vintage monsieur by givenchy?

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hello guys, im planning to buy a vintage monsieur.
I've found these from a private seller, can you tell me more about the year? is these a real vintage? from what year more or less? woth the buying?
thanks!

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
View attachment 294451 View attachment 294450

Hello guys, im planning to buy a vintage Gentleman.
I've found these from a private seller, can you tell me more about the year? is these a real vintage? from what year more or less? woth the buying?
thanks!

That’s a “real vintage,” though recent enough to have an “e-mark” for volume. And it’s really Givenchy—but it’s not Givenchy Gentleman. Monsieur de Givenchy is a different scent—Givenchy’s first masculine, predating Gentleman by 15 years.

Worth getting, but not it you have your heart set on something else.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
sorry guys, i've confused the perfumes...
so, these is a real vintage monsieur, can you indentify the year?

Precisely from just those pics? No. However, the e-mark was introduced in 1976, so it’s after that. And although you don’t identify the seller, I found their listing, and they state that it has no barcode, so that means before 1989. (FYI, I’ve purchased from this seller and been very happy.)

Without a batch code or other identifying information, it’s hard if not impossible to be more precise than 1976–1989. However, I believe the 55ml volume (as opposed to an even 60ml) indicates the earlier part of that range.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Precisely from just those pics? No. However, the e-mark was introduced in 1976, so it’s after that. And although you don’t identify the seller, I found their listing, and they state that it has no barcode, so that means before 1989. (FYI, I’ve purchased from this seller and been very happy.)

Without a batch code or other identifying information, it’s hard if not impossible to be more precise than 1976–1989. However, I believe the 55ml volume (as opposed to an even 60ml) indicates the earlier part of that range.
thanks mate!

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021

im again here in order to ask another suggestion :)
i have found these bottle, i think before 1980, correct? could you date it more precisely? is a good batch??
1664477274499.png 1664477322190.png 1664477337026.png

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
“Good” is always a matter of opinion, but it looks to be 1970s (batch code suggests 1971, according to Raiders), which is generally considered desirable by vintage hounds.
only problem is that these seller have no feed ....
do you think the color of the juice and the level are correct or alterated??
1664522647163.png 1664522665169.png

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
If it were me I probably would hold off from a purchase from a seller with no feedback, no need to take a risky gamble.
right.. that's the why i still havent buy nothing...
todai i have found another seller, with many positive feed and he hase Gentleman and Monsieur so i could buy them both in vintage version...
as soon he will send me photos i will publish them here in order to receive some suggestion from you possibly :)

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
i've found these bottle guys... if im right, should be a really early version of Monsieur, right? about 1960-1970 more or less..
i have a question...
the seller told me that these bottle are spray with gas, is correct? Do they really have gas insiede? are pressurized? may accour some problem with these kind of old bottles?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 8

Jean-Sté

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2021
i've found these bottle guys... if im right, should be a really early version of Monsieur, right? about 1960-1970 more or less..
i have a question...
the seller told me that these bottle are spray with gas, is correct? Do they really have gas insiede? are pressurized? may accour some problem with these kind of old bottles?
Yes, they are pressurized. They are atomizers, which means there is a propellant gas inside.
I already had some problems with atomizers (not working well), so I ask the seller to test the bottle with a single spray before buying. if the bottle works well, I buy.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Yes, they are pressurized. They are atomizers, which means there is a propellant gas inside.
I already had some problems with atomizers (not working well), so I ask the seller to test the bottle with a single spray before buying. if the bottle works well, I buy.
so it doesnt work without propellent?

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
Givenchy Gentleman and Monsieur de Givenchy are two different scents. The first two pictures are Givenchy Gentleman's boxes, the latter is Monsieur Givenchy.
correct, i have deleted other pics because are of pressurized bottle that i dont wanto, could you date these in photo ? are good years for a "vintage" ?

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
These are from within the same time window as the first box you posted. They should be good.

If you want older but without propellant, consider shopping for a vintage splash bottle.
i would like to buy the oldest i can find, the problem is that i cannot find a proper guide just for gentleman and monsieur, i only have the Riders guide to Givenchy

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
i would like to buy the oldest i can find, the problem is that i cannot find a proper guide just for gentleman and monsieur, i only have the Raiders guide to Givenchy

The Raiders guide is quite useful. You just have to combine it with the more general notes about dating vintages: the presence or absence of e-marks, bar codes, EMB codes, long ingredient lists, UTIF/UTF, °/%, and so on. All I’m doing to date bottles is relying on whatever I can discern from these indicators.

For starters, you should look for boxes that don’t have an e-mark. That will eliminate a lot of bottles that aren’t as old as what you want.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
The Raiders guide is quite useful. You just have to combine it with the more general notes about dating vintages: the presence or absence of e-marks, bar codes, EMB codes, long ingredient lists, UTIF/UTF, °/%, and so on. All I’m doing to date bottles is relying on whatever I can discern from these indicators.

For starters, you should look for boxes that don’t have an e-mark. That will eliminate a lot of bottles that aren’t as old as what you want.
thank you! i will continue to search and i case i will post here before to buy :)

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
my last discovery guys!
monsieur should be from '70, considerating tht there isn't the EMB code, right? 0726 is the batch
gentleman should be from '80s, considerating the presence of EMB code, right? F80293 is the batch
i dont like that they're both splah but amen, that's what i've found..
what do you think about?? the price should be 300€ for both two...is a fair price?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05 (1).jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05 (2).jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.05.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06 (1).jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06 (2).jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-04 at 11.38.06.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6

promoco

Feb 22, 2016

From Fragantica via Uncle Google:

- Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Monsieur de Givenchy was launched in 1959. The nose behind this fragrance is Francis Fabron. Top notes are Lemon, Carnation, Pepper and Cinnamon; middle notes are Lemon Verbena and Lavender; base notes are Oakmoss, Sandalwood and Musk.

- Gentleman Eau de Parfum by Givenchy is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Gentleman Eau de Parfum was launched in 2018. Gentleman Eau de Parfum was created by Olivier Cresp and Nathalie Lorson. Top notes are Black Pepper, Lavender and Bergamot; middle notes are Orris, Cloves and Cinnamon; base notes are Black Vanilla Husk, Tolu Balsam, Tonka Bean, Benzoin and Patchouli.

One year after the launch of the modern version of Gentleman Givenchy comes out its new Eau de Parfum edition. Gentleman Givenchy from 2017 is a reinterpretation of the original from the '70s, adapted to the modern man. The face of the perfume is English actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

The new Gentleman Eau de Parfum is created by Olivier Cresp and Nathalie Lorson from Firmenich. In the new fragrant pyramid, there are notes of black pepper, lavender, orris, patchouli and black vanilla.

The fragrance is available as a 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

- The new Gentleman Eau de Parfum is created by Olivier Cresp and Nathalie Lorson from Firmenich. In the new fragrant pyramid, there are notes of black pepper, lavender, orris, patchouli and black vanilla. The fragrance is available as a 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

- When was Givenchy Gentleman first made?
- Gentleman (1974) by Givenchy is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Gentleman (1974) was launched in 1974.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...