience," and then, as you found out, the condition of the juice can be a little bit of a crap shoot. I think you need to have a little patience and have to be at least a little driven to collect vintage perfumes. Being a little lazy and not that particular, I just as soon stay with what's easily available today. Good luck with your quest!

Thorien

Mar 16, 2018
Just buy the modern formulation. It's good IMO. I enjoy it. The initial opening is a bit different then after 20 mins it smells like Obsession for Men to me. The very first opening while the fragrance is damp/wet is the only thing that the modern formula seems to have gotten a bit wrong, but after that it's got the scent I remember. An intact vintage should, according to reports, have much more 'punch' and projection. (Although I really don't have any issues for performance on the modern version TBH.)

I may well do that, at least give it a try or get a sample maybe first.

Another one to try would be Guerlain Habit Rouge. I have the latest parfum version, and I think it has a similar vibe to a 2000 bottle of Obsession that I recently sold; not exactly the same fragrance, but, for me, it scratches the same itch as it's the same genre. The Obsession I had was in very good shape, but it wasn't the power house I had hoped it would be. You probably have to get into the early 90's and before stuff to get the real "vintage Obsession experience," and then, as you found out, the condition of the juice can be a little bit of a crap shoot. I think you need to have a little patience and have to be at least a little driven to collect vintage perfumes. Being a little lazy and not that particular, I just as soon stay with what's easily available today. Good luck with your quest!

Have to admit have never tried HR, maybe a sample of that one is in order also. Thanks and after this experience I think I'll leave some things in the past...

bluemmb1

Dec 20, 2014
Hello Folks! Please Help needed.
I just bought a vintage 125 ml c.k cosmethic 20190307_144650.jpg 20190307_144716.jpg 20190307_144716.jpg bottle.
Now, here comes the point:
In the back part there is a small sticker which says factise/dummy. But the funny thing is that it smells well. I mean, it smell obsession for men. I don't think it smells as powerful as my early Coty version, but people around say it carries well. definitely doesn't smell water. The fragrance is obsession. So, I'm quiet bewildered at the moment. I don't know if I should give it back or keep it.
Any help would be hugely appreciated. 20190307_144708.jpg

Last edited:

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
When I hear "Obsession" being referred to as a "vintage fragrance" it makes me feel exactly the same way as when I hear songs from the '80's and '90's being called "oldies" or "retro." XD ;)

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
I just bought a vintage 125 ml c.k cosmethic View attachment 97985 View attachment 97986 View attachment 97986 bottle.
In the back part there is a small sticker which says factise/dummy. But the funny thing is that it smells well. I mean, it smell obsession for men. I don't think it smells as powerful as my early Coty version, but people around say it carries well. definitely doesn't smell water. The fragrance is obsession. So, I'm quiet bewildered at the moment. I don't know if I should give it back or keep it.
Any help would be hugely appreciated. View attachment 97987

Never heard of that before! Please update if you find something new about what happened.

Hothamwater

Apr 25, 2012
I just bought a vintage 125 ml c.k cosmethic bottle.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.

^Often the factices have the actual juice in them. Even the huge ones. Sounds like you got the real deal and shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

oceansoflorewi

Feb 8, 2020
Bump!

Has no one figured out the technicality of batch codes yet? Been searching and no clarification on the nerdy fragrance blogs. This is something our community should have mastered by now lol. Surprised I can't find the answers on such a classic.

I have a CK Cosmetics (Not Coty) 3 bottles; M292, L134, & B024A. The first one is the built in atomizer vintage so I was assuming the '92' meant 1992 - but then this pattern doesn't reflect on the other 2 batch codes. Unsure as to why the last batch has 5 digits as it looks identical to the L134 batch!

Can anyone actually help without lazy non-chalant it is what it is type responses? o_0

Whoever runs raiders of the lost scent is also lazy in my opinion - so many vintages not covered. Smh.

yourthemannowdog

Jan 22, 2021
its very hard pin pointing the year each bottle was made because the info on the batch codes are not online or released by ck . that doesn't mean its a 1992 bottle ive got built in sprayer bottles batch codes that end in letters and some in numbers so thats out the window for that .
i forgot which year they reformulated it but 92 was about the last year of the built in sprayers i think remember reading . all the splash and sprayers colognes and edts ive owned from the caps lock FOR MEN bottles all smell the about same . the next batches the ck Cosmetics & Unilever batches small caps bottles lasted up to around 93 to 2002 these don't all smell the same i noticed at least 2 different reformulations between those years maybe 3 to my noise there was alot of differences .. then there those horrible coty batches somewhere from 02 to current /

david

Jun 7, 2005
Contact whoever owns the brand Calvin Klein. Surely they will be able to help regarding batch codes (?)

Latest News