Vintage fragrance I bought today

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I got a bottle of Chanel No. 46, but it won’t open.

You simply must get that open because I'm dying to hear what it smells like.

Have you tried the freezer method, and then wrapping the stopper in a rubber band and gently rocking it over a period of time?

There's a zillion different suggestions here on BN for methods.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Blind buy for both, since Open was highly noted (and cheap to buy), and Courrèges came in a sealed box, even less pricey than Open. Open (which is a splash bottle) smells divine.

OpenBottleBox.jpg

CourregesHommeBox.jpg

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
You simply must get that open because I'm dying to hear what it smells like.

Have you tried the freezer method, and then wrapping the stopper in a rubber band and gently rocking it over a period of time?

There's a zillion different suggestions here on BN for methods.

I, too, want to hear what this one smells like!!

That makes three of us :smiley:

No luck so far. I've added a rubber band to the ritual of trying to open it. The freezer trick had worked for the other stuck glass stoppers I've had like this.

Deleanu

Aug 13, 2015
No luck so far. I've added a rubber band to the ritual of trying to open it. The freezer trick had worked for the other stuck glass stoppers I've had like this.

Do the freezer trick like 3-4 times and then let it be for like 1 week and try to open!

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Sep 28, 2015

Yeah Freezer trick has worked for me in the past.
Once though I had to use alcohol too (pour some alcohol on the seal where stopper sits and then put it in the freezer. Alcohol dissolves the gunk)

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah Freezer trick has worked for me in the past.
Once though I had to use alcohol too (pour some alcohol on the seal where stopper sits and then put it in the freezer. Alcohol dissolves the gunk)

Also, just letting it sit near the computer or TV or anywhere you normally sit for a few minutes, and picking it up every few hours and spend several minutes just gently rocking the top in all directions. Mine have all just eventually quietly popped out.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
AramisCologneBottleBox.jpg

MonsieurHoubigantAfterShaveBottleBox.jpg

I smelled both current Aramis and this one Cologne on paper; Cologne is much more smooth. I'll try it on skin ASAP.

Monsieur Houbigant is a blind buy; I've never heard of it. It smells great ! I'll try it ASAP, too.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, Stern/Sanofi. Thankfully perfectly preserved and smells absolutely lovely (first time I'm smelling it). Classy, not loud yet dense with the moss, warm and comforting.

20210910_192519.jpg

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018
I couldn't resist getting this classic Eau de Cologne for a song. 100ml 4711 EdC in sealed box. 1970s, maybe. Initially the box drew me in. Love the dreamy, christmasy layout.
fe6198d8a09bad735aaf3612757dc9cc.jpg

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
MonsieurHoubigantAfterShaveBottleBox.jpg

Monsieur Houbigant smells really, really nice. Yesterday, I found and bought the Eau de Cologne on ebay (Europe, still 5 remaining, if someone's interested); I'll let you know how it smells, if anybody is interested. Too bad there isn't a topic about this one...but I know the site is in mutation, so new entries for scents are not a priority, which is absolutely normal.

EDIT is it mint I can detect after a few hours ? if so, it's a very refined and fresh mint, not overwhelming at all, not "toothpaste"...discreet.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Sep 28, 2015
View attachment 161232

Monsieur Houbigant smells really, really nice. Yesterday, I found and bought the Eau de Cologne on ebay (Europe, still 5 remaining, if someone's interested); I'll let you know how it smells, if anybody is interested. Too bad there isn't a topic about this one...but I know the site is in mutation, so new entries for scents are not a priority, which is absolutely normal.

EDIT is it mint I can detect after a few hours ? if so, it's a very refined and fresh mint, not overwhelming at all, not "toothpaste"...discreet.
Hey do you detect mint in cologne too.
I think they used to put Menthol in aftershave back then

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Like spearmint gum? Breath mints or something similar?

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Finally Varanis Ridari will be happy with me!!!

Avon Oland aftershave in a railway switchlamp shaped splash bottle. As expected, strong for an AS.

The second sailboat shaped bottle - I lost track of the name as it was a small sticker on the bottom. Any idea which Avon this is? It's definitely not Oland.

PXL_20210911_234005053.jpg

PXL_20210911_234137875.jpg
PXL_20210911_234137875.jpg
PXL_20210911_234147546.jpg
PXL_20210911_234019654.jpg
PXL_20210911_233842959.jpg
PXL_20210911_233937410.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Finally Varanis Ridari will be happy with me!!!

Avon Oland aftershave in a railway switchlamp shaped splash bottle. As expected, strong for an AS.

The second sailboat shaped bottle - I lost track of the name as it was a small sticker on the bottom. Any idea which Avon this is? It's definitely not Oland.

View attachment 161258

View attachment 161259
View attachment 161259
View attachment 161260
View attachment 161261
View attachment 161262
View attachment 161263

Awwww.. when was I ever not happy with you? :lolk:

As for that second bottle, I'd have to smell it, or you give me the best note breakdown you can.

If I had to guess by the bottle itself, maybe WIndjammer (1968)? If it has this cool peppery woody tonka vibe like a smoother Pino Silvestri crossed with maybe some Skin Bracer and a faux-aquatic feel (before dihydromyrcenol existed), then that's Windjammer.

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
^^^ I meant, proud of me...

As for the sailboat fragrance, I'll check it tonight. Oland probably overpowered this on the night I tested both.

Marand75

Heaven's made of Oakmoss!
Basenotes Plus
Feb 9, 2018

Latest News