Vintage fragrance I bought today

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
EdH.jpg
Well having almost given up hope of every seeing it, and the whole saga rather putting me off the whole perfume game for good, I finally got my hands on an eBay purchase that I made many months ago. The bottle is a 1990 bottling, from the time when Eau d'Hermès was pretty much a boutique exclusive, this one has a personalised engraving. It's even more beautiful than I had expected, it purrs along on the skin with far more subtle spicing than the current iteration, a warm hum of animalic notes underpinning the whole composition.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
Just got this tester from a danish site.
7d55678e46bddb12cd78d73e2e4a1e45.jpg

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
View attachment 161463
Well having almost given up hope of every seeing it, and the whole saga rather putting me off the whole perfume game for good, I finally got my hands on an eBay purchase that I made many months ago. The bottle is a 1990 bottling, from the time when Eau d'Hermès was pretty much a boutique exclusive, this one has a personalised engraving. It's even more beautiful than I had expected, it purrs along on the skin with far more subtle spicing than the current iteration, a warm hum of animalic notes underpinning the whole composition.
Congrats! My wife bought me one of those, and I agree that it’s amazing.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Oh. So. Jealous.

This is really the only thing on my perfume bucket list. Well, that and another 200ml bottle of Sycomore EDT. Some day!

Just out of curiosity: what does yours say on its personalized engraving?

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Well, it's the wraparound label, so shouldn't be bad at all! (That is, going by what I've read. I only have a 1993 wraparound bottle and a current "Originale" one myself - and all I can personally attest to is that they smell different.)

Thanks, Motorcade !

View attachment 161522

A 70's masterpiece - completely uncompromising, aldehydic, floral, animalic, incense-laden, leathery goodness.

I'm looking for this one. Congratulations !

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Not the best as Marand's, but I think it's very good - at least, to my nose !

View attachment 161518

I'm conflicted. I have a bias in favor of older versions, and despite that, I've been going for this second version recently. The older version comes across comparatively woody, to me, which I like, but this version is like a leather purse with makeup and a perfume travel spray inside.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
I'm conflicted. I have a bias in favor of older versions, and despite that, I've been going for this second version recently. The older version comes across comparatively woody, to me, which I like, but this version is like a leather purse with makeup and a perfume travel spray inside.

Do you mean you like both versions because they smell different, but nevertheless very good ?

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Do you mean you like both versions because they smell different, but nevertheless very good ?

Sure. There is something different with the second version, but it doesn't smell to me like ingredient restrictions or cost cutting. I think they believed they were improving it. Sort of like when car companies change a car's body style. Or add air conditioning, Givenchy might argue.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020

Do you happen to know if the black collar is a sign of a later production? In my 1993 splash the collar is transparent, but I'm not sure if the splashes always were that way and only the sprays ever had a black collar.

Avecesar

Nov 16, 2011

I agree with Bavard and have the same bias. Both versions are really excellent but there is a - very small - difference in smell between the bottles shown on my pic.

IMG_7361.jpg

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Not the best as Marand's, but I think it's very good - at least, to my nose !

View attachment 161518
I'm glad to see more Givenchy Gentleman being purchased by others here. A true gem.

View attachment 161522
I like how these older bottles come with paperwork.

A 70's masterpiece - completely uncompromising, aldehydic, floral, animalic, incense-laden, leathery goodness.

This big bottle arrived about a week ago. Needed to have plenty of back up. :smiley:

G29WsyX.jpg
Enjoy in good health. I saw another bottle pop up this week for a great price, decided to pursue since I have too much of it myself.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Do you happen to know if the black collar is a sign of a later production? In my 1993 splash the collar is transparent, but I'm not sure if the splashes always were that way and only the sprays ever had a black collar.

I think the black collar came later.

I tried backing up the Chanel No. 5 "Perfume" I like, but even though they have to be within about 10 years of each other, based on my research, they're surprisingly different.

The first one, lighter colored, almost full, smells a lot like L'Heure Bleue to me and the one I just got, darker, half full, seems a lot like Chanel No. 22.

IMG_6411.jpg

Jules likes the first one, luckily, and even though she likes No. 22, she didn't like her first try with this new No. 5.

Staff online

Latest News